Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:29 AM   #1
boosted2awd

Trader Rating: (0)
boosted2awd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
where are all the AWD S14 RB26? any feedback on the current kit?

Mainly Interested on the kit that is being offered by full-race
I cant seem find users that have installed one using the kit.

Looking to make 800awhp.

and since this is my first noobie post.
No im not a Skyline fan boy or s14 for that matter.

ive built:
500whp v8 260z
530awhp 1g talon
600whp ws6

how ever ive recently ran into the Rocket Bunny S14 and really like it(like really liked it that it made me consider s14 as the next base for my project.)

Plus I think im done building rwd for street use. at 600whp launching from a stop is stupid, I cant see that getting any better with 800rwhp. So going to give awd another shot.(didnt really like the look of the talons/eclipse so i sold that car)(not a fan how evo/wrx look)

with that said looking to see some feedback like fitment issues, or is it true bolt on and go.

Thanks
boosted2awd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2017, 02:52 AM   #2
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Pretty sure nobody on this forum but FullRace has had the kit or installed it.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:26 AM   #3
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Pretty sure nobody on this forum who doesn't own a shop can afford the kit.
Fixed.

Also, hope your pockets are deep. RB's are expensive. Do tons and tons of research into your oiling system if you want it to make it out of your driveway without catastrophic failure.

Also, don't ruin another s-chassis with a rocket bunny kit.
tuzzio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #4
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
That kit is not a bolt on affair, if you are serious about the kit contact Full Race and get the information from them.

Oh and be ready to spend a mountain of cash, this swap is not cheap.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:57 AM   #5
boosted2awd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
Fixed.

Also, hope your pockets are deep. RB's are expensive. Do tons and tons of research into your oiling system if you want it to make it out of your driveway without catastrophic failure.

Also, don't ruin another s-chassis with a rocket bunny kit.
yea did some initial funding planning already. This is looking like a 15-20k total project But this could be a 600awhp build only-I havent look into too much detailed about making everything 800awhp proff. Which to me is great. Get it to 600 with just basic refresh on the engine/not a full build and drive that around to sort out all kinks and then push for more after.

Personal opinion. I think It looks great and without that kit I wont even consider It as a base for my project. I just dont like how the front look stock or with other kits. So yea its getting one for sure.

why does it have to be a shop? I see tons of swap 240sx all over the net, 240sx owners not do swap in their garage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb13 View Post
That kit is not a bolt on affair, if you are serious about the kit contact Full Race and get the information from them.

Oh and be ready to spend a mountain of cash, this swap is not cheap.
I would contact them but i was hoping that I would get someone that isnt associated with then to give an UNBIASED opinion about overall quality and fitment. Shops that sell it wont exactly tell me if their product has fitment issues for example.

What kind of budget do you see for this? I see it as being 15-20k from start to finish.(again as I mention above at 600awhp though) 800 will come after everything is sorted out.

Sorry I need to explain my definition of bolt on. my definition of bolt is nothing big fabrication like custom A arm, sub frame etc that i have to design from scratch. Basically if all I needed to do is(buy their kit and) cut or shave areas/drill holes/weld thats a bolt on.

If i need to make my own design mount for the front diff, a arms etc or if this has massive fitment issues, RB is out I might as well drop an AWD LS in there

to give you an example of what goes on in my garage. This is my current project. Receiving an LS swap with turbo, engine pushed back.
Everything in this car is custom, nothing I can buy would work. BUT im also not fabricating any mounts for suspension, front diff etc.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:24 AM   #6
gaz_moose
Zilvia Member

gaz_moose is an unknown quantity at this point
basically the 32/33/34 GTR has a totally different front subframe/chassis legs/inner wings to an s13 or s14. so you would need to cut out your inner wings and weld in some 4wd skyline ones then notch your chassis rails for your front drive shafts. then you could fit a 4wd front subframe. the rear is basically the same so just keep your s14 stuff. the transmission tunnel might need some hammer action to clear the bulge on the rear of the 4wd box.
gaz_moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:03 AM   #7
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
............or you could just buy a GTR??

There is a S13 is AUS running 8s (I think into the 7s now with the GTR drivetrain) that just recently went to a full GTR drivetrain. PJ's Quick Bits Nissan S13 Silvia. They run a VET, big 71+mm turbo, etc.

Maybe reach out to them to see. But IMHO, complete waste and there is probably a reason you see all of maybe 5 sold in the world as people will just buy a GTR and be done.

