Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:22 PM   #1
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
s13 The "I'm 18 and make grown up financial mistakes" s13 build

So I'll give you all a brief "hello and intro" to my car and I,

My name is Hanz, and I'm from the wonderful state of Florida where drugs are smuggled and old people come to die, always seemed to be a weird combo to me, anyways! I got my s13 after a 2 year journey in 2014 and since then have personally gone through 2 SR's and plenty of other costly experiences, however, I wouldn't have it any other way, I love my car and it hates me<3

on to the cool stuff! This is my 240sx. It's an 89 SOHC car that I purchased from my neighbor with a blown up SR in the hatch

Day I got it,
[IMG][/IMG]

When it was running last,
[IMG][/IMG]

And what it looks like today, (quite sad)
[IMG][/IMG]

So to make some very long sad stories short, I rebuilt the SR the first time around and it lasted all of 30 minutes and had a tasty rod knock. I didnt double check my machine work and it was a hard lesson learned, then I rebuilt the motor the second time around and went all out, I used ACL race bearings, hot tanked everything, and spent too much money at a machine shop and the result was a healthy SR that i thrashed daily and lasted almost a year until I was racing a new SS camaro on my way home the mall. We took off from a traffic light and I was about 2 cars out in the top of 4th gear, then BANG, and then that instant oh shit moment, followed by .

This was the sad result, after waiting 2 hours in the middle of the road in the Florida heat,
[IMG][/IMG]

But the tow truck driver actually ended up knowing all about 240's and even had plenty of his own trauma stories about his own, so that was a plus!

Anyways the car sat in my driveway for a month or two, then in my back yard for a few days, and then I finally grew a pair and decided to fix my baby. I pulled it in front of my shop and started stripping it down to pull the motor, my friend Tucker stopped by to help speed the process along and provide some helpful hands ( most of my friends are pretty usless car-wise, however, Tucker owns 2 S13's one LS1 sil80, and a rad SR hatch) anyways here's the few pics I snapped along the way,
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

And now the sad ones haha,
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Well I had known that I had a rod go through my block, but I didn't know why, I knew I was making mid 300's so a snapped rod wasn't too crazy of an idea, but I also had a theory that it simply oil starved, sadly the latter was indeed the issue. I was stupidly running a stock pan and pick up on a lowered car and payed the price for it. After tearing down the block I found that my pick up hadn't broken off, but it definitely had kissed the pan a few times leaving some marks. This plus the heavy acceleration from racing the camaro was a ticking time bomb literally haha.

I don't have any tear down pictures, but the motor was filled with bearing and rod, I have already purchased a new block, trans, starter (mine had a rod in it), lightweight flywheel (ACT I believe), new bearings (rods & mains), crank, and some power steering pieces, all for $100! My neighbor who sold me my car is pretty desperate to get rid of his SR parts to fund his WRX haha.

So as the car sits now, is motorless, waiting on the machine shop to call and ask me to bring my piggy bank, and I've been doing some various odds and ends that I should've done the first few builds.

Pictures of this weeks work,

I made a floor to cover my old spare well so it looked more "finished". Still needs carpet and a newer smaller sub box, and yes I have the side covers and they do cover the edges of the wood.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Today I had the urge to actually attempt to properly tuck my harness and re wrap my harness as well.

Stripping the harness
[IMG][/IMG]

New fusebox locations
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The wires I removed, basically anything I've never plugged in or seen a use for
[IMG][/IMG]

Where the fusebox wires "tuck" at, they will be wrapped and waterproofed of course, and yes in this location the fender still bolts on no problem. I'm also going to trace "useless" wires back to their source and depin them.
[IMG][/IMG]

And finally the finished mess of 25 year old tape and plastic
[IMG][/IMG]

And how she sat at the end of the night

That's all for this long and first post! I hope you guys enjoyed a peek into my story and if you have any questions please ask! I do have all the old pictures of when I first got the car and some of the "major" mods.
hanzbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2015, 09:58 PM   #2
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
So small update but I had some time to work on the car and decided to start shaving the bay to prepare it for paint!

