Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:04 AM   #1
Garage Skidz

Trader Rating: (0)
Garage Skidz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR ACL/Orbit sr20det oil pump quality

So im rebuilding my sr and bought a ACL/Orbit oil pump due to it being cheaper/ higher flowing (maybe?), but before i put it in i wanted to see if anyone else has tried these and what their feedback is on them. will i be better of going OEM or is this ok. Seeing as the oil pump is the most critical part of the engine i need to make sure before i install it.
Garage Skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2017, 10:05 AM   #2
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Hello,

So the ACL pumps for SR's are not an "upgraded" pump, they are a simply an OEM replacement so do not go in expecting them to flow like a VE oil pump or anything like that.

In order for an SR oil pump to flow more oil efficiently you would need to increase the thickness of the gears themselves which isn't possible due to the SR oil pump being integrated into the timing cover. Making the gears thicker would require making the cover bigger and also require machining of the crank pulley and the addition of a spacer to correct the offset so that the belts line up. This is common practice with the VE oil pump but that pump requires even more modifications to work.

Now to get back on track, the ACL pumps are a great OEM replacement and I've never had an issue with one. I've used them in 100's of customer's SR builds and have used them extensively on other engines such as B-series, EJ's, and 4G63's with great success.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:26 AM   #3
Garage Skidz

thanks man, appreciate the reassurance. i just get worried cause of all the time and money that goes into a build like this.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:35 PM   #4
mike240s
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
mike240s is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
so im at the same point in my build now and i was wondering what kind of hp goals your going for.

sorry for bringing this thread back to life
mike240s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:57 AM   #5
Garage Skidz

im shooting for 350 to 400. Jwt s3 cams, 2871r .64ar, and an enthalpy tune. on an s14 notchtop sr.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:57 AM   #6
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I don't really see how horsepower has a directly related effect on oil pump performance, up to the point of needing a dry sump.
Run an OEM pump if you can IMO.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:07 AM   #7
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
I don't really see how horsepower has a directly related effect on oil pump performance, up to the point of needing a dry sump.
Run an OEM pump if you can IMO.
At a certain point you start to not trust cast gears and a sleeve drive. The dry sump is piece of mind as well as great consistent performance.

Like I said in another post I've used the OEM/ACL pumps on builds up to 1,000HP on the SR but at that point most of those builds would be better off with a dry sump for their applications.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:11 PM   #8
mike240s
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
mike240s is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
has anyone had experience with the p2m pumps?
mike240s is offline   Reply With Quote