Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 01:17 AM   #1
choleaoum
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
choleaoum is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
New clutch already worn out? Safe to just reuse pressure plate and flywheel?

I bought a brand new ACT 6 puck clutch from FRSport and it's already hitting the metal sleeves on the clutch disc! I didn't do any clutch kicks and put barely any miles on it. And yes, I'm a great driver and babied the car.

I saw on eBay they were selling just the disc for 160$~, would I be able to reuse the pressure plate considering the flywheel & pressure plate are practically brand new? There are very very minor hot spots, but I'll have it resurfaced and ask the machinest.

Before I hear it,
I KNOW it saves time to buy a new clutch setup, but I can't dish out an another additional 400$+ for a clutch. I'm thousands in the hole and I can barely drive the car. There are other priorities at the moment, in a perfect world I would just buy a new clutch kit. It also only took me 2 hours to pull my engine out.

Additional notes: The clutch grabs very hard, and doesn't slip at all. The learning curve was very rough, but that's what I expect from a 6 puck sprung. I wouldn't have known the clutch was hitting the metal sleeves on the disc until I pulled the motor out to respray the engine bay.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2016, 01:37 AM   #2
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
Before you go buying a new clutch, have you absolutely determined it is defective? If it is in fact 109% defective, why don't you warranty it.

Did you have a 'professional' install it? I know at least through most programs they require a proof of professional install and alignment.
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

Old 05-26-2016, 04:34 AM   #3
Bnr32gtr
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Bnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enoughBnr32gtr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Sounds like u might not have any/ enough clutch petal free play. If u have no free play just at idling/driving car clutch is riding whole time, will burn up disk in no time. I see it all them time when guys do 5 speed swaps and take all the slop out of the linkage
Old 05-26-2016, 07:49 AM   #4
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
My money is on improper install
Old 05-26-2016, 08:03 AM   #5
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I have seen several trucks where driver holds foot on/over the clutch wear it out in less than 2k miles...
Old 05-26-2016, 08:20 AM   #6
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Anyone else ever notice that the more you spend on one of those traditional type single disc clutch,

the less material you seem to get?

If torque is < 300~ I would just use a full face disc, like stock
Old 05-26-2016, 11:12 AM   #7
choleaoum
Zilvia Addict

It was a proper install, I've installed a hundred of clutches. There's freeplay in my clutch pedal. The clutch is out of warranty, I bought it years ago and the car just sat. It never smelled like clutch either.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:18 AM   #8
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by choleaoum View Post
And yes, I'm a great driver and babied the car.

It also only took me 2 hours to pull my engine out.

Dang between you being an expert driver and a master mechanic I woulda figured you either knew how to fix it or made enough money to buy a new clutch.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:20 AM   #9
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco345 View Post
Dang between you being an expert driver and a master mechanic I woulda figured you either knew how to fix it or made enough money to buy a new clutch.

Fucking. Done.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:31 AM   #10
JM216S14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
JM216S14 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

This the clutch?
Old 05-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #11
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Old 05-26-2016, 02:30 PM   #12
2.5T_/<ouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
What symptoms were you having that lead you to inspect/pull the clutch?
Old 05-26-2016, 03:52 PM   #13
cotbu
Post Whore!

cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
The friction material fused to the flywheel and probably the pressure plate.
The problem here is you should have felt this the first time you put it in gear after hiatus. The disc job is to grab the pp and flywheel, id say it did that job too well.

I mean look at all the rust it was inevitable, whine and cry to frsport and they might send you a new one even though the fault is not theirs.

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
Old 05-29-2016, 12:01 PM   #14
choleaoum
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
I wasn't aware that asking for second opinions somehow invalidates everything and became a heinous crime. Weird how that works. Despite your illiteracy (I'm sorry if your dyslexic), you must have missed the part where my priorities are elsewhere such as purchasing a home and investing. Unless you just completely lack critical thinking.

Regardless, I spoke with ACT directly on the phone and said it should be alright to just buy a new clutch disc since my pressure plate wasn't warped and the hot spots were very minor. He states that the 6 puck clutch wears down very quickly and it should not be meant for daily driving.

