Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:28 AM   #1
JdmDrift4Food
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (16)
JdmDrift4Food is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Loggerhead Bionic Wrench?

Anyone have any experience with the Loggerhead Wrenches?
loggerheadtools, Home of the Bionic Wrench
Seems like a cool concept, and would be awesome to only have to use 1 wrench instead of switching through a bunch. I'm really skeptical about products I see on tv though. Most are scams and completely useless. Just wondering how well it works and if it is able to handle the jobs I will throw at it, along with the tight spaces that come with them! Any input would help, thanks! (:
JdmDrift4Food is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
Razi
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
Razi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Doesn't look like it ratchets, or be useful in tight spaces.
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:46 AM   #3
blacksmith
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
blacksmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looks like it would be good if you worked at jiffy lube so you wouldn't have to change wrenches constantly for different car models for transmission and motor oil but other than that, it looks big and awkward to really be useful on a motor or tight areas of suspension.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:46 AM   #4
JdmDrift4Food
Zilvia Junkie

It almost acts as a ratchet. You just have to release the grip on the nut, you dont have to take it off the nut like a regular wrench. But thats not the problem, I just thought it would be nice to use a wrench for multiple sized nuts, so no digging through the tool box. Im very unorganized..

And ya.. Thats what I figured by glancing at it, but you never know. Was hoping someone had experience with one. I am mostly working in tight areas such as motor/tranny/suspension/interior.. Always have a project! May just have to start being a little more organized haha
Old 06-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
theres no replacement for a good set of tools. not one tool, a set of tools. understand?

ratchet set
socket set
wrench set
flare wrench set

buying that tool is like saying you want to rebuild your car with vice grips
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
JdmDrift4Food
Zilvia Junkie

Real men build cars from the ground up with only a set of vice grips.... (:
But in all seriousness, you can't tell me anything if you have never used it.

Telling me that tool is useless if you have never used it is like saying mountain dew is ewwwwwwey because you never tried it.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
Razi
Zilvia Addict

It isn't even that hard to carry the correct wrenches over to the car.
Once you've worked on the car a couple of times, you'll know what sizes you'll need for the project.

The lack of a ratcheting mechanism would annoy me, and the large head will probably limit where it can actually fit and be used.

Feel free to buy it and review it though.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
JdmDrift4Food
Zilvia Junkie

I have "worked on the car a couple times" lol I am on my 6th 240, all of which I have put many hours into. I buy shitty cars and resell them after I put work into them. Its not that I dont know what sizes I need, Im just tired of having my tools scattered all over the place. I was hoping someone has tried this, and would let me know. Although you are probably right, It doesnt look like it would fit on many places in the engine bay. I need a nice tool box lol
Old 06-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
zeebrah
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (14)
zeebrah is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
If you're not even going to listen to what people say and keep inputting what you want then why did you even ask?
And I have used one if these before and was not a fan. Especially compared to regular tools it's just too much of a head ache. Assuming you're working on your car from the ground it's a pain in the asssssss. My buddies dad bought it for him for Christmas and guanrteed it's been sitting since. And never once have we been like "oh you know whattool would be great for this job...the bionic wrench" haha.
Imo: not worth the investment. Use money towards something else
Old 06-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #10
roboticnissan
Nissanaholic!

roboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
theres no replacement for a good set of tools. not one tool, a set of tools. understand?

ratchet set
socket set
wrench set
flare wrench set

buying that tool is like saying you want to rebuild your car with vice grips

This man definitely. Buying nice tools and the right tools for the job is the way togo man.
i recommend a nice set of combo wrenchs, long ones. And a set of ratcheting wrenches.
And a basic tool set.

