Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Z Chassis

Z Chassis Technical discussion related to the Z Chassis such as the S30, S310, Z31, Z32, Z33 and Z34.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:14 AM   #1
QuickShift

Trader Rating: (0)
QuickShift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to QuickShift Send a message via MSN to QuickShift
Z32 TT turbine housing swap?

I'm swapping engines on a 95 twin turbo with a manual trans, and the motor I bought turns out to be from an automatic... The turbos on this engine use the .54 turbo exhaust housings, while the manual uses the .63

My question is: Will the .54 housings line up with the stock exhaust that is meant for the 'manual' turbos? I know the flanges are the same, but I don't know if the spacing is different..

I would just use the .63's but one is damaged. Just hoping someone knows before I go through the work to find out lol....
QuickShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2015, 10:36 AM   #2
QuickShift

Just for the archives:

The automatic (.54) turbine housings have nearly the same dimensions as the manual (.63) for mounting, but the wastegates are different. I tried installing the automatic wastegate actuators and still couldn't get it to fit properly. Not sure whats going on, I tried clocking the turbo and still couldn't get it right.

Where the actuator rod meets the wastegate, the .54 is slanted while the .63 is nearly 90*.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:50 AM   #3
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
The problem is the physicl dimension. If a wheel that is made to fit in the .63 housing, it will have a difficult timing squeezing into something physically smaller.

I am not versed in Z, but that would be my first issue I would think of.
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:00 AM   #4
QuickShift

The turbine/fan is the same on both turbos. I bolted both housings on before I mounted the wastegates and realized they were stuck open with no pressure at the actuator.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:43 AM   #5
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Then you should be fine (apart from wastegate mounting and full stroke operation)
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote