Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-14-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
LED s14 gauge cluster bulbs. What do you use?

I've been through a couple sets of wide angle "hyper white" led bulbs in my 97' but always get a blotchy blue color.

^what I have now. It looks bluer and duller in person.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fmini-wedge.html
^anybody have experience with these 360* bulbs? Im wondering how white the cool white bulbs really are.

I'm looking for some bulbs that will give my cluster a crisp white color without looking blotchy... preferably with a clock bulb.

Post up what you have and please be specific.

Last edited by az_240; 02-14-2010 at 07:43 PM..
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
NINJASPY
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
NINJASPY is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
cool white=is about 6kelvin too blue imo.
leds wont do much. The design of the cluster bulb location makes the leds not light evenly.
Led needles on the other hand work pretty well.
those 360 lights are just multiple leds pointed at random directions.

You need wide angle leds that point forward.

I myself went for amber regular bulbs. They work ok.
NINJASPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
az_240
Post Whore!

az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Do you have actual experience with the 360s? They look like they'd work well and put out a lot of light. Any experience with the warm white? Not a fan of amber bulbs.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
DFWZenki
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
DFWZenki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
S14 LED Cluster Bulbs

I know what you mean. I have White LED's in my whole interior but my cluster is a little more Blue. They are bright and distribute light evenly. Got them from SuperBrightLeds.com. But i was hopeing for something a little more true WHITE. IMOA i wouldnt use "Cool White" if your going for a white look. The white ones are blue enough when used with a un-modified cluster. I hate amber as well. With you on that. I know our cars are 15 years old and all but they dont have to look like it. LOL.
Also did you change out the bulb for your clock too? It dosent look like the stock bulb.

I've been told there is a thin blue layer behind the cluster inside (see through plastic) that gives it the hint of blue. Ive been meaning to pull it apart and look but havent. Here is a before and after of mine.
The after pic looks pretty white but in person it is more Blue.
Let me know if you have any questions. Hope this helps.
*Pics are taken with my Iphone.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Close up:

BULBS I USED:
(the ones i used are the three on top in the pic)

DFWZenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
rebornS14
Zilvia FREAK!

rebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to rebornS14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWZenki View Post

BULBS I USED:
(the ones i used are the three on top in the pic)

from this pic, where can i get the one on the bottom right so i can use it to replace the dead bulbs in my a/c and hazard, and defroster button.
rebornS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
Kougeki
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Kougeki has a reputation beyond reputeKougeki has a reputation beyond reputeKougeki has a reputation beyond reputeKougeki has a reputation beyond reputeKougeki has a reputation beyond reputeKougeki has a reputation beyond reputeKougeki has a reputation beyond reputeKougeki has a reputation beyond reputeKougeki has a reputation beyond reputeKougeki has a reputation beyond reputeKougeki has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kougeki Send a message via MSN to Kougeki Send a message via Yahoo to Kougeki
Ooooooo! I like the bright white.

Gamertag:XxChumbawumbaxX
Kougeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
DFWZenki
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJASPY View Post
I guess the 360 leds I got were shitty ones

But led needles are where its at.
Didnt mean to offend you on the Amber color thing. LOL. IMOA i dont really like it. If that is what you like than go with it. Thats what its about!
Never tried the LED Needles. Sounds pretty cool. Any pics of them?
The cluster is a little more blue in person. But the rest of the interior is actually that white. I only have my cell phone to take pics with. Ill try to get some different pics later.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:42 PM   #8
NINJASPY
Zilvia FREAK!

I guess the 360 leds I got were shitty ones

But led needles are where its at.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #9
az_240
Post Whore!

^Nice. Wish I had the digital climate control. Did you replace those bulbs as well?

^here is my LED climate control. Was a PITA and looks like shit... just soldered in some leds/resistors in place of what was there. I want to eventually redo it with more bulbs so its not so blotchy.

Are those lights in the cluster cool white? I'm thinking about going with the 9 led for extra brightness...

Did you get the clock light too? Any pics of that? I want them to match.

Anybody have pics of the warm white bulbs?
Old 02-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #10
DFWZenki
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_240 View Post
^Nice. Wish I had the digital climate control. Did you replace those bulbs as well?

Are those lights in the cluster cool white? I'm thinking about going with the 9 led for extra brightness...

Did you get the clock light too? Any pics of that? I want them to match.

Anybody have pics of the warm white bulbs?
I replaced all interior bulbs with white LEDs. Climate control, Defog, Dimmer, Cruise Control. Everything. Clock Bulb is factory clear bulb. The LEDs i used in the cluster only had one option for white- they just listed as "white". (not being a smart ass, im serious).

The Warm White LEDs are pretty close to a factory "clear" bulb (not amber). I used the "Warm White" LED in my Dome light and its almost the same color as the "Clear factory Indondecent" bulb. (factory dome light is a 3175 bulb and i think the Clock light bulb is a 74. Have to double check on that).

