Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:05 PM   #1
mattrobertsxn
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
mattrobertsxn is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Ka24de (WONT IDLE W/Maf plugged in) READ ENTIRE POST

Ok guys. I need help on why my car wont idle

I just finished rebuild on my motor, its a dual exhaust cam KA (previous owner did it) anyways i put everything back together and cant figure out why my car wont idle BUT today i got it to idle by unplugging the maf sensor after i cleaned the maf and did all that. Car jumps to like 2k and dies afterwards with maf plugged in, unplugged it sits steadilyish at 1500 cold. I have timed the distributor and playing with the cap (retarding/advancing) hasnt effected my idle from what i can tell as i move it while its running. I havent cleaned the iacv, am willing to try but, keep in mind The car was running fine before rebuild, the iacv shouldnt fail right after i put everything together, thatd be unfortunate and confusing lol.

I do want to try adjusting the tps, but then again IT WAS running fine before i just burnt a lot of oil.

Therefore i think it could possibly be vacuum leak, or something not plugged in properly, or a sensor, possibly
Maf, but then again why would the maf just take a shit all the sudden when the cars only ran for a total of around 10-20 minutes since i pulled it. With maf unplugged it is in limp mode below 3k and check engine comes on. Although i really hope its my maf, i truly doubt it is. If anyone has an idea on what i can check, let me know anything helps, and if anyone has a diagram for vacuum or pictures of the setup for ka’s, i could also use that as well so i can review all of my lines. Pictures and video to come. Maf wasnt that dirty after cleaning.

The motor bounces around in the bay like a grenade as well. Like its detonating or something, but its not giving me a sensor code on ecu, im not sure if thats how it works though, if it will give me a knock sensor code if its detonating. Whatever im rambling now, i just need ideas so i can drive my daily again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattrobertsxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2018, 10:11 AM   #2
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrobertsxn View Post
Ok guys. I need help on why my car wont idle

I just finished rebuild on my motor, its a dual exhaust cam KA (previous owner did it) anyways i put everything back together and cant figure out why my car wont idle BUT today i got it to idle by unplugging the maf sensor after i cleaned the maf and did all that. Car jumps to like 2k and dies afterwards with maf plugged in, unplugged it sits steadilyish at 1500 cold. I have timed the distributor and playing with the cap (retarding/advancing) hasnt effected my idle from what i can tell as i move it while its running. I havent cleaned the iacv, am willing to try but, keep in mind The car was running fine before rebuild, the iacv shouldnt fail right after i put everything together, thatd be unfortunate and confusing lol.

I do want to try adjusting the tps, but then again IT WAS running fine before i just burnt a lot of oil.

Therefore i think it could possibly be vacuum leak, or something not plugged in properly, or a sensor, possibly
Maf, but then again why would the maf just take a shit all the sudden when the cars only ran for a total of around 10-20 minutes since i pulled it. With maf unplugged it is in limp mode below 3k and check engine comes on. Although i really hope its my maf, i truly doubt it is. If anyone has an idea on what i can check, let me know anything helps, and if anyone has a diagram for vacuum or pictures of the setup for ka’s, i could also use that as well so i can review all of my lines. Pictures and video to come. Maf wasnt that dirty after cleaning.

The motor bounces around in the bay like a grenade as well. Like its detonating or something, but its not giving me a sensor code on ecu, im not sure if thats how it works though, if it will give me a knock sensor code if its detonating. Whatever im rambling now, i just need ideas so i can drive my daily again.

id start with pulling the codes
but the chapter EF-EC is what youd be looking for in the fsm if you have an s13 and want to test the maf
Old 07-23-2018, 05:37 AM   #3
KoukiMonsta
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
KoukiMonsta is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Does it smooth out as you increase RPM?

The motor 'bouncing around' tells me
A) your motor mounts are shot
B) your misfiring. - Are you sure the plug wires go to correct spot on dizzy? Are you sure it's timed correctly?

You 'played with the cap', did you use a light?

My bet is spark/timing related based on what info I have.

Vac leak, even a big one, should just be high idle...but not so rough.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:30 PM   #4
mattrobertsxn
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoukiMonsta View Post
Does it smooth out as you increase RPM?

The motor 'bouncing around' tells me
A) your motor mounts are shot
B) your misfiring. - Are you sure the plug wires go to correct spot on dizzy? Are you sure it's timed correctly?

