Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
nightheron

Trader Rating: (0)
nightheron is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How will 215/60/15 tires work on S13 stock alloy wheels?

I was thinking of getting some 215/60/15 tires for my 1991 240SX on the stock alloy wheels. Has anyone used them? I was wondering how they work compared to the 205 width tires. Will the grip and handling be better or worse with 215's than using 205/60/15 tires? Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
nightheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightheron View Post
I was thinking of getting some 215/60/15 tires for my 1991 240SX on the stock alloy wheels. Has anyone used them? I was wondering how they work compared to the 205 width tires. Will the grip and handling be better or worse with 215's than using 205/60/15 tires? Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
I asked this on nico, there's a guy with them on his vert. He said they hardly cleared the stock springs, but are fine with narrower coilovers.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
215/60/15's fit fine. I ran them in the past. You won't notice any real difference in handling though, other than the fact that your 215's are new and your 205's are old as hell that is.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
PeaceOnesxWai
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (34)
PeaceOnesxWai is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
^Im pretty sure hes gonna throw on used tires since hes asking this question
PeaceOnesxWai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
nightheron

No, I'm getting new ones, they make both sizes, I've always gotten 205's in the past and was wondering if the 215's in the 60 height would be better or worse in regards to handling and grip and rubbing too.
Thanks
Old 08-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
racepar1
Post Whore!

racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Quote:
No, I'm getting new ones, they make both sizes, I've always gotten 205's in the past and was wondering if the 215's in the 60 height would be better or worse in regards to handling and grip and rubbing too.
Thanks
You're talking about 10mm of additional tire width. You're not going to notice much of a difference either way...
Old 08-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
195's went on the stock steelies and 205's were on the SE's. Personally I wouldn't go above 205, even the 195's have a balloon looking appearance.

I'm pretty sure the SE wheel width is 6.5" which equates to about 165mm. So as you can see, even a 195 series tire is 30mm (over an inch) larger than the wheel width.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
http://zilvia.net/f/chat/166563-maxi...nt-thread.html

There you are, jack.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
nightheron

Well, I went ahead and bought the 215/60/15 Falken ZE-912 tires. I chose poorly. The tires are not that hot, but the biggest problem is that they are too big in diameter. Great if I lived on a dirt road. My car is stock and it just doesn't have enough power to spin those big wheels. The car is just too sluggish now. I've contacted "Discount Tires" and luckily they will take them back. I am returning them and getting some All Season Yokohama Avid 205/60/15 tires like the car was designed for. I have to pay for shipping and have them put on and all that, but in the long run it will be worth it. Lesson Learned. My previous tires were the 205/55/15 Yokohama S Drive tires, the closest I could find in a performance tire without spending $200 or more. With the smaller diameter the performance and acceleration was better at low speeds than the 60 height tires but top end and gas mileage suffered. They are like driving in a lower gear and are easier for the stock motor to spin. Like in race cars, lower powered cars have tiny wheels and tires and higher powered cars have large wheels and tires. I've had 240's for a while and the selection of tires has dwindled. I guess that in the future, I'll have to break down and get some 16 or 17 inch wheels and lower profile tires and have a better selection. To me the later stock alloy wheels look great and are easy to replace when you bend one but you can't have everything.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
racepar1
Post Whore!

WOW, you suck at tires. I can't believe that you're returning your tires because in your opinion you chose poorly. Be a man and live with your decision...

Also, the STOCK tire size is 195/60/15, your 215/60/15's are ONLY .18" taller than stock. That is too small to create any noticeable difference. You are making a far bigger deal out of this than is necessary...
Old 08-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #11
nightheron

The Falken ZE-912 15's that I got are almost an inch taller and don't have much grip either. The tread is pretty narrow too, just the sidewalls are wide. I made the mistake of not checking out the specs for particular tires before the purchase. I'd rather lose a little money and have tires that are better and the right size. I've had 240's for a while and can notice the difference. In the owner's manual it says either 195 or 205 tire size. If I bought a pair of shoes that didn't fit right I'd return those too. For people's general info tires that are smaller diameter do give better low end performance, if that's what you want.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #12
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
WOW, you suck at tires. I can't believe that you're returning your tires because in your opinion you chose poorly. Be a man and live with your decision...

