Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:42 PM   #1
NissanRWD
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
NissanRWD is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
KA24DE OEM Nissan Fan Clutch Engages up to ~3k everytime on start up after changing

BEFORE YOU SUGGEST EFANS, I already decided on a fan clutch setup so just don't even mention it because that's not helpful.

So my original fan clutch used to disengage after like 5 seconds of driving it. When the engine was warm and I'd start it, I wouldn't even hear it.

Of course it went out and I had to get a new one from autozone which was some cheap generic one that weighed almost twice as much. That made me sound like a semi and wouldn't disengage until I went 3k rpm after starting, then it'd be quiet.

Now I installed a new oem fan clutch (lighter) along with the gktech fan (more air) and it's doing the same thing, except wayyy quieter.

Granted it's a different fan but the issue should be with the fan clutch engaging. Old fan was beat up a bit anyway

A couple of factors:

-top part of the shroud broke off because I had to put on the autozone fan clutch right before a final and i panicked... this is the only thing I factor that remains changed.
(Have yet to find a replacement)

-just changed my water pump, was doing this before and after

-about to change my thermostat for preventative maintenance

Theoretically I should be able to get it back to how it was prior to it going out the first time so don't just say oh it's supposed to do that or to go efans. It's Zilvia so I figured I'm gonna get those answers anyway [emoji52]

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
NissanRWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2017, 01:16 AM   #2
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
what exactly is the problem. the engine is overheating? I've seen clutch fans run behind stock radiators without a shroud and still cool the engine fine.

Can you be more specific besides the way it sounds?

I tried re-reading your post and it says the number 3k which is an RPM I assume, so the engine is revving to 3k when you start it? What makes you think that has anything to do with the fan (you can't actually mean that) so I am confuzzles
Old 01-16-2017, 01:56 AM   #3
NissanRWD
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
what exactly is the problem. the engine is overheating? I've seen clutch fans run behind stock radiators without a shroud and still cool the engine fine.

Can you be more specific besides the way it sounds?

I tried re-reading your post and it says the number 3k which is an RPM I assume, so the engine is revving to 3k when you start it? What makes you think that has anything to do with the fan (you can't actually mean that) so I am confuzzles
Haha sorry I wrote it in a haste so I didn't read over it to see if it made sense.

The engine isn't overheating, car idles perfect and has no issues with anything else.

Basically whenever I turn on the car (cold start or normal temp start) the fan will be fully engaged (Loud truck noise that results from it being fully engaged. It only should fully engage when the car is overheating) until I reach 3k-4k rpm when driving. It didn't do that before when I had the first oem fan clutch.

It's the fact that it's engaged longer than before that bothers me. When the car is cold it should turn off in like 5 seconds because the ecu will read that the temp isn't hot but it continues until I reach a high rpm which it shouldn't. I figured maybe it was a cold start thing but when the car is at normal temp and I turn it back on even if it's just a few minutes later, it still fully engages despite engine temp already being normal and the ecu knowing that

Old 01-31-2017, 11:35 PM   #4
JettNebulis

JettNebulis is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry if im misreading this, but if you are using a stock clutch the ecu has nothing to do with it. The fan clutch i believe is based on how fast it's spinning and the clutch engages when the fan is basically useless because air would be cooling it a lot better it shuts off. I wouldn't really worry about it too much it's not really hurting anything (i know this because my clutch is out so it's always spinning).
JettNebulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:56 PM   #5
ATLspeed
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
ATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to beholdATLspeed is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Haven't had a KA in a while but I do have a clutch fan on my 2j. As long as it's not on all the time, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Highly doubt the new oem clutch is bad. Possible but least likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettNebulis View Post
...The fan clutch i believe is based on how fast it's spinning and the clutch engages when the fan is basically useless...
Clutch fan is operated by radiant temperature. There's a "thermostat" on the front of the clutch that it reads from.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:23 PM   #6
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
I love the truck fan sound of the KA engine. just enjoy it....
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:07 PM   #7
NissanRWD
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLspeed View Post
Haven't had a KA in a while but I do have a clutch fan on my 2j. As long as it's not on all the time, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Highly doubt the new oem clutch is bad. Possible but least likely.

Clutch fan is operated by radiant temperature. There's a "thermostat" on the front of the clutch that it reads from.
It tends to turn on maybe 5/10 times if I'm at a red light for a few minutes. Temperature doesn't rise or anything. Even on cold days. That's what pisses me off most. But yeah I'm wondering what triggers that "thermostat" on the fan clutch