Used my trusty Snap-On 140 amp MIG, and tried to weld the shittiest metal in the world (blew through almost every weld)
[IMG][/IMG]

Prepped all the holes with a grinder
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

example of holes that blew straight through
[IMG][/IMG]

Example of holes that actually turned out nicely
[IMG][/IMG]

Then I started grinding and very quickly decided to stop because my electric grinder wouldn't let go of a cutting disc to change it to a grinding disc, so long story short the few I did grind where done with very loud small air grinder and my ears are still ringing
[IMG][/IMG]

Once I couldn't hear anymore I decided I should go to Orileys and spend more money I dont have and picked up some wiring goodies, some winkle paint for my intercooloer set up (pictures coming soon), and a piece I've always wanted, a battery interrupter switch. I needed to modify my battery cable anyways with the new tuck and I've always loved the anti-theft and ease of working benefits that come with these. (Also feeds my inner ricer)
[IMG][/IMG]

Anyways that's all for today! Thanks for reading guys!
Old 05-06-2015, 11:22 PM   #3
homegrowngarage
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
homegrowngarage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You've got an interesting story behind your car, and that's awesome! Keep up the good work.

My brother and I are both 19 and we are building out s13 from the ground up, and struggling with the finances for it as well haha, so we've got a good idea what its like. Check out our build thread sometime.

- Jordan
homegrowngarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:19 AM   #4
EveryQuarterMile
Leaky Injector

EveryQuarterMile is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, you've learned the important lesson of doing it right the first time! Good luck with your build!
Old 05-07-2015, 06:18 AM   #5
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrowngarage View Post
You've got an interesting story behind your car, and that's awesome! Keep up the good work.

My brother and I are both 19 and we are building out s13 from the ground up, and struggling with the finances for it as well haha, so we've got a good idea what its like. Check out our build thread sometime.

- Jordan
Thanks! And I checked out your build, it's awesome that you and your brother are building a car together! I always wanted one haha
Old 05-07-2015, 06:19 AM   #6
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryQuarterMile View Post
Well, you've learned the important lesson of doing it right the first time! Good luck with your build!
Yeah, it's an important one to learn, and thanks!
Old 05-07-2015, 08:41 PM   #7
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Not much of an update, I didn't get to work on the car today. I've been super busy with graduation, but I did get to finish my new intercooler piping! I hated how shitty the old polished aluminium looked so I went with a wrinkle black to cover most of the imperfections.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

All I did to prep them was a quick sand down with some 320-grit and then cleaned them off, gives a nice classy oem+ look!
Old 05-09-2015, 06:30 PM   #8
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

So another small update since I haven't been doing much on the car, I've got a pretty solid idea of an engine bay color scheme after I was putting my intercooler piping back together and saw how bad ass anodized purple looks with wrinkle black,

[IMG][/IMG]

So what I have in mind is winkle black on things like the rocker cover and piping and other small accessories, then with touches of silver and purple. I'd love some opinions on the engine bay color though! I had silver in mind but I'm not sure...

I'd also like to include a picture of a car I found on instagram that's influenced my tear down,

[IMG][/IMG]

I don't plan on running any crazy areo, mainly because I don't like putting my bumper back on every few days and I personally think a nicley done bash bar with stock areo on some dishy wheels looks amazingly simple. I'm also taking opinions on the exterior color of the car!!! I have a full paint shop so any color is possible for me!

Anyways that's all for now!
Old 05-11-2015, 10:49 AM   #9
EveryQuarterMile
Leaky Injector

