Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-27-2013, 04:25 AM   #1
longwayfromhome

Trader Rating: (0)
longwayfromhome is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is a Is300 2jzge going to work for a 240 s14 swap?

Okay, so I have a 2004 Lexus Is300. I love the motor but am not in love with the car. I love the 240sx s14 bodystyle and would love to build a strong import. Up until now I've only messed around building small block domestic cars i.e. Mustangs. What I need to know before purchasing a 240 is if my non-turbo stock 2jz ge will work and produce power? I would eventually add a turbo of course. Just don't want to buy another motor if I don't have too.

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2013, 05:15 AM   #2
BigPawr
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
BigPawr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Are you going to remove the motor from a perfectly driving IS300 to put in an S14? I'd highly recommend you not to do this for financial reasons. However, to speak on putting a 2JZ of any kind in a 240, there is a thread dedicated to this in the engine subforum of the tech section. That will answer all of your physical swap challenges, and touch a bit on wiring.
BigPawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Yeah but why? Get a jdm GTE motor.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
SLiDe_WaYz
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
SLiDe_WaYz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
Yeah but why? Get a jdm GTE motor.
The GE heads flow more than a GTE. That's really the only benefit. It's $1000 cheaper than a GTE as well.

Keep the IS as is man. Your looking at a $1800 engine, $1000 R154, plus conversion parts. Lets say you buy a Zenki for 3K your still looking at another 6K roughly for the swap. Not worth it IMO.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
longwayfromhome

Thanks for your feedback guys. @Bigpawr - The Is is running fine. But if I'm going to keep the car I'd like to pull the motor and use it in something else. I have other plans for that car. If its a concern of qhat I could get for the car by selling it, I'm aware of what its worth. @Slide_Wayz - You think I could do it for around 6k? Thats the swap and tuning right? No suspension, wheels or tires? I will price some jdm motors and see whats out there. Just seems silly to buy another since I plan on pulling that one out of the Is anyway.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
chaosli

chaosli is an unknown quantity at this point
If you r already pulling the jz out use it by all means. ge turbo has been around for ages it'll make power no problem.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2
chaosli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
lysticalz
Zilvia Member

lysticalz is an unknown quantity at this point
if your going to throw away 6k, you can keep the 2j in the is and just get an sr for the s14 with some supporting mods. you'll have two running cars in that case.
lysticalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
You could do this swap for way less then 6k. If you just want to do a ge swap you can get one from a junked sc300 and a r154 transmission from a mk3 supra turbo. The expensive parts of this swap are the conversion bellhousing (which runs about $340) to mate the 7m r154 with the 2jz and the driveshaft. Mount kits can be had for fairly cheap depending on who you buy them from and the swap itself is fairly straight forward as long as you have some experience with wiring and reading wiring diagrams. If I remember right when I was considering this swap the total was somewhere around $2000-2500 for everything, granted that was using a junkyard motor and transmission. I ended up ditching the idea in favor of a sr20 swap because it just made more sense to me in the long run. If you do decide to try this swap I would not use the motor from your is300 since I see no reason to ruin a perfectly good car.
Rustys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Yes the motor fits and in the long run you can turbo the setup. I am using a GE block with GTE head. Look at the JZ swap thread in the tech section.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
longwayfromhome

Okay thanks. I have a machinist that will handle the bellhousing mate, we talked that over already. I'm not to savvy on wiring, I would probably find someone here in SoCal to handle that portion. The Is will be gone soon if I don't use the motor, I won't elaborate, but I'm not concerned with ruining it. The trans is on its way out as well. Love all the info here and I'm shopping for an s14 this weekend.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #11
SLiDe_WaYz
Zilvia FREAK!

What's the IS look like? Ill buy the shell depending on condition.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #12
white_is
Leaky Injector

white_is is an unknown quantity at this point
Check out my.is forums. Most guys won't even go boost without lowering compression. Cheapest method and most common is a thicker head gasket and ARP head studs. You'll be limited on how much power you can make though

Another relatively cheap option is to swap GTE internals in.

The older non vvti GE's handle boost much better than the vvti variant.

I have a spare GE out of a 2002 IS I am planning on building for my IS. I'd sell it but not sure about shipping it...
white_is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
longwayfromhome

@ Slide_Wayz I bought the car almost a year ago. It had 34k miles on it. Its about 54k now. The body and interior are excellent. Dark blue, all black interior, gray headliner. The problem with the car is its up for repo. I know they will sell at auction for next to nothing and I'll be stuck with the bill. Thats why I figured if I'm getting stuck with the debt I should at least use the engine. So long story short, no pink on the car. Sorry bro. I've thought about building this car, but had purchased it as a daily driver. Its aprox 1000lbs heavier than a s14 with a much more narrow wheel base. My challenge here would be getting the hp to the ground without flaring the rear and looking ghetto.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #14
SLiDe_WaYz
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longwayfromhome View Post
@ Slide_Wayz I bought the car almost a year ago. It had 34k miles on it. Its about 54k now. The body and interior are excellent. Dark blue, all black interior, gray headliner. The problem with the car is its up for repo. I know they will sell at auction for next to nothing and I'll be stuck with the bill. Thats why I figured if I'm getting stuck with the debt I should at least use the engine. So long story short, no pink on the car. Sorry bro. I've thought about building this car, but had purchased it as a daily driver. Its aprox 1000lbs heavier than a s14 with a much more narrow wheel base. My challenge here would be getting the hp to the ground without flaring the rear and looking ghetto.
Whats the payoff on it? I want it. PM me.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #15
BoredEE
Leaky Injector

