Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:18 PM   #1
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Front end problem, clunk, snap, pop. Name that part?

I have a front end issue,

Every bump I hit on the front left makes a clunk/pop. When I turn it clunk/snap/crack/pops also. Feels like am arm. Like a sway bar or something.

Heres a big clue:
When I brake and turn to the left slightly, the entire wheel feels like it is folding over and the car skids with very little brake effort. I've felt bad Tension rods before and this isn't it. It doesn't clack when you press the brake, there is no braking slop or movement when braking straight.

Name that part pls

Stuff I changed alrdy just this month:
Strut mounts
struts (AGX new)
control arm bushings ES
sway bay / end links SIKKY
ball joints MOOG
Tension rods OEM
stock height, stock springs (it isnt the spring)
stock brakes too

If I can fix this, I can finally align the car, put tires on it, brakes, and get on with my life. sheesh!
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2018, 11:19 PM   #2
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I have the exact same problem. Will be following this thread
nisileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:10 AM   #3
flartius
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
flartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud offlartius has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Checked your wheel bearings? The best advice I can give would be to jack up the car do a visual inspection and try to find anything loose.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:35 AM   #4
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
So, I have been under this car, on a lift, and on jack stands, three or four times. Prying and pulling, hanging on parts. Nothing feels like is loose. I probably overtightened every bolt under the car looking for a loose bolt. Its to the point where I am thinking an arm or bushing of the rack, engine cradle, steering shaft itself, is loose and I am just not prying in the right spot. So I need kind of a guide, or other ideas to check, or change, I am not sure really.

My next is to literally zip tie a camera in there and drive it. Cause its a LOUD *BANG!* *POP* CRUNCH* , like, I should see this thing move easily.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:14 AM   #5
OnTheChip
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
OnTheChip is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Broken/missing brake caliper bolt?
OnTheChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:24 PM   #6
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
re-read nevermind
Old 04-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #7
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
It’s interesting that your car does this with a pretty much OEM strut/spring. When I first got my coilovers, I lowered them to the floor and the spring was just sitting loosely in between the collars, and it helped the problem a lot when I tightened the collars to a position where the spring couldn’t move.

But my car still makes the noise. I think it has something to do as well with my steering rack.
nisileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:53 PM   #8
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Today I put it on the lift for a third time and REALLY pulled the wheel around. It looks like the tension rods ARE a bit shot after all, those being the 'new' ones I installed to test this issue. So I will order an actual brand new set of TC rods (right this second) and update thread when they are in.

The whole wheel folding in this is kind of a clue. I think the TC rod holds the wheel from doing that. Not sure but its worth a shot.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:47 PM   #9
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

New tension rods, didn't change anything.

So thats:

Stuff I changed alrdy just this month:
Strut mounts NEW
struts (AGX new)
control arm bushings NEW ES
sway bay / end links NEW sikky
ball joints NEW moog
Tension rods good OEM and New pillowball tried both
stock height, stock springs (it isnt the spring)
stock brakes too

Whats left? Seam welds. How do I access seam welds? The engine bay showing me glues, is it under the wheel well or under the fender? NEver messed with them but I guess that sall thats left
Old 04-24-2018, 09:06 PM   #10
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Loose crossmember nuts?
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:24 PM   #11
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

I checked every bolt I could see. Probably overtightened all of them checking.

Its got to be the car where it connects to the strut. the welds I guess, are broken, I've heard of it happening. Just no idea where it happens, what it looks like, how to fix it.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:09 AM   #12
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

So today I said enough is enough.

I jacked up the front, took the tire off, took the strut out, removed the tension rod, and pulled on the control.

Its the sway bar link. Easy fix, I loose it and held up the control arm with my knee to get the stud nice and straight, and re-tighten it. and its good now, the front is silent like it should be.

Sikky sent me a new end link for the other side that looks bigger than the one that was making noise. So I think they revised it at some point. i am going to ask them send me another newer updated larger thicker size end link to put it that matches the other one.

Also as an aside,
the tire kind of folding over was apparently me not knowing how to adjust a tension rod properly, and the OEM bushings on the non-adjusting rod were just weak and 20 years old.
The easy to lock up brakes was just the tire. The front left tire was 10 years old. It just wouldn't wear out so I kept it from car to car, but I finally put both new fronts on the car and it stops much better that than terrible tire had me thinking it was.

Last edited by Kingtal0n; 05-05-2018 at 10:07 AM..