Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:46 AM   #1
calebbo
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
calebbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
HELP Stance GR+ Pro Coilover

Hey guys

I have a 91 240SX Hatch with Stance GR+ Pro coil overs
17x9.75 +25 XXR 527's
Z32 Brakes
Rebuilt KA

I'm having issues with the coil overs. I had the coil overs for a little under 2 years. Stance set the pre-load to 0 and mailed them to me. I used a tape measure and ensured that the front two coil over springs were identical in height. I did the same for the rear. Next I maxed out the dampening to 16 clicks then backed off 8 clicks. So I should be at "0" setting right in the middle of the two extremes. When driving I feel like the car bounces a bit too much. Do I need to increase the dampening or decrease it?

What setting do you guys use for those who have Stance coil overs?
Old 05-11-2017, 08:02 AM   #2
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Play with dampening. See what you like.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:04 AM   #3
calebbo
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
Play with dampening. See what you like.
I'm asking if it bounces too much I should make it stiffer by increasing the dampening right?
Old 05-11-2017, 08:44 AM   #4
A DOG 406
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
A DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really niceA DOG 406 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebbo View Post
I'm asking if it bounces too much I should make it stiffer by increasing the dampening right?
Not always the case. Sometimes it's better to soften them so they soak up bumps easier with less rebound. Go a few clicks in both ways and see how different it feels.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:55 AM   #5
calebbo
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by A DOG 406 View Post
Not always the case. Sometimes it's better to soften them so they soak up bumps easier with less rebound. Go a few clicks in both ways and see how different it feels.
I appreciate it, I will try 2 clicks back front and rear (6 clicks from full soft).
Old 05-11-2017, 08:55 AM   #6
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Try full soft. Adjust up from there.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:40 PM   #7
djdryon
Leaky Injector

djdryon has a spectacular aura aboutdjdryon has a spectacular aura aboutdjdryon has a spectacular aura aboutdjdryon has a spectacular aura aboutdjdryon has a spectacular aura aboutdjdryon has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via ICQ to djdryon Send a message via AIM to djdryon Send a message via MSN to djdryon Send a message via Yahoo to djdryon
You want a softer compression and a firmer rebound. That will let the suspension absorb the bumps, then quickly reset to absorb the next one.

Don't use a firm compression on the road. I had a slammed Accord with stiff Eibach springs back in high school, and sometimes I'd pogo-stick down the highway if the road was too worn out by the metal joint strips... not fun

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2017, 12:56 PM   #8
calebbo
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdryon View Post
You want a softer compression and a firmer rebound. That will let the suspension absorb the bumps, then quickly reset to absorb the next one.

Don't use a firm compression on the road. I had a slammed Accord with stiff Eibach springs back in high school, and sometimes I'd pogo-stick down the highway if the road was too worn out by the metal joint strips... not fun

I can only adjust rebound on my coil overs. So I need to increase or decrease it?
Old 05-11-2017, 01:03 PM   #9
calebbo
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
Try full soft. Adjust up from there.
I am currently at 6 out of 16 clicks from full soft. I will go full soft if I don't like 6/16 clicks.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:11 PM   #10
djdryon
Leaky Injector

djdryon has a spectacular aura aboutdjdryon has a spectacular aura aboutdjdryon has a spectacular aura aboutdjdryon has a spectacular aura aboutdjdryon has a spectacular aura aboutdjdryon has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via ICQ to djdryon Send a message via AIM to djdryon Send a message via MSN to djdryon Send a message via Yahoo to djdryon
If your spring compression rate is bouncy, you can soften the amount of bounce by softening the rebound. You'll still feel like you're driving a pogo stick sometimes, but at least it'll be one bounce instead of 3 or 4... make sure you have some strong suspension parts, cause if it's too stiff, you might bend or break something.

The roads here in Seattle are too bad to go stiff. I tore the strut tower off my Accord after 2 1/2 years of the low life and 4 wheel drifting, so now I stick with dual-rate springs, like Tein S-Tech.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:57 PM   #11
calebbo
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdryon View Post
If your spring compression rate is bouncy, you can soften the amount of bounce by softening the rebound. You'll still feel like you're driving a pogo stick sometimes, but at least it'll be one bounce instead of 3 or 4... make sure you have some strong suspension parts, cause if it's too stiff, you might bend or break something.

The roads here in Seattle are too bad to go stiff. I tore the strut tower off my Accord after 2 1/2 years of the low life and 4 wheel drifting, so now I stick with dual-rate springs, like Tein S-Tech.

I have stance coils
ISR front tension rods
ISR rear traction rods
ISR rear toe rods
ISR rear upper camber/control arms
Old 06-05-2017, 01:13 AM   #12
calebbo
Leaky Injector

Update:

Stance did not set the pre-load on the coil overs. Steven at Stance told me their tech did set the pre-load but called me later and said they did not actually do it. He said it was a miscommunication on their end. I ended up setting the preload by hand tightening the drivers side by hand (front and rear coil over) until the locking collar stopped.Then, I tightened using coil over spanner wrenches one full turn.

I measured the lenth of the spring and matched the drivers side coil overs.

I set the dampening to full counter clockwise, true zero, -6 clicks from "zero - dead center"

She rides amazing now. She feels a little bit stiffer than lowering springs so it's great for daily driving. I also raised her up a bit. From the top of the tire to the fender lip it's two of my fingers vertically.