Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

View Poll Results: Cracked Dash
My S13 dash is UNCRACKED 407 30.15%
My S13 dash is CRACKED 455 33.70%
My S14 dash is UNCRACKED 275 20.37%
MY S14 dash is CRACKED 213 15.78%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #1
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Cracked Dash Poll Thread

Hopefully a moderator can make this happen because either I dont know how or I dont have the ability.

Please create a POLL for:
a) My S13 Dashboard is UNCRACKED
b) My S13 Dashboard is CRACKED
and
c) My S14 Dashboard is UNCRACKED
d) My S14 Dashboard is CRACKED

I think this would be a useful indicator for us to know whether or not these parts are destined to crack overtime, regardless of how they are cared for -- vs -- these parts will not crack if you protect them from the sun / UV rays (ie: use a windshield cover / car cover).

And in case anyone is reading, if anyone is parting out a car locally in SoCal with a black interior - please PM me with photos/price. I am looking for a non-cracked dash, but I dont really think they exist anymore.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
95BoostedS14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
95BoostedS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I recently bought a 98 with a FAIRLY good dash. Has a small 1" crack by the top of the gauge cluster and a good 4-5" crack by the top of the middle a/c vents. I have a windshield visor and a car cover on at all times now though so we will see if they get worse by themselves or what the case is.
95BoostedS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #3
WERDdabuilder
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
WERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
My original dash was clean for the first couple years I got the car but after 3 years it started to crack. Found one at the yard with no cracks then a year later it cracked. S13 btw

I'm about to call around to see how much to get one reupholstered with vinyl.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
If swapping to a clean dash I know it helps to not put all the screws back in.

Also always use a sun shade if parking in the sun.

Aersospace 303 UV protectant from Ace Hardware is good shit... USE IT.

My s14 dash has been clean since I first got the car back in 06
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
Bushido
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
Bushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
my mint dash developed a crack 2 years ago... and it's growing.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #6
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Can't vote multiple times so I figured I'd post.

S14's dash had a spot when I first got the car, not true cracks as much as a nickel sized dimple where the dash had started to peel or something... Pulled the dash out of the car once, and that original spot turned into a 6" long crack or so, and second crack developed about 3-4 months later.

S13's original HUD dash was cracked to hell and back, and have a non-cracked black Dash that I've been holding onto for ~4 years now, all storage has been out of the elements for at least 6-7 years. (Guy I bought it from had it in storage for at least 3 years prior to me buying it)...

My first S13 also had an uncracked dash in 2008-2009, no idea if it's cracked since then, but as far as I could tell, it was in fairly good shape with no signs that it would crack anytime soon.

From what I've gathered, cars that have had more UV exposure / interior temperature cycling are obviously more likely to have cracked dashes. If the dash is in a car and currently uncracked, it's very likely that removing the dash without proper tools and care will cause some cracks to develop.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #7
WERDdabuilder
Post Whore!

WERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfection
Once you see random creases in your dash, it's all about over. That's what I noticed before mine started to crack.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
Chaluska
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Chaluska is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
bought my 94 vert with a perfect dash.. 3 years later it is still perfect
Old 06-22-2014, 03:13 PM   #9
acslater9
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
acslater9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Bought my s13 a year ago with an uncracked dash and now it is no different. I try to protect it at all times using that uv protective bull.
acslater9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:18 PM   #10
NISSeAN

Trader Rating: (0)
NISSeAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I drove from sunny SoCal to cold NorCal where I noticed a thin long crack centered on the steering wheel. No hope anymore
NISSeAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:35 PM   #11
the-rusty-240
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
the-rusty-240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have a 96. my dash is not cracked. But my airbags went off so fuck me.... Here in mn there isint much uv damage.
the-rusty-240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:45 PM   #12
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Accidentally stepped on the dash last week and it is still fine. I throw it around the garage, bury it under other parts, and trip over it all the time, yet it is still uncracked.
So the sun must be its only weakness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_240 View Post
There may be something to this as well, as I never bolted my dash in. I always just lay it in place.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:47 PM   #13
Drift_86
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (60)
Drift_86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 60 reviews
I had replace my dash board on my s13 two time both time they crack... My s14 came with a crack replace it and guess what it crack I just learn to deal with it 240sx dash are just Fckn stupid.....

Want to roll fenders, custom gauge pod pm me
Drift_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #14
solo_ryder
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (18)
solo_ryder is making a name for him/her selfsolo_ryder is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Most dashes here that I have seen are uncracked because we get less hot weather then the mericans down south
solo_ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #15
TwelveAM
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
TwelveAM is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Picked up a two tone s13 with blue interior. Has HUD dashboard uncracked but undecided whether to keep it or replace it for a non HUD black dashboard.
TwelveAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:06 PM   #16
LI NY 240sx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (10)
LI NY 240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERDdabuilder View Post
I'm about to call around to see how much to get one reupholstered with vinyl.
Let us know what kinda quotes you get. I realize that it could vary for different areas, but it would be nice to get an idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_240 View Post
Wouldn't this cause some extra rattles?

