Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Z Chassis

Z Chassis Technical discussion related to the Z Chassis such as the S30, S310, Z31, Z32, Z33 and Z34.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
Chaluska
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Chaluska is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Z32 5 speed shifter spring upgrade...

i just was experimenting in my garage while my VH is being worked on, and seen this on frsport...

i have the Z1 motorsports short shifter, and a shifter relocation plate that shortens the shift rod, and its pretty clicky already, but i wanted to see how retarted it could get...

I went and pulled the return spring nuts off each side of the shifter (27mm) and there is a small spring inside that goes over the plunger. its large enough that you can fit a smaller spring inside. I had some springs left over in a huge "family pack" of misc springs that i got from home depot a while ago..

inside this kit there are 2 springs which are about 1/8" diameter x 1" long, and fit around the plunger shaft extremely tight. they are pretty tough to compress, and are about 1/4" too long to allow for full shifting compression. i dremmeled it down to length and popped it on the shaft. tossed the OEM spring on over that and re-screwed everything back together.

initial impressions while its sitting on the garage is about a 30% increase in resistance when going from left to right with the shfiter. i personally like the feel more so than a lighter shifter movement. shifting left into 1st had the nice resistance. shifting 1>2 is normal/stock, 2>3 felt slightly more "assisted" than stock due to the increased spring pressure. and of course 3>4 was normal/stock. 4>5 had the additional 30% resistance, but i like the added feel.

install on the garage floor took about 30 seconds per side, in the car.... lets just say the z32 transmission is a super tight fit in an S13 with a VH. i cant compare to an actual Z32 transmission tunnel.

you should be able to do this in car, minimal transmission fluid may be lost. it should be pretty good and sealed, but my fingers got a little wet screwing around with the plunger.

felt good to save $50.00 and get the same effect...
Old 08-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
luckyz32

Trader Rating: (0)
luckyz32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
interesting lol thanks!
luckyz32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
Funny this came up- Gotta love that 'search' button

I just sold my old tranny recently to recoup some of my Z32 upgrade; and the lucky buyer got my HKS return springs w/it... I was kicking myself in the ass for letting them go as I found the SR and VG tranny return springs & plugs are nearly identical...

Anyway, having never seen your post... I went to Home Depot yesterday and got that very compression spring kit and did the very same thing you did... I was so excited at achieving the same (if not better) effect as the $100 HKS kit for $3-4 that I was going to post the very same writeup in all the forums I'm on.... Thanks to you good sir, I only need to post a link!

Listen up!!!

For those of you with ANY manual transmission with a short-shifter; this cheap mod will make your shifter feel go from good to phenomenal in 10min or less- along with MUCH less chance of a mis-shift due to that 'slop' we all know & hate in the neutral area... I highly recommend this to all and will tell you that you will always call it the BEST $4 you ever spent on your car!!!

Props Chaluska!

--Mike
Old 08-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
Sir
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
Sir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud ofSir has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Kit isn't available in my local HD, only ship to store.
Sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #5
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Mikester is a well-known jackass
There are other kits... Any hardware store... Lowe's, Ace etc.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:14 AM   #6
Apex Eight
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Apex Eight is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just found this. Has anyone tried replacing the springs with just new OEM units? Wondering if their is any benefit to that. My S13 has over 200K miles and I doubt that the springs has even been changed so I'm thinking that even just new OEM springs would help. I'll report back if I do end up doing this.
Apex Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:48 PM   #7
Apex Eight
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Apex Eight is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Alrighty, so I did end up getting some OEM springs, but they honestly made no difference. I guess these don't really wear out over time. I ended up picking up a set of assorted springs from Home Depot (pictured) for around $5 and they came with a size that worked perfect for this application. Didn't bother measuring them, but they fit inside the OEM spring decently snug and are pretty much the same length. The coils are a little thicker than the OEM spring coils and take a bit more effort to compress. They have really taken out a lot of the slop from the shifter. So much so that I don't think I'll need a short shifter anymore.

Apex Eight is offline   Reply With Quote