By the way, the 9 LED bulbs will not fit in the Cluster housing. They are too long. Found that out the hard way. The ones i used are the 5 LED version and they are plenty bright and the right length. (they are on the brightest setting in the pic i posted).
Old 02-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #11
NINJASPY
Zilvia FREAK!

Its fine you don't like the amber thing.
Blue is the worst color for night vision.
White, well... look at that white... its TOO bright imo. It even washed out the color of the needles. I don't like the idea of a flashlight shining at my face at night.

Amber/red is the best color to preserve night vision, I don't want to look at my cluster only to look up and I can't see shit because my night vision got fucked because my bright ass blue/white lights blinded me.

Look at his "before" picture, notice how the blue head unit is producing a lot of glare/over-exposure/ouchies?

There is a reason why most companies only use amber or white. Look at bmw, almost everything is amber. Gauge cluster has amber/white.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:34 PM   #12
Ceepo
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
Ceepo will become famous soon enoughCeepo will become famous soon enoughCeepo will become famous soon enoughCeepo will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I have the bulbs in the above pictures(post #4) and i love them no hot spots or anything... got them from superbrightleds.com or something, but as stated above make sure to use the 5 led ones, they work plenty fine mine are very bright... im going to do my a/c controls ect soon...
Ceepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #13
rebornS14
Zilvia FREAK!

rebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of light
i need a/c control bulbs but they're tiny and i dont see replacements anywhere. LMK when you find some, i wants.

how manu wedge bulbs do i need to buy for the cluster and is there one for the clock i can buy or did that not have one?
Old 02-15-2010, 10:15 AM   #14
DFWZenki
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebornS14 View Post
i need a/c control bulbs but they're tiny and i dont see replacements anywhere. LMK when you find some, i wants.

how manu wedge bulbs do i need to buy for the cluster and is there one for the clock i can buy or did that not have one?
You can buy replacement bulbs for your interior lights(climate control,dimmer, and cruise buttons) at Radio Shack. Part #
LED bulbs, #272-1092 at Radioshack

Quote:
from this pic, where can i get the one on the bottom right so i can use it to replace the dead bulbs in my a/c and hazard, and defroster button.
I bought them from SuperBrightLEDs.com. Its under the "Component LEDs" section. They are 3mm White LED bulbs. You have to run resistors with them. I bought my resistors at Radio Shack, 5 pack for 99 cents! Here is a link i like to use to figure out what resistors you need with what LEDs: LED calculator for single LEDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJASPY View Post
Its fine you don't like the amber thing.
Blue is the worst color for night vision.
White, well... look at that white... its TOO bright imo. It even washed out the color of the needles. I don't like the idea of a flashlight shining at my face at night.

Amber/red is the best color to preserve night vision, I don't want to look at my cluster only to look up and I can't see shit because my night vision got fucked because my bright ass blue/white lights blinded me.

Look at his "before" picture, notice how the blue head unit is producing a lot of glare/over-exposure/ouchies?

There is a reason why most companies only use amber or white. Look at bmw, almost everything is amber. Gauge cluster has amber/white.
The pic was taken with a Camera Phone. Also, the lights were turned all the way up to the brightest setting.
They are not that dramatic in person. You can also dim them if you think they are too bright but they are not that bad.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
afiser
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
afiser is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
I bought them from SuperBrightLEDs.com. Its under the "Component LEDs" section. They are 3mm White LED bulbs. You have to run resistors with them. I bought my resistors at Radio Shack, 5 pack for 99 cents! Here is a link i like to use to figure out what resistors you need with what LEDs: LED calculator for single LEDs.

how did you go about wiring up the resistor with yours?
afiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #16
Ceepo
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
Ceepo will become famous soon enoughCeepo will become famous soon enoughCeepo will become famous soon enoughCeepo will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I never did the clock but the whole cluster is 3 bulbs
Ceepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:43 PM   #17
rebornS14
Zilvia FREAK!

ok thanks, in knew it was more than 2 but wasnt sure if it was 3 or 4.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:51 PM   #18
stinky_180
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
stinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to stinky_180
^. radioshack
Old 02-15-2010, 02:25 AM   #19
az_240
Post Whore!

http://www.LEDDomeLight.com
Anyone use this dome light or know of any others like it? I found a few but they all look too blue to me... I'm looking for more of a warm incandescant white for the dome light similar to stock just much brighter.

I just placed an order for those 5 LED cluster bulbs in white along with some more LEDs for my climate control. Even got a white clock bulb #74... im just hoping it will match the cluster bulbs.