BoredEE is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

This thread should turn epic due to this post
BoredEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #16
longwayfromhome

@ BoredEE oh good I'm glad. I tried getting the car refinanced a month ago but no one will because it older than 7 years. So I told them I'd stop making payments until they would work that out. Not a big
Old 01-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #17
zurud
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
zurud is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
is300 is only 400 lbs heavier than s14.
zurud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:42 AM   #18
Legoctf
Leaky Injector

Legoctf is an unknown quantity at this point
is300's are also kinda rare... Id be just trying to sell the car flat out and buy a 2j swap separately... You'd probably make money honestly..
Old 01-28-2013, 07:59 AM   #19
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Damn dude, if I were you I would do everything in my power to try to get caught up with your payments since I would much rather have good credit then a 2j s14. Just my 2 cents...
Old 01-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #20
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

My bad, double post.

Last edited by Rustys14; 01-29-2013 at 11:10 PM..
Old 01-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #21
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
Living the american life. Awesomeeeeeeee
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #22
kalypso123
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡

Trader Rating: (2)
kalypso123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
the IS is sooo dope.
kalypso123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #23
drscooper
Zilvia Addict

drscooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalypso123 View Post
the IS is sooo dope.
what i was going to say

and this thread needs to be locked no need for this
drscooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #24
BigPawr
Leaky Injector

BigPawr is an unknown quantity at this point
So you can't pay for the car, but you can afford to take on a relatively expensive swap into a 240 and get under 200whp. Honestly I wouldn't even worry about asking for advice on swapping a 240. I'd just ask for financial advice on how to get out of the car payment issue you're in. No need to ruin an IS300, a potential 240sx, and your credit. Go talk to the loan company and just tell them you can't pay for it and see what alternative paths they can provide so that both sides don't waste time and money. Financial institutions love to settle on shit. Just give the car back, try to walk away financially clean and start over with a better financial decision on transportation. In short be a responsible adult, be smart, make good choices in life, keep a job, work hard at it, and live within your means.
BigPawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #25
LockOn!
Zilvia FREAK!

LockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustys14 View Post
The expensive parts of this swap are the conversion bellhousing (which runs about $340) to mate the 7m r154 with the 2jz and the driveshaft.
Dude what?

7m's have a W58 Transmission which is what requires the conversion bell housing. R154 should bolt right up to a JZ.

You have 2 options here. Expensive and kinda difficult to find R154 that will not explode. Or cheap plentiful W58 which requires a conversion bellhousing but will 'splode somewhere between 300-400 hp.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:29 PM   #26
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockOn! View Post
Dude what?

7m's have a W58 Transmission which is what requires the conversion bell housing. R154 should bolt right up to a JZ.

You have 2 options here. Expensive and kinda difficult to find R154 that will not explode. Or cheap plentiful W58 which requires a conversion bellhousing but will 'splode somewhere between 300-400 hp.
Sorry man, but you are wrong. The turbo mkIII Supras did in fact come with a r154. The MkIII r154s have different bellhousings (because it was mated to a 7mgte) and a slightly different tailshaft design (still would work for the pourpose of a swap). The NA MKIIIs are the ones that came with a w58 transmission and yes, they aren't very strong. That is why I specified MKIII turbo in my original post. I'm not trying to start a fight, I just want to stop the spread of any mis-information. If you don't believe me google it.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #27
Tantwoforty
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (20)
Tantwoforty is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
You dont have to use the r154, there are planey of much cheaper options out there like a 300sx tranny, rb tranny or a 350z tranny. You just need a diffrent bell housing. Ive done a few 2j 240 swaps using these trannys, Its easy and you save cash.

and the GE makes more then 200hp and feels awesome in a 240

its a easy swap if you can wire it yourself ( all you have to do is give the ecu power and ground and hook it up to the dash plug pretty much.)
Tantwoforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #28
ReEducation
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
ReEducation is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Stock GE has 10:1 compression. If you use pump gas, I suggest a GTE HG. If you use E85 as your fuel stock compression is fine if not more ideal considering E85's properties. They make brackets that work with stock motor mounts and the R154. Someone posted the 2jzge pinouts on here or NICO. The info is there, just search. I'm in the process of piecing together my GE swap. It's plenty doable, you just have to have patience and determination like any other swap that isn't plug and play
ReEducation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #29
russian
Zilvia FREAK!

russian is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to russian
this is a terrible idea unless you want to go with a aristo 2jz for the is300 and you will have a spare motor to play with from the is, which is NA higher comp 2jz.... its really not worth the trouble imho and the stock manual tranny w56 ( i cant remember exact nomenclature) is REALLY weak. if you boost you have to either get getrag 6 speed or r154 5 speed.

anyways. dont do it. unless you got the $$$. i thought of this before when i had a spare s14 shell and my 03 5 speed is300