Also, the STOCK tire size is 195/60/15, your 215/60/15's are ONLY .18" taller than stock. That is too small to create any noticeable difference. You are making a far bigger deal out of this than is necessary...
stock is 195 OR 205, it lists both.

But, he's getting the SAME freaken sidewall as the ones he's sending back....

It will be exactly the same, except with less traction.

I must say, I just went from 185/65 (came on the car) to 205/60. Looks lots better, might be a tiny bit rougher even with less pressure, but it seems to get considerably worse highway mileage, probably as a combined result of the smaller diameter and especially, the wider contact patch.

I didn't notice any change in effective power. Going 70 you may use more energy, but not so much more that the car's acceleration is noticeably impacted.

Anyway, yeah, that's pretty tool-ish, the narrower tires will feel exactly the same but with slightly less grip. The tread IS wider, the sidewall just is too. A tire's like a balloon, you can only have so much shape, and they've determined that it will work better at that size to have that much sidewall bulge.

(edit) yeah, I can see why you would go from 205/55 to 215/60, but I can't fathom why you'd go from 205/55 to 205/60, which is what you've done. I wanted either 215/60s or 205/55's, except I couldn't get them without spending an arm and a leg. You have just returned your upgrade, in exchange for a downgrade, that will still feel like the part of the upgrade you didn't like. And all so you can do a one-wheel burnout with your little engine.

Last edited by mechanicalmoron; 08-30-2013 at 03:14 PM..
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #13
QuickSpoolSR
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
QuickSpoolSR will become famous soon enoughQuickSpoolSR will become famous soon enoughQuickSpoolSR will become famous soon enoughQuickSpoolSR will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
your returning 215's because they grip too much and don't spin with your stock motor on stock wheels... lol is this really forum worthy talk here bro
Old 08-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
The Falken ZE-912 15's that I got are almost an inch taller and don't have much grip either. The tread is pretty narrow too, just the sidewalls are wide. I made the mistake of not checking out the specs for particular tires before the purchase. I'd rather lose a little money and have tires that are better and the right size. I've had 240's for a while and can notice the difference. In the owner's manual it says either 195 or 205 tire size. If I bought a pair of shoes that didn't fit right I'd return those too. For people's general info tires that are smaller diameter do give better low end performance, if that's what you want.
I wouldn't buy the fucking shoes if they didn't fit right...

Returning something that you have already used because YOU made a bad decision on the purchase is fucking childish. Adults live with the consequences of their actions.

You are noticing a difference in performance and overall heighth because your old tires were NOT the stock size. They were smaller in diameter. If you want the same look and performance why don't you buy the same tires??? Those S-drives are 100000000x better than either set of tires you're talking about. Your 205/60/15's are going to feel EXACTLY the same as your 215/60/15's. You are a moron, sorry the truth hurts sometimes...
Old 08-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #15
nightheron

As far as living with bad decisions, I've chosen poorly with women in the past and they were a lot harder and more expensive to return. Just a little more general information for you all.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #16
PeaceOnesxWai
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (34)
PeaceOnesxWai is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Quote:
My car is stock and it just doesn't have enough power to spin those big wheels.
OP is a moron..
notices performance difference because hes running a shitty single cam..
cant do 1st gear donuts b/c tires are too sticky
PeaceOnesxWai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #17
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOnesxWai View Post
OP is a moron..
notices performance difference because hes running a shitty single cam..
cant do 1st gear donuts b/c tires are too sticky
I can spin my 225/50/16 s-drives with my "shitty" stock singlecam. I should return them, they're not grippy enough...