As far as symptoms, there were no symptoms. I'm repainting my engine bay and I figured I would take a look.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:22 PM   #15
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Still shouldn't wear down that fast. You should be able to get at least 15,000 miles out of it

Did you install the friction disk backwards?
Old 05-29-2016, 08:04 PM   #16
choleaoum
Zilvia Addict

Unlikely considering there's a sticker that indicates the direction lol. That's what I'm assuming but he said with excessive stop and go driving will cause wear because the clutch is so stiff. It's totally fine though, I'm going to put the pressure plate on a lathe and use a dial indicator to see if it's warped. If it's all good, I'll just buy another friction disc. If worse comes to worse, I will just have to buy a whole new clutch or put the project on hold. The minute I keep buying more things for the car it becomes and endless spending spree.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:37 AM   #17
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
Quote:
Unlikely considering there's a sticker that indicates the direction lol. That's what I'm assuming but he said with excessive stop and go driving will cause wear because the clutch is so stiff. It's totally fine though, I'm going to put the pressure plate on a lathe and use a dial indicator to see if it's warped. If it's all good, I'll just buy another friction disc. If worse comes to worse, I will just have to buy a whole new clutch or put the project on hold. The minute I keep buying more things for the car it becomes and endless spending spree.

Just whatever you do, make sure you get a disc and plate that's rated for your setup.
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

Old 05-30-2016, 11:28 PM   #18
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I wasn't aware that asking for second opinions somehow invalidates everything and became a heinous crime. Weird how that works. Despite your illiteracy (I'm sorry if your dyslexic), you must have missed the part where my priorities are elsewhere such as purchasing a home and investing. Unless you just completely lack critical thinking.

Regardless, I spoke with ACT directly on the phone and said it should be alright to just buy a new clutch disc since my pressure plate wasn't warped and the hot spots were very minor. He states that the 6 puck clutch wears down very quickly and it should not be meant for daily driving.

As far as symptoms, there were no symptoms. I'm repainting my engine bay and I figured I would take a look.
You might lack critical thinking, because if you had any common sense you woudn't have believed ACT when they told you its normal for a clutch to wear out so fast. I have 15k on my 6 puck with a handfull of events, street drifting and stop and go traffic. My car makes around 300 hp/tq and its an ebay clutch. EBAY.

And before you come back and say "oh the car had a few thousand miles on it, that's what I meant by barely any miles", you said you babied the car. No one babies their 1990s nissan shitbox for thousands of miles, and if you did a stock clutch woulda done you fine for tens of thousands of miles. Provide some useful details next time like mileage, pictures, and power numbers instead of pointless ones like how you're a great driver and you pulled the motor in two hours. Speaking of pointless details, since you like to brag about your mechanical skills, driving ability, grammatical correctness and financial life, I own a house; you're more than welcome to bring your car by and I'll help you figure out your problem.

Lastly, so I don't get an infraction for not offering a solution; you can throw another disc at it, but unless the disc was the problem in the first place you'll just burn through that in another (I assume) 500 miles. I suggest actually finding what's wrong with the car before throw more money at ACT. Whether it be install error, driver error, a faulty part or something else. If you leave everything the same you'll get the same result. Post some pictures and numbers so we have something to work with.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:09 AM   #19
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Did you pack the recess in the TOB sleeve with molybdenum sulfide grease as per FSM spec? Did you also apply said grease to the face of the TOB? and Input shaft?
Old 05-31-2016, 10:34 AM   #20
2.5T_/<ouki
Zilvia FREAK!

2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice2.5T_/<ouki is just really nice
Quote:
And before you come back and say "oh the car had a few thousand miles on it, that's what I meant by barely any miles", you said you babied the car. No one babies their 1990s nissan shitbox for thousands of miles
I baby my "shitbox". Just because it's an old car and fu*kbois don't take care of it doesn't mean everyone is that way. I like driving a clean babied ride.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:44 AM   #21
AquaX
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
AquaX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Paco needs to stfu lol what a loser. To the OP, are you sure no one else drove your car or "borrowed" it? I'm betting someone that doesn't know how to drive took it for a joyride.

