Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-01-2010, 06:50 PM   #151
Ghostdrifter
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Ghostdrifter is making a name for him/her selfGhostdrifter is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Kognition in which way did the JIC team modify the rear toe mount? Did they rotate it so the pick up point is lower?
Old 01-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #152
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
They made it so the toe arm is parallel to the LCA, how it is from the factory.

Instagram - SJKnoop
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #153
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
That's a good idea. Moving the steering rack forward by moving that whole chunk of subframe forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknolust72 View Post
My friend was the race mechanic for the JIC S15 last year, and he mentioned they also raised their entire steering rack by drilling out new position holes for the steering rack brackets.
Ahhhh, so they moved the FLCA inner pivots up and the steering rack. Keeping the arcs the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnie Fraz View Post
Formula D Rules, etc, etc.
Well, looks like I won't ever be competing in Forumula D. Oh well, I never did like FD.

I can see the modification thing, but no strengthening? I think that's kinda stupid.

Made some changes to the OG post.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #154
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (29)
Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonnie Fraz
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post

Well, looks like I won't ever be competing in Forumula D. Oh well, I never did like FD.

I can see the modification thing, but no strengthening? I think that's kinda stupid.

Made some changes to the OG post.
I hear ya! I am really not following the re-enforcing the subframe rule.
Tons of people out there running modded subframes, as well as the S14 subframe in the S13 chassis or s15 subframe in the S14.
Now the rules do state that you can get an exception from Formula D, but the pick up points can not be moved more than an inch.

I also remember a quote from one of the crew cheifs I ran across saying..." It's our job to cheat and it is their job to catch us."

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Jonnie Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:43 PM   #155
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:
I hear ya! I am really not following the re-enforcing the subframe rule.
Tons of people out there running modded subframes, as well as the S14 subframe in the S13 chassis or s15 subframe in the S14.
Now the rules do state that you can get an exception from Formula D, but the pick up points can not be moved more than an inch.
Hahaha, so how does that make sense? The pickup points can't be modified, but then they can?

Pretty dumb.

Clearly the front pickups were modified on the JIC S15. They must have got an exception.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:30 PM   #156
kognition
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (6)
kognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfectionkognition is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Remember that the S15 left the states sometime late last year. Maybe Oct or Dec. I don't follow the Drifting rules in FD, as i am not a drifter. But maybe they did not have rules restricting it at the time? How much did the car drift? I only know it from time attack. But in any case, it's gone now. And i think that they only have the S14 now. Which has been at the fabricators forever.

Quote:
Hahaha, so how does that make sense? The pickup points can't be modified, but then they can?

Pretty dumb.

Clearly the front pickups were modified on the JIC S15. They must have got an exception.
kognition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:41 PM   #157
udon!
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
udon! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Yeah Udon, PSM's front knuckles are not roll center adjusting. They just adjust for bump steer (tie rods).

That's why everyone is in for the Driftworks. Look on the first post. See how the hubs are moved up in the front knuckles (towards the shock mounting bolt holes)?

GOT IT! so basically if youre car is fucking slammed with driftworks or psm knucklesyou may not have perfect roll center, but its going to be ALOT better than stock knuckles because on the driftworks/psm knuckles the part that hooks up to the links is much lower than stock.

is that right?
udon! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:48 PM   #158
udon!
Nissanaholic!

how does a tension rod work?
how does a traction rod work?

can you guys show me pics of these installed?
Old 01-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #159
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by udon! View Post
GOT IT! so basically if youre car is fucking slammed with driftworks or psm knucklesyou may not have perfect roll center, but its going to be ALOT better than stock knuckles because on the driftworks/psm knuckles the part that hooks up to the links is much lower than stock.

is that right?
Exactly

Quote:
how does a tension rod work?
how does a traction rod work?

can you guys show me pics of these installed?
Pretty newbish stuff man, although the traction rod is a little harder to understand.

Found this stuff on PDM Racing

PDM Racing - Battle Version Suspension Parts

Tension Rods:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDM Racing
Adjustable TC Rods are crucial to increase positive caster on Nissans. Caster is a very good alignment quality to induce into your Nissan, as this allows you to reduce your static camber more, yet when the car turns in, negative camber will increase which generates higher cornering ability. Translation: less inner tire wear when the car is driving in a straight line which is over 85% of the time, yet when it comes time to corner, your car will have enough caster to create good negative camber to make your car feel like it’s cornering on rails. Also, having adjustable caster means you can equalize caster from left to right on your Nissan to maximize turning performance both left and right. (On our Hunter computerized alignment rack, we notice it’s common to see 240SX’s with left to right caster specs out by as much as 1.5 degrees. Some are from curbing accidents, others are off-balance straight from Nissan Japan!) By adding adjustable TC Rods, you ensure your car will corner equally fast turning left, or turning right.