Goodluck to ya!
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:55 AM   #8
feito
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I dont think it would be a complete waste if you have plenty of spare time and do all the fabrication work yourself. Have you look at FR kit pictures? It's pretty basic stuff, just a matter of presicion.
I would want an awd s14. I was this close to starting a mirage-evo project.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:50 PM   #9
boosted2awd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz_moose View Post
basically the 32/33/34 GTR has a totally different front subframe/chassis legs/inner wings to an s13 or s14. so you would need to cut out your inner wings and weld in some 4wd skyline ones then notch your chassis rails for your front drive shafts. then you could fit a 4wd front subframe. the rear is basically the same so just keep your s14 stuff. the transmission tunnel might need some hammer action to clear the bulge on the rear of the 4wd box.
sounds simple enough, Are you speaking about the kit or full custom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
............or you could just buy a GTR??

There is a S13 is AUS running 8s (I think into the 7s now with the GTR drivetrain) that just recently went to a full GTR drivetrain. PJ's Quick Bits Nissan S13 Silvia. They run a VET, big 71+mm turbo, etc.

Maybe reach out to them to see. But IMHO, complete waste and there is probably a reason you see all of maybe 5 sold in the world as people will just buy a GTR and be done.

Goodluck to ya!
are you talking about the newer GTR? Thats a huge price difference(55k for used one). I have other cars that I would much rather own with that amount of money.

if your talking about r32/33/34, good luck registering one in California to be driven as a DD also not a fan or RHD.

I dont see this as being a waste at all.
1. I enjoy building and modding just as much as driving them so im not one to just "buy the latest sports car and be done"
2. Look at the power to weight. Look at how Heavy these new cars are, its a shame really.
3. an awd s14 will be much faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by feito View Post
I dont think it would be a complete waste if you have plenty of spare time and do all the fabrication work yourself. Have you look at FR kit pictures? It's pretty basic stuff, just a matter of presicion.
I would want an awd s14. I was this close to starting a mirage-evo project.
I have seen their pictures. But im really looking for actual peoples experience with the kit to see if its worth the price.

lol precision is the hardest part of any build. Start an AWD s14 and lmk how it goes lol
Old 06-28-2017, 02:08 PM   #10
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
1) Cool. Be prepared for lots of downpipe....I mean downtime........awaiting partout 3 months later from when the project gets started
2) It wont be much lighter than an equivalent GTR
3) See # 2
4) Referring to R32-34 GTR
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:17 PM   #11
boosted2awd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
1) Cool. Be prepared for lots of downpipe....I mean downtime........awaiting partout 3 months later from when the project gets started
2) It wont be much lighter than an equivalent GTR
3) See # 2
4) Referring to R32-34 GTR
1. I take it you dont take on big projects?
all big project takes a long time. Thats normal, where not exactly talking about your intake and exhaust mods...

I dont understand this 3 months later comment. Is that common in this forum? because If I start it, its getting finished. I mean my current project is already past that at 10 months down time, which i dont expect to be running till December.

2. ok if you were talking about the R32-34 yes it wont be much lighter BUT it can be. I can see some weight reduction(but again same with R)
I did not consider this option however b/c of it not being able to be registered IN CALIFORNIA. Where I live... Not willing to relocate for a car and certainly not willing to over pay for it just so I can DD it. Not worth it.

This wont be a show car or track this is 100% DD duty as all of my projects cars are after they are completed.

anyways you are more than welcome to check out my build and see how far i go. Everything is basically garage build only shop time is tuning.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:00 AM   #12
gaz_moose
Zilvia Member

gaz_moose is an unknown quantity at this point
I was talking about how to get OEM GTR running gear to fit the front of an s14.

I seen one done years ago and they had to weld in the GTR strut towers to take the GTR front struts.
gaz_moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:31 AM   #13
Maxstyle
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
Maxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond reputeMaxstyle has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
This is an example of the 2 car guy theory. Those with gas in their veins and those with gas on the brain. The Gas on the brain guys normally do the building, they enjoy the process and don't really care about time to build. They build process is the real joy. The gas in the veins guy is the guy who want the driving activity. They keep things a bit more simple with the focus of getting out there and run. It's the driving part that motivates them more the then the project itself. Neither is better than the other, it's just a matter of personal satisfaction.