You say youre not organized, GET ORGANIZED, i guarantee my advice is way more valuable than any "multi" tool out there
Old 06-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #11
JdmDrift4Food
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks for the input zeebrah, thats what I was looking for. I do need to invest in a set of ratcheting wrenches. And as stated, need a nice toolbox to get my shit organized. Figured this tool was too good to be true haha, thanks!
Old 06-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #12
KendallH
Zilvia Addict

KendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choices
This looks like something from one of those infomertials you see at 4AM. Can I double my order and just pay additional shipping and handling?
KendallH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #13
imnatelol
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
imnatelol is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Let's put it this way, if you're too lazy to use multiple wrenches, I wouldn't advise you touch a car
imnatelol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #14
JdmDrift4Food
Zilvia Junkie

Its not about being lazy, but thank you. Its that I dont own a big enough tool box, so most of my tools are laying around/in my cars. I have a small craftsman toolbox. Like 2 feet tall by 2 feet wide, and only has 5 drawers.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #15
zeebrah
Zilvia Junkie

Best investment I ever made was buyin the craftsman *I think* 250 piece set. Basically whatever one comes with it's own tool box and has slots and markings for each tool...
Ask a sears employee when the next sale is and how much that item will be. (a buddy works there so he looked it up) and u can get it for nearly half off if the sale/timing is right.
I used to be like u just threw my shit everywhere but I made it habit to pit refuting back after I used...and since it comes with premade slots and says the siZes it makes everything a million times easier and just becomes habit.
Oh and as far as ratcheting wrenches I own those too biut I think if it came down to it I wouldn't make that purchase again. They're not snapped the same and personally I don't like them and hardly ever use them. I mean they're cool when u do but idk if worth the money. Then again idk your budget...
Old 06-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #16
Mishkin_707
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Mishkin_707 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well, invest in a bigger toolbox, sears always has good sales on tools and toolboxes, this thing sucks, it would only be good to break the glass if you lock yourself out of a car....lol
Mishkin_707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #17
zeebrah
Zilvia Junkie

FUck you iPhone auto correct I look illiterate ^^
Old 06-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #18
JdmDrift4Food
Zilvia Junkie

Lol good way to look at it mishkin! And thanks for the opinions guys. I will check into the craftsman sets at sears. Almost all of my tools are craftsman anyways, I love the lifetime warranty from sears (: As far as ratcheting wrenches, I love em. My friend has some and if there is a tight spot, they come in handy so you dont have to keep taking it off the bolt or nut.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #19
Razi
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JdmDrift4Food View Post
I need a nice tool box lol
I just use an old file cabinet we had. Hahaha
Old 06-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #20
JdmDrift4Food
Zilvia Junkie

Lol my dad uses a home made wood tool cabinet, sooo ghetto. File cabine isnt a bad idea, even though a tool box wouldnt be too much moolah. Just throw on some tape and marker on whats in the drawers!
Old 06-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #21
imnatelol
Zilvia Junkie

Harbor freight has decent boxes for cheap. If I didn't use tools for my profession, that's what I would be buying. Lol but of course I'm a slave to the snap on, Mac, and matco trucks.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #22
JdmDrift4Food
Zilvia Junkie

I wish I had money to throw towards snap-on, mac, or matco. Legit tools! I have no problem using craftsman from sears though, Ive only broke 2 ratchets and I returned them and got new ones. Maybe one day I will be a true mechanic pimp and buy a whole snap-on tool set
Old 06-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #23
blacktop2nr
Leaky Injector

blacktop2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
there is no such thing as a good universal tool. seems like a good way to strip nuts and bolts.
blacktop2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #24
blacktop2nr
Leaky Injector