The TC Rod is the ONLY arm that locates the bottom control arm on the 240SX. When a car is under severe braking from 100 mph, the force on that TC Rod is the most extreme force that any single suspension component will experience. So replacing the stock TC Rod bushings with a spherical bearing, will ensure under braking your front end will not shimmy or wander as caster and toe will change from the TC Rod bushing flexing back and forth. For example, many of our 300ZX customers complain of brake shimmy and thinking the rotor is the culprit, they have their rotors turned. Most often, the culprit is a worn OEM TC Rod bushing which is a viscous filled rubber membrane, which is good for comfort and compliance, but makes for a terrible locator for an arm that sees such severe duty. Over time, the stock outer membrane wears from repeated force, heat and oils. Quite often we see cars come into our shop with completely blown-open TC Rod bushings.
Traction Arms:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDM Racing
The forward traction link arms locate the rear spindle assembly, and controls the forward and aft movement of the rear upper suspension assembly on independent rear suspension (IRS) cars as the suspension moves through its’ engineered movement. While the stock stamped steel arms works fine for most applications, it’s when you drastically lower the car for race or drift, that there needs to be arm adjustment for setting the rear bump steer.

Bump steer, in short, is the change in toe settings a suspension has as it moves through it’s compression and rebound cycles. Nissan Engineers designed toe in under compression which is safer than toe out, but for optimum settings, racers like to have control of bump steer to dial in the amount of toe change their race cars will encounter as it goes over bumps and dips on the course. Cars that are “nervous” or “twitchy” are often ones that have bad bump steer, so the car literally steers itself as the car goes into a bump. While not as critical as the rear toe links or upper rear control arms, Battle Version Rear Forward Traction Link Arms will complete your rear suspension by positively locating the rear spindle for very minimal rear suspension for and aft flex. For those that know how to plot your rear bump steer, this allows these racers to properly set up the rear suspension to their personal tastes.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:40 PM   #160
udon!
Nissanaholic!

yaya. thats pretty much the last n00b shiz i didnt really know about. kinda was embarrassed to ask...
Old 01-01-2010, 11:44 PM   #161
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
yaya. thats pretty much the last n00b shiz i didnt really know about. kinda was embarrassed to ask...
Hahaha, It's cool man. I know how that is.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:47 PM   #162
PerilousActs
Zilvia Junkie

PerilousActs is an unknown quantity at this point
Does anyone have any books on suspension to recommend? This could be nice for us suspension noobs to learn from. Maybe websites covering the basics?
PerilousActs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:51 AM   #163
ballinnmiami240sx
Zilvia Junkie

ballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura about
2010 formula D rules state that the subframe can be modded for the exception of one member. What does that mean? They leave it kind vauged for the teams. NASA and SCCA 2010 rule books also do this. Different folks will interprit the rules the way they want. In any type of motorsport "Teams WIll Find an advantage" if there is not a rule. Thats why every year the rules have to be updated. Now there are ofcourse exception to any of these rules. Grandfathered laws and hate to say this but money.

I would think people want to build a track car following the latest rule books. Just makes sense!!!!
Old 01-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #164
Carbomb
Zilvia Junkie

Carbomb is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerilousActs View Post
Does anyone have any books on suspension to recommend? This could be nice for us suspension noobs to learn from. Maybe websites covering the basics?
How to make your car handle by fred puhn

Amazon.com: How to Make Your Car Handle (0075478000012): Fred Puhn: Books
I GOT THIS GIVING TO ME BY A FORMULA D TECH GUY.
GREAT BOOK

Home DECENT SITE ON ANGLE
Carbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #165
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Jonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfectionJonnie Fraz is close to perfection
Quote:

Pretty dumb.

Like Mike said the rules last year were allowing modification of the pick up points. It was like 1.5" in all directions if I remember correctly.

The new exception rule states:
8.3.8 Provisions for vehicles with Vehicle Identification numbers 0-129
Competition vehicles with VID numbers 0-129 can opt for exemption from
sections 8.1.1.1, 8.3.1, 8.3.2, 8.3.3, and 8.3.4.
In such case the following is true:
• Previously approved modifications of the firewall, subframe and
transmission tunnel, as indicted in the vehicles technical record are
allowed.
• Suspension pick-up points may be moved to within 1” of the OEM
“Pre 130” vehicles wishing not to use the 8.3.8 exemption must request a
new VID.

As for the member modification...The way I am interpeting it is that the sub frame may be modified, but can not be compleatly cut in in half, as to retain stock dimentions side to side.
For instance this sub frame...

would be illegal since it had been cut compleatly into three parts and welded back together, but if you did not cut the front plane and just cut out the rack mounting and moved it, then it would be legal.
The only reason I can figure that they went with this is to keep competitors from widening the pick up points.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Old 01-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #166
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerilousActs View Post
Borrowed this one from a friend, plan on buying it eventually

Allan Staniforth's Competition Car Suspension: A Practical Handbook

Amazon.com: Competition Car Suspension: A practical handbook (9781844253289): Allan Staniforth: Books
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #167
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
More Formula D rules
Well, that doesn't make it sound so bad.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #168
Carbomb
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Like Mike said the rules last year were allowing modification of the pick up points. It was like 1.5" in all directions if I remember correctly.