Thanks for the info DFWZenki

Quote:
He got them from superbrightleds.com
Old 02-15-2010, 10:29 AM   #20
enkei2k
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (29)
enkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_240 View Post
http://www.LEDDomeLight.com
Anyone use this dome light or know of any others like it?
i have those installed. i will upload pics later tonight. they look decent. need to polish the plastic cover (with plast-x or whatever)for best results

xquizitditz
enkei2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #21
omgRWDgoodness!
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (48)
omgRWDgoodness! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
I need to replace my gauge cluster bulbs and two of the single 5mm LEDs I used for my climate controls to 3mm. Here's what my gauge cluster looked like before all the bulbs burned out (within a rather short period of time, too):

Sorry for the huge-ass picture. All bulbs & LEDs were purchased from www.DiodeDynamics.com. That SuperBrightLEDs site looks like they sell good stuff, I think I might try those next.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:39 AM   #22
importdude
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
importdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to importdude
if u want white u have 2 remove the film

i sell dome lights pm me

built ka-t
importdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #23
az_240
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by importdude View Post
if u want white u have 2 remove the film
I remember I tried removing the film once and it was not coming off... its like it's painted on or something.

PMed you about the dome light.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #24
mattro
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
mattro is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
this is what i did why settle for just one color? im doing the same to my gauges as well, ultra light 2's

bought these bulbs from the local autozone ^_^

YouTube - s13 led gauge cluster
Old 02-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #25
stinky_180
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
stinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud ofstinky_180 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to stinky_180
wire it up in series with the led
Old 02-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #26
omgRWDgoodness!
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (48)
omgRWDgoodness! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Make sure you solder the resistor inline with the POSITIVE (longer) end, or anode, to hook it up to standard 12v power.

Also, don't bother trying to get the film off the back of the gauge faces. I tried doing that by sanding the film off and only did the tachometer before I gave up because 1) the speedometer needle wasn't coming off, and 2) it doesn't make much of a difference. The light shines through only marginally brighter. Save yourself the time & effort, and the fact that it's damn near impossible to get your tach needle back on accurately so it reads the exact RPM.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:31 PM   #27
DFWZenki
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgRWDgoodness! View Post
Make sure you solder the resistor inline with the POSITIVE (longer) end, or anode, to hook it up to standard 12v power.

Also, don't bother trying to get the film off the back of the gauge faces. I tried doing that by sanding the film off and only did the tachometer before I gave up because 1) the speedometer needle wasn't coming off, and 2) it doesn't make much of a difference. The light shines through only marginally brighter. Save yourself the time & effort, and the fact that it's damn near impossible to get your tach needle back on accurately so it reads the exact RPM.
That sucks. I was about to try it myself but i was hoping it would be easier. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiser View Post
how did you go about wiring up the resistor with yours?
About the resistor wiring. Let me try to make this simple.

You have a Positive lead (wires coming off the LED bulb) and a Negative Lead.
1)The Proper Resistor is placed between your power source and the Positive Lead on the LED bulb.
2)The Negative Lead is connected to your Negative connection (opposite post from resistor).
3)If no resistor is used they will burn out very quickly.

4)Below are some rough examples of LEDs with resistors. You should always solder your connections for the best results.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:35 PM   #28
enkei2k
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (29)
enkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
pics of the luxer1 lights (www.leddomelight.com) as requested:

stock with flash

LED with flash

stock with no flash

LED with no flash

the rears look the same, but the LED bulbs look more visible when off.

just for fun:
cluster from LED's from www.superbrightleds.com (WLED-x5 LED Wide Angle LED bulb)

i don't like the hotspots...but i don't care how many KPH i go anyway lol

xquizitditz
enkei2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:05 PM   #29
afiser
Leaky Injector

Quote:
That sucks. I was about to try it myself but i was hoping it would be easier. Thanks for the info.

About the resistor wiring. Let me try to make this simple.

You have a Positive lead (wires coming off the LED bulb) and a Negative Lead.
1)The Proper Resistor is placed between your power source and the Positive Lead on the LED bulb.
2)The Negative Lead is connected to your Negative connection (opposite post from resistor).
3)If no resistor is used they will burn out very quickly.

4)Below are some rough examples of LEDs with resistors. You should always solder your connections for the best results.
THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE PICS!

exactly what i wanted. thanks again.

one question tho, it seems so simple that im not sure about it. could you put the resistor on the 12v wiring going TO the button out side of the actual button? i know the fsm shows which wires are positive and which ones are negative going to the button. im just not 100% sure.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #30
afiser
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiser View Post

one question tho, it seems so simple that im not sure about it. could you put the resistor on the 12v wiring going TO the button out side of the actual button? i know the fsm shows which wires are positive and which ones are negative going to the button. im just not 100% sure.
to follow up on this post

i put resistors on the illumination wire going to the buttons i changed to led's instead of putting it on the bulb and it seems to work totally fine. just put the resistor on the red with blue strip wire (12v illumination) that goes to the button and thats it. i put led's in my power window button (which was a bitch had to use hot glue to keep the led in place and still have power) and the defrost button and both buttons still function perfectly.