Also +1 for babying your ride, especially considering how rare and desirable the 240sx has become. After all its not a Hyundai
Old 05-31-2016, 10:54 AM   #22
JM216S14
Zilvia Junkie

JM216S14 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It was a proper install, I've installed a hundred of clutches. There's freeplay in my clutch pedal. The clutch is out of warranty, I bought it years ago and the car just sat. It never smelled like clutch either.
If it was installed properly and you know exactly what you are doing then why are you even posting?
Old 05-31-2016, 12:11 PM   #23
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

I prefer automatic transmission for this reason: no clutch to change every 10-50k.

Oh also, its faster
Old 05-31-2016, 12:49 PM   #24
2.5T_/<ouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
I prefer automatic transmission for this reason: no clutch to change every 10-50k.

Oh also, its faster
I like being in control of my car.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:49 PM   #25
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:

Oh also, its faster
This guy's onto something

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.5T_/<ouki View Post
I baby my "shitbox". Just because it's an old car and fu*kbois don't take care of it doesn't mean everyone is that way. I like driving a clean babied ride.
I didn't say people don't take care of their car. My car looks and drives like a "clean babied ride" and I don't baby it, fuckboi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaX View Post
Paco needs to stfu lol what a loser. To the OP, are you sure no one else drove your car or "borrowed" it? I'm betting someone that doesn't know how to drive took it for a joyride.

Also +1 for babying your ride, especially considering how rare and desirable the 240sx has become. After all its not a Hyundai
You need to go back to high school stfulolroflloser. If someone drove OP's car without him knowing he has bigger problems.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:07 PM   #26
2.5T_/<ouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
I didn't say people don't take care of their car. My car looks and drives like a "clean babied ride" and I don't baby it, fuckboi.
Ok cutie . Hope your day gets better.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:13 PM   #27
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Quote:
I like being in control of my car.
They have a computer that we use to dial/control exactly when I want the trans to shift, and how hard I want it to shift based on TPS position and engine vacuum. It does this with consistency that cannot be matched by a manual transmission. It also has a clutch which simulates the 1:1 connection between engine and input shaft, exactly like a manual trasmission, so you cannot even tell the difference at the wheel speed (eliminates converter slippage) and yes some can do this under WOT with Nitrous/Boost.

Anyone that posts what you just posted "blah blah blah control" has never been in a vehicle with a fully built automatic behind a twin turbo V8 engine.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:16 PM   #28
2.5T_/<ouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
They have a computer that we use to dial/control exactly when I want the trans to shift, and how hard I want it to shift based on TPS position and engine vacuum. It does this with consistency that cannot be matched by a manual transmission. It also has a clutch which simulates the 1:1 connection between engine and input shaft, exactly like a manual trasmission, so you cannot even tell the difference at the wheel speed (eliminates converter slippage) and yes some can do this under WOT with Nitrous/Boost.

Anyone that posts what you just posted "blah blah blah control" has never been in a vehicle with a fully built automatic behind a twin turbo V8 engine.
Sounds pretty fun, but again, I like being in control, meaning pressing the clutch and shifting. I guess I've never been behing a twin turbo V8 engine lol. Hope your day gets better also.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:22 PM   #29
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Quote:
I like being in control, meaning pressing the clutch and shifting.
If I have a button in front of me, and everytime I press it, you get a shock. Is that not control? I dont need a clutch to push or shifter to move- that just wastes time. And If I set my button to auto press itself- isnt that also a form of control?

I think you need to re-define your version of what is a "control system".
Old 05-31-2016, 02:35 PM   #30
2.5T_/<ouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
If I have a button in front of me, and everytime I press it, you get a shock. Is that not control? I dont need a clutch to push or shifter to move- that just wastes time. And If I set my button to auto press itself- isnt that also a form of control?

I think you need to re-define your version of what is a "control system".
I never said what a "control system is", which would more than likely be the ECU if we are talking vehicles. Not everybody is about "going fast", but nonetheless, your ride sounds awesome. Don't get all bent out of shape. Have a good day.
Closed Thread