You 'played with the cap', did you use a light?

My bet is spark/timing related based on what info I have.

Vac leak, even a big one, should just be high idle...but not so rough.

Ok. So, yesterday i took the car for a drive, it wont idle, but it definitely let me really feel whats going on. Car would rev past 3k but quickly start sputtering and either sounding like its misfiring, not getting fuel, or something along those lines. I didnt use a timing light and cant because i have dual exhaust cam bullshit from previous owner, so when i timed it, everything is off by one notch. So im pretty sure even using a timing light it will say its off.

What do you mean do wires go to right spot on dizzy? If you mean to distributor, yes they came labeled and the caps labeled so i have double checked and made sure all of them are in the right spot.

I ordered a new maf last night, and hopefully that will fix idle problem, but i feel like theres a decent chance it is out of time, since timing it with the dual exhaust cam made it that much harder.

Got new spark plugs on the way as well.

Am i wrong about the dual cam timing shit? I read literally every forum on dual exhaust cams, and theyre not the most informative i would say.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:49 PM   #5
mattrobertsxn
Zilvia Member

Another thing:
Car only breaks up like that when its in gear and im driving the car. I will verify this when i get home. Im almost positive

Old 07-25-2018, 11:10 AM   #6
mattrobertsxn
Zilvia Member

Car would some times sputter under 3-3.5k but it was smooth(ish) getting up there

Old 07-26-2018, 05:38 AM   #7
KoukiMonsta
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
KoukiMonsta is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrobertsxn View Post
i have dual exhaust cam bullshit from previous owner,
I am making assumptions as to what this means, but have never heard of it. Never been a KA guy so that doesn't mean much.

Timing light should still work. It tells you when the plug fires in relation to crank shaft angle. This should NOT change. Generally speaking 'all cars' run 15*BTDC. So you still want to be there.

If you mean to distributor, yes they came labeled and the caps labeled so i have double checked and made sure all of them are in the right spot.
correct, if you have cylinders firing out of order it will run terribly.

I am not at all convinced MAF will do anything.

i feel like theres a decent chance it is out of time
This is the direction you need to be thinking. Misfire, preignition, out of time, out of order. something along those lines.

I really cant help to make sure your timing chain is correct, since idk wtf this dual cam thing is. But IMO that's your issue.

Do you have any codes? [Knock?] EDIT: I know you said you didnt before, but now you have actually driven it, that can change.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:53 AM   #8
mattrobertsxn
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoukiMonsta View Post
I am making assumptions as to what this means, but have never heard of it. Never been a KA guy so that doesn't mean much.

Timing light should still work. It tells you when the plug fires in relation to crank shaft angle. This should NOT change. Generally speaking 'all cars' run 15*BTDC. So you still want to be there.

If you mean to distributor, yes they came labeled and the caps labeled so i have double checked and made sure all of them are in the right spot.
correct, if you have cylinders firing out of order it will run terribly.

I am not at all convinced MAF will do anything.

i feel like theres a decent chance it is out of time
This is the direction you need to be thinking. Misfire, preignition, out of time, out of order. something along those lines.

I really cant help to make sure your timing chain is correct, since idk wtf this dual cam thing is. But IMO that's your issue.

Do you have any codes? [Knock?] EDIT: I know you said you didnt before, but now you have actually driven it, that can change.

I will recheck the codes again, no knock last time i checked. Will post what my
Maf replacement does for me, im sure it wont do shit either, but i need my car running asap, so if this fixes it that would be a dream lol. I will see what the timing light reads and post that, i need to go rent one from oreillys.

Old 12-24-2019, 11:22 AM   #9
Mint_green_s13

Trader Rating: (0)
Mint_green_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did you ever resolve this issue. I’m having a similar problem where as soon as the maf is plugged in it revs up then sputters our. I’ve been through every test I can think of and tried new maf and ecu.
Mint_green_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 07:39 PM   #10
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint_green_s13 View Post
Did you ever resolve this issue. I’m having a similar problem where as soon as the maf is plugged in it revs up then sputters our. I’ve been through every test I can think of and tried new maf and ecu.
Welcome, but no need to bump a year old post, u could of pmd the op, n asked or made a thread, asking for help.

But...

I would get a multimeter n pin test the voltage on the maf

Download the fsm to find correct pin out on the maf
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 12:26 AM   #11
Juantwo3
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
Juantwo3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Timing is off