blacktop2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
I use my tools every day, spend money on a couple of good ratchets and ratcheting box end wrenches. you really dont need to spend money on expensive tools if youre not in the shop everyday turning wrenches. If youre going to spend good money on tools avoid matco or mac the quality is not there for the price. Stick with snap-on, worth the money, just dont go crazy with it. hope the advice helps. Oh almost forgot look at the blue point ratcheting box end wrenches, still made by snap-on just half the price of the snap-on set. the set comes with 9-19mm had my set for 9 years and counting.
blacktop2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #25
JdmDrift4Food
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks! I'll check into them.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #26
imnatelol
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktop2nr View Post
I use my tools every day, spend money on a couple of good ratchets and ratcheting box end wrenches. you really dont need to spend money on expensive tools if youre not in the shop everyday turning wrenches. If youre going to spend good money on tools avoid matco or mac the quality is not there for the price. Stick with snap-on, worth the money, just dont go crazy with it. hope the advice helps. Oh almost forgot look at the blue point ratcheting box end wrenches, still made by snap-on just half the price of the snap-on set. the set comes with 9-19mm had my set for 9 years and counting.
NOT made by snap on, nothing with the blue point logo is made by snap on. Just rebranded shit that they sell. Still good stuff though. And about the inferior quality of Mac and matco, I disagree with the matco part. I mean I try to be as unbiased as I can when it comes to brand names and tools but damn man alot of the matco stuff just blows snap on out of the water. For example I own a few matco 88 tooth ratchets, snap on only makes 80 tooth. The ratcheting action feels so much better. I've had both snap on and matco 1/4 drive electric impact wrenches, the matco one is FAR superior to the snap on. But don't think I'm a matco fanboi, I have things that I like better in the snap on variety but it's very unfair to say that matco quality is inferior to snap on. And Mac, well that shit just looks cheap haha.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #27
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
As far as the OP. Anytime you see laminate steel tools they are junk. Muli-plates riveted together like a cheap masterlock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnatelol View Post
Harbor freight has decent boxes for cheap. If I didn't use tools for my profession, that's what I would be buying. Lol but of course I'm a slave to the snap on, Mac, and matco trucks.
I have gotten better tools at HF than I have gotten name brand. If it doesn't say "Made in USA" The HF stuff is usually better.
Craftsman you have to get the Made in USA to get the warranty.
Cobalt and Husky were made in the USA till Lowes and Home Despot bought them out for their house brands. Now made in Taiwan and China. Cost 2-4x as much as HF and are less quality.
The trucks now have off brands on them. At first I was like what is crap the driver is trying to sneak on his truck. Then I looked on the Snap-on website and it was there too. Still love their name brand "made in usa" stuff.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #28
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

word sux is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
As far as the OP. Anytime you see laminate steel tools they are junk. Muli-plates riveted together like a cheap masterlock.

I have gotten better tools at HF than I have gotten name brand. If it doesn't say "Made in USA" The HF stuff is usually better.
Craftsman you have to get the Made in USA to get the warranty.
Cobalt and Husky were made in the USA till Lowes and Home Despot bought them out for their house brands. Now made in Taiwan and China. Cost 2-4x as much as HF and are less quality.
The trucks now have off brands on them. At first I was like what is crap the driver is trying to sneak on his truck. Then I looked on the Snap-on website and it was there too. Still love their name brand "made in usa" stuff.

I agree as a tech when I look at that tool its just screams CHEAP JUNK! hf is junk some of it works most of it does not, if you buy something from their don't plan on using it more then once. I don't buy snap-on anymore since they try to fuck you every chance they get... snap on your strap on and prepare to get fucked!

on brand that I have been using allot and loving is sunex.
word sux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #29
word sux
Zilvia FREAK!

word sux is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnatelol View Post
NOT made by snap on, nothing with the blue point logo is made by snap on. Just rebranded shit that they sell. Still good stuff though. And about the inferior quality of Mac and matco, I disagree with the matco part. I mean I try to be as unbiased as I can when it comes to brand names and tools but damn man alot of the matco stuff just blows snap on out of the water. For example I own a few matco 88 tooth ratchets, snap on only makes 80 tooth. The ratcheting action feels so much better. I've had both snap on and matco 1/4 drive electric impact wrenches, the matco one is FAR superior to the snap on. But don't think I'm a matco fanboi, I have things that I like better in the snap on variety but it's very unfair to say that matco quality is inferior to snap on. And Mac, well that shit just looks cheap haha.

most snap on stuff is not made by snap on...

I like how they rebrand their welders then sell them for x2 the price... snap on is just like how most brands have become overpriced junk with a designer name slapped on.
word sux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #30
JdmDrift4Food
Zilvia Junkie

Sunex tools huh? Never heard of them. May have to check into them. Although, like I said, I have trusted craftsman and sears is awesome about the lifetime warranty thing.