Good updates, small or not! I debated the exterior color for awhile on mine, but I think I'm I'm going to go with bright blue on my S13, but it really depends on your goal. Do you want it to be flashy or conservative?
Old 05-11-2015, 02:53 PM   #10
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryQuarterMile View Post
Good updates, small or not! I debated the exterior color for awhile on mine, but I think I'm I'm going to go with bright blue on my S13, but it really depends on your goal. Do you want it to be flashy or conservative?
It changes day by day honestly, I'd love to stand out, but already get pulled over often now, but at this point if I'm gonna be different I might as well go all out
Old 05-11-2015, 03:03 PM   #11
95_S14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (108)
95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future95_S14 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 108 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzbrady View Post
It changes day by day honestly, I'd love to stand out, but already get pulled over often now, but at this point if I'm gonna be different I might as well go all out
because I'm sure you drive like a 18 year old asshole , keep that shit on a track
Old 05-11-2015, 04:06 PM   #12
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95_S14 View Post
because I'm sure you drive like a 18 year old asshole , keep that shit on a track
Actually I've never been ticketed, have a clean driving record, and even have a Florida "safe driver" license. When I get pulled over it's always been because my car's too loud, or it's been late at night for "suspicious activity". Then there was the one-off time that I got pulled over for not having a bumper cover, something that is perfectly legal in Florida's codes that I pointed out to the officer and he ended up telling me that it was his bad and to have a nice day. I have a long history at race tracks, I grew up racing karts, my dad drags, and my mom even used to whip karts. I've road raced and dragged myself too, I actually haven't even gone to a drift event or drifted my car. So please before you go forum hopping making assumptions, ask.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:30 PM   #13
EveryQuarterMile
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Actually I've never been ticketed, have a clean driving record, and even have a Florida "safe driver" license. When I get pulled over it's always been because my car's too loud, or it's been late at night for "suspicious activity". Then there was the one-off time that I got pulled over for not having a bumper cover, something that is perfectly legal in Florida's codes that I pointed out to the officer and he ended up telling me that it was his bad and to have a nice day. I have a long history at race tracks, I grew up racing karts, my dad drags, and my mom even used to whip karts. I've road raced and dragged myself too, I actually haven't even gone to a drift event or drifted my car. So please before you go forum hopping making assumptions, ask.
I'm 18 as well, and I'm so glad you said this. I've never received a ticket and have never been in an accident of any sort. The only time I was pulled over was because the license plate light was burnt out, so it was a courtesy stop. Teenagers do not equate to bad drivers at all. In fact, it's those in their 30s and 40s who scare me the most on the road, but it could really be anyone.

As for the paint color, look up some pictures and decide what you like! Think of a color scheme, not just one color. 240s look great in nearly any color
Old 05-11-2015, 05:42 PM   #14
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Well, you DID say you were racing a SS camaro and your engine blew at the top of 4th gear..which is about 122mph assuming you were at redline with stock trans, final drive ratio and 195/60r15-ish tires LOL

Most of us are guilty of "spirited driving" from time to time - I know I am just be safe out there and keep it on the track
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:58 PM   #15
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
Well, you DID say you were racing a SS camaro and your engine blew at the top of 4th gear..which is about 122mph assuming you were at redline with stock trans, final drive ratio and 195/60r15-ish tires LOL

Most of us are guilty of "spirited driving" from time to time - I know I am just be safe out there and keep it on the track
Oh I definitely do agree with being guilty of the occasional spirited driving, I just didn't appreciate the harsh sterotype, that I try my best to stay away from as well as being the typical "240 kid". And I wouldn't say 120's I'd say it was closer to 90's working my way to the top haha. It was honestly even lower than that considering the engine failure that was rapidly occurring. But anyways, still not behavior that should be considered okay, I appreciate you for not just throwing a label on me entire being.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:36 PM   #16
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

So small update guys!

I've put off my engine build due to a financial status change for the better and will also be traveling to New Orleans for a job opportunity this summer, however I have been working here and there on small parts of the car just to pass time until I can work on the engine.

Anyways today, I decided to do what I thought would be an easy job, replacing rear break rotors! Well in theory it was a super easy job, but due to nobody giving a single fuck about this car for 20 odd years, the stock rotor had seized onto the hubs/studs, and needed a little "persuading". I tried a rubber mallet, then a bigger one, then a metal hammer, and then I got pissed off and got out a 15lb slide hammer and stopped giving a fuck.
[IMG][/IMG]

The rotors were super worn, grooved, rusted, etc. The passenger side was also warped.

Old v new
[IMG][/IMG]

Picture of the rotor wear on the warped one,
[IMG][/IMG]

And here's some pictures of what happens when you cheap out on break pads, these pads got used under 500 miles and were already extremely worn and coming apart, the car also never stopped that great.
[/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Anyways besides the rotors giving me trouble, I also found the dust boots for the caliper pistons had torn, so I'll be tracing down those and if you could give me a part # I'd greatly appreciate it!