My S13 dash is not cracked and out of the car currently while I'm finishing the build. Now I'm worried that when I go to put it back in, it may crack. It would drive me crazy and I would need to either find another uncracked one to buy, or get it reupholstered. I'm not really feelin that overlay fix.
LI NY 240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:51 PM   #17
Future240
Future Moderator

Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
The sunlight cracked my dash. I bought it uncracked. I was driving in the sunlight and I heard it crack.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:05 PM   #18
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
The interesting thing is, I took my non-cracked dash and had it upholstered with genuine stitched leather. It was a very big project.

So far, the only exposure it got was sitting in the garage - protected from the elements, but not from the temperature swings.

Without removing the leather, its impossible to tell if it has formed any cracks. However, I did notice a small uneven surface that could be a crack.

Being a picky bastard, I may remove the leather in order to remove the OEM padded vinyl. This is the only regret I have so far because the padded vinyl is the problem. Removing it not only eliminates any chances of cracking but also gives a bit more clearance for the vents - which has also proven to be problematic with fitment.

Damn these project cars...
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:31 PM   #19
dluevanos01
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (23)
dluevanos01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
The sunlight cracked my dash. I bought it uncracked. I was driving in the sunlight and I heard it crack.
I know that feeling!!!

I had a clean, uncracked black dash with all the bolts. Took it out a couple times, threw it around, put it back in and never cracked.

One day going up a drive way, one rear wheel came off the ground and I head a ripping/cracking sound and thought it was suspension related. Got home and everything was fine. Later that day I took my sister to get In-n-Out and I stayed in the car, replied to a text, looked up and saw the rack on the left side of the cluster lump. I nearly cried.

Finding a clean dash is not that hard, people just want a lot for(more than I'm willing to pay for the).

Been wanting to buy a cracked dash to try this: http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/rep...cked-dash.html
Old 06-22-2014, 05:33 PM   #20
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
BoostSlideWayz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BoostSlideWayz Send a message via Yahoo to BoostSlideWayz
My 92 coupe's dash is completely screwed. Personally i dont have a garage and in summer time its gets up to around a 100 F. And there isn't really shade so pretty much that car gets it bad this time of year. But i do lay tarps to keep it out of the sun in the summer. But even so its very hot inside the car.

I was considering buying another s chassis for a daily but i forsure want to find a clean dash. Anyone know methods that really keep the dash from cracking ?? I know you can try to keep the car in the shade and use sprays to keep it moisturized but are there any special conditioners or methods to keeping the dash in good condition ?
Old 06-22-2014, 06:13 PM   #21
crzsteveo
Zilvia Addict

crzsteveo is an unknown quantity at this point
all dashes will crack if put in the sun or see any kind of heat from the sun.

the only way a uncracked dash will survive if its in a garage everysingle day.

I had a 100%perfect dash, I went a away a few days on spring break, came back to a cracked dash.
crzsteveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:44 PM   #22
omgRWDgoodness!
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (48)
omgRWDgoodness! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
I tried unsuccessfully to order a brand-new OEM dashboard from my local dealership a little over a year ago Someone should make a mold of a clean, uncracked dashboard (both HUD & analog) and start making quality reproductions similar to what DorkiDori is doing with the S13 Aero front bumpers recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveAM View Post
Picked up a two tone s13 with blue interior. Has HUD dashboard uncracked but undecided whether to keep it or replace it for a non HUD black dashboard.
Let me know if/when you decide to sell it! I had a WTB for an uncracked blue HUD dashboard in my signature for the longest time a while back, haha.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:51 PM   #23
yomisiu
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (16)
yomisiu is making a name for him/her selfyomisiu is making a name for him/her selfyomisiu is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
has anyone here bought this? Robot Racing Carbon Fiber Dashboard - Nissan 240SX S13/S14 89-98
yomisiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:13 PM   #24
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
inopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
ive never seen a cracked dash in person. parted out many 240s interiors too
inopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:16 PM   #25
Primo's Silvia
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
Primo's Silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Black 1993 has 3cracks over cluster -.-
Blue s14 dash has a Y crack over the cluster -.-
And i sold my brow uncracked dash, it had a cut the size of a clipped finger nail
Primo's Silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #26
Touge_Monster
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
Touge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Had my dashboard in two different cars. Was untracked until someone broke in and ripped my aftermarket gauges off of my dash. Now has two small cracks but it has not gotten worse or developed anymore
This thread gave me aids, thank you based god.
Touge_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:06 PM   #27
dudermagee
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
dudermagee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Didn't know that s14 dashes cracked....guess I better start using protection
dudermagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #28
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
ALL old cars tend to have cracked dashboards, ESPECIALLY when exposed to lots of sun light or large temperature swings. 240 dashes are really pretty decent as a LOT of other cars have dashes that crack 10000000000x worse and sooner than 240's. My current car has a cracked dash and I'm not really worried about it since I'm planning on turning it into a SCCA ITA racecar. I actaully have another 240 that I was thinking about stealing the clean dash from, but the car will be an easier sell and worth more with the complete minty fresh interior. I might keep it as a driver too, haven't decided for sure yet...
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:12 PM   #29
WristWork
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
WristWork is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
My dash is uncracked

I always use a sun shade and just let it fall, covering the whole dash
I never use any products, just wipe it down with a paper towel

Also its barely bolted on, including center console and I have zero rattles.
WristWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:25 PM   #30
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Non-cracked dash in my S14. Spent 3-4yrs outside in Fl sun without cracking. Has been in the garage for the past 3yrs and no signs of cracking yet. I do keep armor all or some time of UV protectant on it.