The new exception rule states:
8.3.8 Provisions for vehicles with Vehicle Identification numbers 0-129
Competition vehicles with VID numbers 0-129 can opt for exemption from
sections 8.1.1.1, 8.3.1, 8.3.2, 8.3.3, and 8.3.4.
In such case the following is true:
• Previously approved modifications of the firewall, subframe and
transmission tunnel, as indicted in the vehicles technical record are
allowed.
• Suspension pick-up points may be moved to within 1” of the OEM
“Pre 130” vehicles wishing not to use the 8.3.8 exemption must request a
new VID.

As for the member modification...The way I am interpeting it is that the sub frame may be modified, but can not be compleatly cut in in half, as to retain stock dimentions side to side.
For instance this sub frame...

would be illegal since it had been cut compleatly into three parts and welded back together, but if you did not cut the front plane and just cut out the rack mounting and moved it, then it would be legal.
The only reason I can figure that they went with this is to keep competitors from widening the pick up points.
This is 1 piece I cut the center out and moved it... so it would be "legal" as f last years rules... I think. its sectioned. not fully cut. FYI
Old 01-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #169
ballinnmiami240sx
Zilvia Junkie

ballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura aboutballinnmiami240sx has a spectacular aura about
so you chopped it in 3 peices and welded it back? That would not pass tech in 2010. I dont want to turn this into a rulebook debate. More talk about suspension.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:07 AM   #170
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
This is 1 piece I cut the center out and moved it... so it would be "legal" as f last years rules... I think. its sectioned. not fully cut. FYI
Not saying it is not great work, just by this years rules it is a no go.

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Old 01-03-2010, 12:47 AM   #171
Carbomb
Zilvia Junkie

2 pieces... you'll see if you do it...
Old 01-03-2010, 02:33 AM   #172
Jonnie Fraz
Premium Member

If you cut into two as long as the front plane was not cut then you are good to go. In the pic it looks like it was cut into three pieces. Sweet job, and great idea. How did it work out?

I did some major mods on some Ae86 lower control arms today. Added Battle Version adjusters, moved the holes for the TC rods 25mm inboard, built new adjustable sway bar mount, and plated the crap out of them. Should have cost a forture, but he is my sponsored driver.
Now for some pics...

Stealth-Custom-Fab.com
Old 01-03-2010, 03:20 AM   #173
VIPDRFT
Zilvia Junkie

VIPDRFT has a spectacular aura aboutVIPDRFT has a spectacular aura aboutVIPDRFT has a spectacular aura aboutVIPDRFT has a spectacular aura aboutVIPDRFT has a spectacular aura aboutVIPDRFT has a spectacular aura about
How would you adjust the rear roll center on a car that has a RUCA but no RLCA like this?

Would you have to modify the knuckle and/or raise the subframe? Thanks.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:03 AM   #174
Steve Lloyd
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Steve Lloyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Couldn't you just alter the mounting point on the struts (custom housings) to raise the spindle. There's already a guy that makes custom housings, but I was thinking you could alter the mounting location to put the spindle wherever you wanted it, and use more minor adjustments on the LCA.

Just a thought...........
Steve Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:07 AM   #175
240sxScores
Zilvia Junkie

240sxScores is making a name for him/her self240sxScores is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to 240sxScores
^^ I would say raise the subframe.

The upper control arm has a ball joint. So it would be the same as a car with RLCA just flipped upside down.
240sxScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #176
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
What kind of car is that?

You can do this for your lower arms (you'll have to weld in some flat metal on the one with a hole in it):

It looks like there's another arm on top of the spindle? You would need to correct that as well.

Changing the strut length will just raise the car up higher, which would correct the geometry - but defeat the purpose.

Instagram - SJKnoop
Old 01-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #177
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
That's similar to an E36/E46 rear suspension(BMW) - most of those guys just raise up the subframe as much as possible and call it good in the rear.

In our cars, the roll center doesn't drop as quickly in the rear as the front, so a huge amount of correction is not needed back there like the front.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #178
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Awesome thread guys... THose books could be found on google books. Here's a link to one.

How to make your car handle - Google Books
Old 01-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #179
ballinnmiami240sx
Zilvia Junkie

nice find. Ill have to read that later.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #180
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
That's similar to an E36/E46 rear suspension(BMW) - most of those guys just raise up the subframe as much as possible and call it good in the rear.

In our cars, the roll center doesn't drop as quickly in the rear as the front, so a huge amount of correction is not needed back there like the front.
So having it flat in the front and nearly flat in the back is ideal?

Instagram - SJKnoop