That being said. Having driven an R33 GTR and owning an S14, I will say that the R33 GTR felt just like an S14 but in AWD form. Even the smell was the same. It's like that smell that S13's have which are like the R32 chassis. Its amazing how familiar the car was to mine. My R33 GTST was even more like the S14. I don't see any major benefits though. You and I can talk about weight and blah blah but for that to really be a factor, do you have the talent on track to make that a factor. I see people put down times then strip some weights only to get a time that really didn't justify the effort. Like the guys that pull the AC because of weight savings. I'll sacrifice that .01 of a second to keep cool thank you. If you do begin make sure you do a build thread. It would be interesting to see.
Maxstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:11 AM   #14
boosted2awd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz_moose View Post
I was talking about how to get OEM GTR running gear to fit the front of an s14.

I seen one done years ago and they had to weld in the GTR strut towers to take the GTR front struts.
are you talking about this build thread? unfortunately no progress pics.
I didnt find very many finished swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxstyle View Post
This is an example of the 2 car guy theory. Those with gas in their veins and those with gas on the brain. The Gas on the brain guys normally do the building, they enjoy the process and don't really care about time to build. They build process is the real joy. The gas in the veins guy is the guy who want the driving activity. They keep things a bit more simple with the focus of getting out there and run. It's the driving part that motivates them more the then the project itself. Neither is better than the other, it's just a matter of personal satisfaction.

That being said. Having driven an R33 GTR and owning an S14, I will say that the R33 GTR felt just like an S14 but in AWD form. Even the smell was the same. It's like that smell that S13's have which are like the R32 chassis. Its amazing how familiar the car was to mine. My R33 GTST was even more like the S14. I don't see any major benefits though. You and I can talk about weight and blah blah but for that to really be a factor, do you have the talent on track to make that a factor. I see people put down times then strip some weights only to get a time that really didn't justify the effort. Like the guys that pull the AC because of weight savings. I'll sacrifice that .01 of a second to keep cool thank you. If you do begin make sure you do a build thread. It would be interesting to see.
Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify the weight comparison was because i wasnt sure if he was referring to the latest GTR.
In which case its a huge difference.

If the car is strictly track, skill or not I would pull what ever isnt used. But im guessing your talking DD. In which case yea agree, I would do other weight reduction and keep a/c and PS.

Please clarify on what you dont see real benefits of? the conversion of AWD?
Old 07-04-2017, 06:09 AM   #15
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
What kind of budget do you see for this? I see it as being 15-20k from start to finish.(again as I mention above at 600awhp though) 800 will come after everything is sorted out.
15-20k is the budget needed just for the engine. It may not even be enough. Add 10K and maybe that will be enough.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:06 AM   #16
lewisfk
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
lewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Rawbrokerage you can get a fully built RB25Det for 11k, send in core! Damn near a turn key! Rb26det is 13k and with extra parts it might be 15k.

http://www.rawbrokerage.com/engine-p...crate-engines/

Last edited by lewisfk; 07-04-2017 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: Added link.
lewisfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:28 AM   #17
boosted2awd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
15-20k is the budget needed just for the engine. It may not even be enough. Add 10K and maybe that will be enough.
why so much at 600whp?

I mean at 800whp yes i see that as I mentioned already.

From what I gathered stock internals can handle that much(600whp)-well according to gtr forums 500-550 but close enough that i dont have a problem pushing it). Was I mistaken, is it much weaker?

at 5-6k(but lets say 7k for other extras) for an imported rb26
500-1000 to refresh. 8k total

mods

single 320 aem pump 100
injectors 400-700 depending if used vs new)
regulator 100

single t4 turbo manifold $120
turbo $400
WG $60
single 3" straight through exhaust $250

intercooler $150
piping $60
bov $50

I think this is probably in the range where water/meth inj is needed(but correct me if im wrong) so adding $350

clutch - havent looked this up yet for this specific but im gauging it will be in the 500-800 if not cheaper. But again without fully looking into this it could easily more if thats all thats available(but unlikely)

= rougly $3500 adding in random bits.

so thats looking like 11.5k but thats a non deal prices. meaning rushed without looking for a budget pricing.

factor in 6k for the swap kit or if front clip is a much cheaper route then that may just be a better route.

total 17.5k

adding in a bunch of random little things you buy when you do a swap

grand total of roughly 20k

I originally priced it at 15-20k because I believe I can get that engine a bit cheaper and refresh it for a lot less. (basic refresh and save the money instead for a full build) I have also consider not using a kit in which case i think is significantly cheaper.

One thing i did not include is pcm/ecu. Simple because im not sure if a standalone is needed or if rb26 has similar things available for it like ecmlink or hptuners which is really cheap for what it can do.

on a side note:
i definitely agree that its in the more expensive side of things.(in fact the initial cost of the engine and kit is one of the major reasons why I made a post here and ask about the kit.)

Personally I think there is a better contender for cheaper BUT all custom work.