Also since I never really included it, this is the color of the car currently, its a galaxy grey with red and green flake, a cool color, but not one I like, I only chose it because it roughly matched the jams and I was in a financial bind finishing the car the first time round and I had plenty of this left over from a customer job.
[IMG][/IMG]

Speaking of color, I've finally decided on a color scheme for the car, I've decided that in the engine bay I'm going to go for a silver color and the engine will have bits of wrinkle black and anodized purple, and as for the outside I was watching some Tuercked videos and specifically the ones featuring his "street" S13 and I've always loved the look of a clean black car with some dishy wheels so I'm leaning toward a nice gloss black with some kind of five spoke wheel with a deep dish. The car will also be getting some over fenders depending on the wheels I pick!

Thanks for reading guys!
Old 05-17-2015, 08:41 AM   #17
rellik27
Zilvia Member

rellik27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool build keep it up
rellik27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:33 AM   #18
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

So not much has happened with the car in a while due to me working and traveling, I do have a pretty solid build plan for the car at this point though including,

Built SR to handle 500+

.020 over bore
Wiseco Pistons (stock compression)
Eagle rods
Tomei HG
ISIS gasket kit
ISIS V2 oil pan (steel plate is stronger than V1)
ARP head studs
ACL bearings throughout
S14 oil pickup
Tomei 260 poncams
BC springs & retainers
DOC race top mount T3 mani (My ISIS top mount was garbage)
Tial MVS wastegate
Spec stage 3 clutch
750+cc injectors
Z32 MAF
And I'm currently trying to decide between full stand alone or a Enthalpy ECU (input on this is very welcomed)

That's the basic parts list as it stands right now, and the build should start in mid august. I've been talking with Sam at Enjuku and I've decided to source all my parts from them since they're my local shop and have always happily helped me from my own cars to customer cars and I would always recommend them.

Now on to some cool stuff! Currently I've been starting to do more work in my desired profession which is film, I'm intending on going to Full-Sail sometime in the winter and I've started building my portfolio, first project of many to come is this edit I made at a drag strip in Lakeland FL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWMQ_6hraoY

I hope that embedded properly haha, anyways it was a test n' tune night and the first volkswagen to lay down a 6 second 1/8th mile pass walked out with $100. MY dad has raced volkswagens his whole life and currently has a promod car sitting in our shop, recently we've been pit crewing for a friend of my dad's, Noel Latour who's recently put together a 5 second promod VW featured in the video above, anyways I'm not sure if you guys are into this sort of thing or want this in my build thread but I figure I should explain what I've been up to in absence of building my 240 and tell everyone a little about me and what I do, sorry for this being a kinda boring wordy post and thanks for reading, fun stuff coming in August!
Old 07-22-2015, 09:10 AM   #19
s13_chris93
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
s13_chris93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NICE. im outta florida too tryna get my sr up and running as well. nice build man
s13_chris93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:39 AM   #20
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13_chris93 View Post
NICE. im outta florida too tryna get my sr up and running as well. nice build man
Thanks! Where are you located??
Old 02-24-2016, 09:27 PM   #21
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

LAZARUS EFFECT ENGAGED!

So long time no see guys! To make a much too long story much shorter we'll make some bullet points,

-Moved to New Orleans left car in FL
-Moved back
-Bought another financial mistake
-Got a job that fueled my bad spending habits
-Got some race car shit done for once
-Possibly getting a better much more awesome job tomorrow??? 2/24/16
-And now, Progress!!!!

First of all, my new financial mistake,

It's a 2001 330ci that has all the leaks all the time! Also the turn signals just fall out and it had a bad date with a guard rail on a rainy night's drive home. Behind it you can see my old daily a Volkswagen, lots of good memories in that car and it's also being rebuilt atm.

Now, let me preface the next few images saying some things. I'm now 19, I pay for everything on my own working 40+ hours a week and I have no shop affiliations or sponsorships to help me. I have some good friends and supportive family.

now PICTURES!!!!

