Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:11 PM   #1
Frank_Jaeger
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Frank_Jaeger is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
AEM EMS Issues

My buddy has a 95 S14 with KA24DE, bone stock everything. He recently got an AEM EMS part number 1611. The car will not start using the base calibration file for 1611. He has another mystery map that at least starts the car, although when it does it dumps fuel and barely idles and then dies. This is with stock injectors, maf, etc, and configuring the AEM. I was under the impression that a base calibration should at least start the vehicle. If we replace the trigger wheel with the OEM piece and reinstall the stock ECU the car starts up immediately and runs fine. Any ideas?
Frank_Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2016, 03:43 PM   #2
Juan@Fontananissan
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Juan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
read the calibration notes, most of the time the calibrations AEM has that are "startup maps" are for a not stock engine. so it is always recommended to let a calibrator that knows what they are doing install & map the EMS.

(951)708-1648 | [email protected]
Juan@Fontananissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:17 PM   #3
Frank_Jaeger
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan@Fontananissan View Post
read the calibration notes, most of the time the calibrations AEM has that are "startup maps" are for a not stock engine. so it is always recommended to let a calibrator that knows what they are doing install & map the EMS.
The notes on the base calibration say they're for a stock engine, stock maf, stock injectors, stock intake, etc. I'm thinking it's some kind of timing issue? The car doesn't even start to catch when cranking. I think it's not syncing to the new trigger wheel properly.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:21 PM   #4
Juan@Fontananissan
Zilvia Member

Juan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura aboutJuan@Fontananissan has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Jaeger View Post
The notes on the base calibration say they're for a stock engine, stock maf, stock injectors, stock intake, etc. I'm thinking it's some kind of timing issue? The car doesn't even start to catch when cranking. I think it's not syncing to the new trigger wheel properly.
You should def sync the ignition timing. it's not as simple as swapping a trigger wheel and go. you'll still have to set the base ignition timing with a timing gun and the software. better read that manual from front to back.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:28 PM   #5
Frank_Jaeger
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
You should def sync the ignition timing. it's not as simple as swapping a trigger wheel and go. you'll still have to set the base ignition timing with a timing gun and the software. better read that manual from front to back.
That's what I don't understand. How can you sync ignition timing when you can't even get the car to start?
Old 12-22-2016, 09:16 AM   #6
Juan@Fontananissan
Zilvia Member

Pull the sparkplugs, unplug the injectors, crank it with a timing light hooked up and go to town.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:27 AM   #7
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
battery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
on a base map that was supplied for the engine, did you guys see stat sync?
battery1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:22 PM   #8
Frank_Jaeger
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Pull the sparkplugs, unplug the injectors, crank it with a timing light hooked up and go to town.
Will try, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by battery1882 View Post
on a base map that was supplied for the engine, did you guys see stat sync?
No! If I remember right it was OFF while cranking.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:04 PM   #9
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

battery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Will try, thanks!

No! If I remember right it was OFF while cranking.
Well that's probably the problem..

I had a similar issue with EMS recently. you need to read the s tooth value and put that into MX count for ems to read your crank position. refer to older ems v1 manual on how to do that. base maps are really crappy but it will run.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:07 PM   #10
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Here I found it for you : http://www.catalograck.com/ImgVD/AEM/30-1611.pdf

bottom of page 4 is what you need to look at and do to your friend's car.

This description is not on the new manual (ems v2) as they come with aem cas disc. May want to consider running aem cas disc in the future.
Old 12-25-2016, 05:38 PM   #11
Frank_Jaeger
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by battery1882 View Post
Here I found it for you : http://www.catalograck.com/ImgVD/AEM/30-1611.pdf

bottom of page 4 is what you need to look at and do to your friend's car.

This description is not on the new manual (ems v2) as they come with aem cas disc. May want to consider running aem cas disc in the future.
So if we use the stock trigger wheel we have to set MX count, but if we're using the AEM trigger wheel it should sync automatically with EMS V1?
Old 12-25-2016, 07:52 PM   #12
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
local tuner advised of the same issue...base maps would not run very well if at all...gl with tuning!
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:38 AM   #13
Juan@Fontananissan
Zilvia Member

Quote:
So if we use the stock trigger wheel we have to set MX count, but if we're using the AEM trigger wheel it should sync automatically with EMS V1?
http://www.aemelectronics.com/files/...Play%20EMS.pdf

start reading.

Old 01-01-2017, 02:51 AM   #14
Frank_Jaeger
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
I've already read that several times. It states that for a V2 EMS you need an AEM trigger wheel. What I'm asking is if you need one for V1 EMS? According to what battery1882 said, it leads me to believe that the AEM trigger wheels are not supposed to be used or are not required on V1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
local tuner advised of the same issue...base maps would not run very well if at all...gl with tuning!
That reflects poorly on AEM. How hard would it be for them to dump an OEM ROM and rework it? Hint: it's not. If the provided base map runs so poorly you can't even drive (or start the car), how are you supposed to bring it to a tuner?
Old 01-02-2017, 10:17 AM   #15
Juan@Fontananissan
Zilvia Member

Quote:
I've already read that several times. It states that for a V2 EMS you need an AEM trigger wheel. What I'm asking is if you need one for V1 EMS? According to what battery1882 said, it leads me to believe that the AEM trigger wheels are not supposed to be used or are not required on V1.

That reflects poorly on AEM. How hard would it be for them to dump an OEM ROM and rework it? Hint: it's not. If the provided base map runs so poorly you can't even drive (or start the car), how are you supposed to bring it to a tuner?
AEM did not have proper support of the OE Trigger wheel until their latest Infinity EMS, you absolutely need it.

Haltech, AEM, Vipec & Motec all provide you with a "rough starting point" but by no means is it intended to drive on, the only EMS in the market that has a startup map for a stock engine is Apexi Power FC. if you are having this much of an issue getting your car to sync timing and fire up i highly recommend you bring it to someone qualified with AEM EMS before you break something.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:06 AM   #16
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
With AEM trigger wheel, you have to set the boundary and it should sync with ems v1.

any luck with starting?