Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
lude4life13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
lude4life13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Wheel Bearing Help

I have a noise/drone/slight vibration that increases with speed and after researched I have determined it must be a wheel bearing. The sound is coming from the front, but I cannot tell which side.

My question is: how can I diagnose which side has the bad bearing? I would prefer not to have to replace them both. I tried jacking up the car and moving the wheels, and didn't get any movement on either side. I also took off the wheels and tried looking for movement within the suspension and got nothing as well. Is there anything else I can do before having to just replace them both?

In case it matters I have a 1990 S13 with 5 lug hub swap.
lude4life13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
Dustxking
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
Dustxking is a glorious beacon of lightDustxking is a glorious beacon of lightDustxking is a glorious beacon of lightDustxking is a glorious beacon of lightDustxking is a glorious beacon of lightDustxking is a glorious beacon of lightDustxking is a glorious beacon of lightDustxking is a glorious beacon of lightDustxking is a glorious beacon of lightDustxking is a glorious beacon of lightDustxking is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
How i can tell is get your car in the air and stable dont just jack it up. Put it on jack stands or on a lift. Make sure wheels are free spinning aka not on a aligment rack.
And grab your wheel (not steering wheel) and shake it side to side and up and down see if there is any movement in the wheel.

How to: Check a wheel hub bearing assembly - YouTube
Dustxking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
lude4life13
Zilvia Junkie

That is exactly how I checked it. Both sides on stands at the same time. Any other ways besides this?
Old 12-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
shalezzz
Zilvia Junkie

shalezzz is an unknown quantity at this point
may sound silly but are your tires shitty? do you have uneven wear?
shalezzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
lude4life13
Zilvia Junkie

Nope, hankook ventus evo v12's even wear. This problem somewhat popped up out of the blue. I noticed a bit of noise on the freeway at certain speeds in the past but now it comes up anytime I'm over 25mph. I also recently adjusted my camber a bit. Would that play into this at all?
Old 12-02-2011, 10:06 PM   #6
shalezzz
Zilvia Junkie

shalezzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Doubt it, just make sure all you lug nuts are tighted and and the directional tread on your tires are going the right way, when my bearing went it made a ton of noise and had alot of play so much so where without even looking at it it feels unsafe lol I would just keep driving till it develops further and you can clearly tell what side it is IMHO
shalezzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #7
rb20240sx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
rb20240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Its usually the passenger side. are your hubs from an s14? Mines bad now and I know its a common problem with them on that side
Old 12-02-2011, 11:08 PM   #8
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
what is your set up? S14 hubs or Ichiba/ebay?
how did you torque the hub nuts? impact? breaker bar or torque wrench

the torque requirements between s13s and s14s are different
I was experiencing similar issues and was about to replace the hubs
but decided to borrow a torque wrench from a friend and torque the nuts to spec
it did the trick
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #9
rcdad123
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
rcdad123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
turn left or right at 25 mph or higher. if the noise is louder when making a right turn, it`s the left bearing, and if it`s louder making a left turn, it`s the right bearing.
rcdad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
weissguy
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
weissguy is a jewel in the roughweissguy is a jewel in the roughweissguy is a jewel in the roughweissguy is a jewel in the roughweissguy is a jewel in the roughweissguy is a jewel in the roughweissguy is a jewel in the roughweissguy is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Some decent advice but if you feel no play in them, which is common for these type of bearings, the next best thing to do is to remove the wheel from the car and turn the hub by hand. It will almost definitely feel more difficult to turn than it should or make a grinding noise. To test without pulling wheel off you can use a stethoscope to listen for noise in the hub.
weissguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #11
lude4life13
Zilvia Junkie

Ok guys thanks for all the information.

It turns out that the front hubs (which have the problem) are j30 hubs with s13 bearings pressed in them. Technically speaking, those bearings are removable from the hubs without having to replace the hubs as well right?

Also, if I decided to replace the entire hub, would I be okay with having one side with an s14/ichiba and the other with a j30?

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:23 PM   #12
lude4life13
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdad123 View Post
turn left or right at 25 mph or higher. if the noise is louder when making a right turn, it`s the left bearing, and if it`s louder making a left turn, it`s the right bearing.
For the reference of future searchers, I tried this and it gave me a pretty solid idea about which side was bad.

Another thing I tried just to be 100% sure was jack my car up, turn the wheel to the outside (this would only work for front wheels), I grabbed my BMX bike and put it on the ground upside-down so that the rear wheel on the BMX bike was touching the cars wheel. I turned my bike pedals which spun my car wheel fast enough to clearly hear the bad bearing. Trying to spin the wheel by hand to check the bearings usually doesn't get it fast enough to determine whether they are bad or not.

Also, I still never had any place in the hub, so that does not always tell you if the bearings are bad or not.

Last edited by lude4life13; 01-23-2012 at 02:48 PM..
Old 12-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #13
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
Quote:
Originally Posted by lude4life13 View Post
Ok guys thanks for all the information.

It turns out that the front hubs (which have the problem) are j30 hubs with s13 bearings pressed in them. Technically speaking, those bearings are removable from the hubs without having to replace the hubs as well right?

Also, if I decided to replace the entire hub, would I be okay with having one side with an s14/ichiba and the other with a j30?

Thanks again for all the help.
Wouldn't fit, spindles are different sizes... you'd need different knuckles/balljoints.
S13 wheel bearings = S13 knuckles and ball joints
S14 wheel bearings = S14 knuckles and ball joints

Also I thought J30 front hubs only fit on S14 knuckles? correct me if it's the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lude4life13 View Post

Another thing I tried just to be 100% sure was jack my car up, turn the wheel to the outside (this would only work for front wheels), I grabbed my BMX bike and put it on the ground upside-down so that the rear wheel on the BMX bike was touching the cars wheel. I turned my bike pedals which spun my car wheel fast enough to clearly hear the bad bearing.
^not a bad idea. It's true a wheel bearing doesn't always have to have play in it for it to be bad.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:49 AM   #14
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
If you make a slight left turn, and the noise presents itself, then the right side bearing is bad. And vice versa. I would replace both though.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:29 PM   #15
lude4life13
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_240 View Post

Also I thought J30 front hubs only fit on S14 knuckles? correct me if it's the other way around.
I think the J30 front hubs fit the s13 knuckles, which is why people do it as opposed to going z32/s14 hub on s13's. Does anyone know for sure to clarify?