I went to a place,

I saw some cars

And finally, bought some parts! (not all pictured)

I basically went to Enjuku on one of my few days off because I got tired of looking at my bare block sitting in bedroom and decided that I'd finally do something about it. I got there and stated talking to Gregg who is a great down to earth guy who let me tour the shop and take plenty of pictures like the idiot I am. At the end of the day I left with all the parts I needed for my basic short block and some extras,

-Manley Rods
-Wiseco 86.50mm 9:1 pistons
-ACL Race bearings
-ARP Head Studs
-Tomei Head Gasket
-Z32 MAF
-Wiring Specialties Harness
-S14 Oil Pick Up
-Megan Racing Mounts
-And that's about it

So I went ahead and assembled the motor myself, and by assemble I mean painstakingly balance and blueprint my entire engine documenting as I went to leave no room for errors and surprises down the road.

SR porn incoming

So with the short block assembled I decided to think about my head, and thought why build a race block and not a race head? The result was a full port and polish along with boring out the combustion chambers. I have a set of BC springs and retainers and some Tomei 270's coming in the mail and will be doing a dual guide conversion with all new OEM guides.

Everyone loves good head right???

And well that's about all folks, I'll be updating a bit more frequently due to my new job and also because my build is in full swing at the moment. As soon as my head supplies come in the mail I'll be building the head and posting up some pictures of that!
Old 02-25-2016, 11:00 AM   #22
Tucker240

--Deleted--

Last edited by Tucker240; 03-17-2019 at 11:35 PM..
Old 02-25-2016, 11:05 AM   #23
Gingersmurf
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Gingersmurf is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker240 View Post
Why don't we just tub your bay like mine?

http://imgur.com/oeckjc5

EDIT: On second thought, it will probably never get finished if we did. I just like to stare at it for 2+ years lol
Purple with symmetrical gold heat reflective tape... awesome. pure awesome.
Gingersmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:14 AM   #24
Tucker240

--Deleted--

Last edited by Tucker240; 03-17-2019 at 11:36 PM..
Old 02-25-2016, 11:25 AM   #25
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker240 View Post
My ocd got carried away with the tape lol
Because everyone can be as cool as you tucker... But my bay is getting shaved and I'm going to do Kevlar on the firewall hahaha
Old 02-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #26
Tucker240

--Deleted--

Last edited by Tucker240; 03-17-2019 at 11:36 PM..
Old 02-25-2016, 12:01 PM   #27
Crazyced
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Crazyced is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
I have already purchased a new block, trans, starter (mine had a rod in it), lightweight flywheel (ACT I believe), new bearings (rods & mains), crank, and some power steering pieces, all for $100! My neighbor who sold me my car is pretty desperate to get rid of his SR parts to fund his WRX haha.
Jesus Christ. There's desperate and there's "these parts are hotter then a blood stained rape van" desperate.

Ridiculous deal if legit though. Keep on the good work.
Crazyced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:13 PM   #28
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyced View Post
Jesus Christ. There's desperate and there's "these parts are hotter then a blood stained rape van" desperate.

Ridiculous deal if legit though. Keep on the good work.
Haha, they're legit. He's been into S-chassis since he was about 17 and has a few SR's laying around and I go shopping at his house quite often. I'm looking into getting a Z32 tranny from him atm actually.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:19 PM   #29
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

BIG UPDATE

Well for me at least, but it does involve all S-chassis owners!

You may have seen that Mazworx was hiring if you follow them on Instagram, well I did at least. I saw their photo as I was pulling an all nighter from the shitty hours I got at my previous job (Ruths Chris) and immediately typed up a new resume at 5am and sent it to Mark as fast as I could, and a few days later I got called in for an interview I never thought I'd get and as of today I'm a Mazworx employee and it's surreal saying that. I can't thank Mark or Manuel enough for this opportunity.

Anyways if you guys need anything I'll be working sales with Manuel starting tomrrow!
Old 02-28-2016, 12:59 PM   #30
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

So no real updates here, but I figured I'd share some pictures from an event I went to last night at Orlando Speed world. It was a street car/ street bike night so no race cars allowed. Anyways tons of cool things showed up, even some rad drag scooters which is apparently a thing???

PICTURES!!!

The daily which ran a 15.xx with a slipping clutch

About everything that came out

Rad scooters that ran 7's in the 1/8!

And some misc bike pictures

Thanks to OSW for hosting the event!