Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-07-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
Psycho 240 Freak
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Psycho 240 Freak is making his/her stupidity well-knownPsycho 240 Freak is making his/her stupidity well-knownPsycho 240 Freak is making his/her stupidity well-knownPsycho 240 Freak is making his/her stupidity well-knownPsycho 240 Freak is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Could this be a bad turbo?

HKS GT2530 on a S13 SR20 @ 17 psi

Symptoms:
1. Makes a grinding like sound from the turbo when I hit full throttle
2. Does not build boost but I didn't keep my foot on the gas for too long either
3. Blue smoke came from around the turbine and turbo elbow area, once that I noticed
4. After hitting full throttle for about a second and the rpms drop back down, the turbo would make a grinding noise for about a second
5. Rattling noise coming from the turbo during idle and normal driving

Things I've already checked:
1. Turbo is not loose from the manifold or elbow
2. All hoses are secure and tighten
3. Shaft play about 1 to 2 mm
4. Turbo spins freely

Anything else I should check? So do you guys think the turbo's done? I need to be sure before I go out and get a new one.
Psycho 240 Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2008, 10:35 PM   #2
Clowny
Leaky Injector

Clowny is a splendid one to beholdClowny is a splendid one to beholdClowny is a splendid one to beholdClowny is a splendid one to beholdClowny is a splendid one to beholdClowny is a splendid one to beholdClowny is a splendid one to beholdClowny is a splendid one to beholdClowny is a splendid one to beholdClowny is a splendid one to beholdClowny is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Clowny Send a message via Yahoo to Clowny
is the shaft play side to side, front to back, or both?
Clowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:39 PM   #3
SexPanda
Post Whore!

SexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfectionSexPanda is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to SexPanda Send a message via MSN to SexPanda
thats alot of shaft play man...
SexPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:52 PM   #4
sr20boostn20
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
sr20boostn20 is a glorious beacon of lightsr20boostn20 is a glorious beacon of lightsr20boostn20 is a glorious beacon of lightsr20boostn20 is a glorious beacon of lightsr20boostn20 is a glorious beacon of lightsr20boostn20 is a glorious beacon of lightsr20boostn20 is a glorious beacon of lightsr20boostn20 is a glorious beacon of lightsr20boostn20 is a glorious beacon of lightsr20boostn20 is a glorious beacon of lightsr20boostn20 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sr20boostn20
that turbo is shot,

if there really is 1 to 2 mm of shaft play it is defiantly done past the point of a rebuild probably.

shaft play should be in the .05 of a mm .
sr20boostn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:54 PM   #5
SoguRacing
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
SoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SoguRacing
turbo needs rebuild. though, check to see if the turbine has hit the inside of the outlet
Old 07-07-2008, 11:27 PM   #6
Psycho 240 Freak
Zilvia Member

Psycho 240 Freak is making his/her stupidity well-knownPsycho 240 Freak is making his/her stupidity well-knownPsycho 240 Freak is making his/her stupidity well-knownPsycho 240 Freak is making his/her stupidity well-knownPsycho 240 Freak is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowny View Post
is the shaft play side to side, front to back, or both?
It's side to side. I should've checked front to back to but didn't. I'll do that tomorrow.
Psycho 240 Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:20 AM   #7
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho 240 Freak View Post
It's side to side. I should've checked front to back to but didn't. I'll do that tomorrow.
Dont Bother Its toast, Rebuild it
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:34 AM   #8
jsasrsr
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
jsasrsr is a glorious beacon of lightjsasrsr is a glorious beacon of lightjsasrsr is a glorious beacon of lightjsasrsr is a glorious beacon of lightjsasrsr is a glorious beacon of lightjsasrsr is a glorious beacon of lightjsasrsr is a glorious beacon of lightjsasrsr is a glorious beacon of lightjsasrsr is a glorious beacon of lightjsasrsr is a glorious beacon of lightjsasrsr is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jsasrsr
trash it... you can try to send it to blaast and get it rebuilt, but holy crap 1 to 2mm, its probably finished with its useful life...
jsasrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:56 AM   #9
shmiddy
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
shmiddy is close to perfectionshmiddy is close to perfectionshmiddy is close to perfectionshmiddy is close to perfectionshmiddy is close to perfectionshmiddy is close to perfectionshmiddy is close to perfectionshmiddy is close to perfectionshmiddy is close to perfectionshmiddy is close to perfectionshmiddy is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
check for oil down the exhauhst pipe, also see if any of the fins are cracked.. my sr stck turbo was shitted and those were some signs that i saw
Old 07-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #10
Addicted2Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Addicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
This is like a 200 lb boulder falling on your arm and you look at your arm and see your bone sticking out and asking us if its broken.

Either way, just get it rebuilt.
Slap on a t25 if you need to get around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreansurfer View Post
zenki's are for poors and lames

with the exception of norm who is big ballin
FS:CUSCO,GREDDY,KA-Tparts
Addicted2Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote