Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-06-2015, 07:07 AM   #1
Cloud_Strife
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Cloud_Strife is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking for a good entry level coil over

Can anyone recommend any good entry line coils that are affordable for the 240?
Cloud_Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2015, 08:44 AM   #2
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
good, cheap.
chose one.

The less expensive coilover i found that does its job at making the car handle is the fortune auto 500. You can get them for around 1200$ excluding shipping, which is quite cheaper than i bought them last year.

If you just want the look and don't care about handling, pick any 300$ coilover, it won't matter much.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:57 AM   #3
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Fortune Auto 500's. Hands down the best performing entry level coilover and very affordable.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:07 AM   #4
Cloud_Strife
Zilvia Member

Interesting, I've never heard of them. My main concern is that the previous owner had stock suspension with BIGGER coils. So the car looks like a rally car, it's ridiculous. I'm really just planning on it being a DD for now, and I think ebays will handle just as well if not better than now.. I would just get springs but I'm sure the stock struts are completely blown.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:22 AM   #5
Cloud_Strife
Zilvia Member

I was thinking of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOKICO-HP-BL...ab9279&vxp=mtr

(especially if I can get away with 300 for an offer)

Or these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/89-90-91-92-...62c65c&vxp=mtr

What do you guys think? Are these just bolt on? Don't have a compressor so can't mess with that..
Old 01-06-2015, 09:29 AM   #6
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Friend of mone has tein mono flex. Since he tried my car with FA500s, he wants to sell them to get FAs

Before buying FAs, you need to fill a form with your intended use and current car setup. They will advise on the spring stiffness and offer different hydraulics depending on usage (street, trackdays, track only, drag). And although they still use an entry level hydraulic system, they maanged to make a digressive valving out of it (meaning they handle both high speed and low speed bumps correctly). The bump/rebound ratio is also set properly. It is in no way superior to a KW V3 or penske 3way coilovers, but that is not the same price either.

Usual low price coilovers have a bad bump/rebound ratio, meaning you can set only 1 correctly ... so the car will either tramline on perfect road and break your spine everywhere else, or will break your spine slightly less on not so perfect road and be all over the road when the suspension moves. Buy cheap buy twice. I did, then i spend 1500€ on FA500s.

A cheaper good handling solution is this : for around 800$ you can get swift springs (which are the best spring makers ever, period) and kyb agx struts all round. that setup will beat any sub 1200$ coilover both in handling and comfort hands down.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:33 AM   #7
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
You're in portland. If you need a suspension tutorial there is a group of us that have dinner every thurs night in tualatin. Happy to hold your hand and walk you through building a 240.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:36 AM   #8
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud_Strife View Post
I was thinking of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOKICO-HP-BL...ab9279&vxp=mtr

(especially if I can get away with 300 for an offer)

Or these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/89-90-91-92-...62c65c&vxp=mtr

What do you guys think? Are these just bolt on? Don't have a compressor so can't mess with that..
I would not buy second hand hydraulics, but that is a just me.

Both are oem replacement. The GR2 is meant to be a bit harder but is supposed to be used with oem springs, it wont take abuse without blowing.

It depends on what you want to do with the car. I'd take the cheapest of the 2 for a daily without abuse. For anything performance oriented i'd stay away.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #9
Ilya
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Ilya is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The suspension you have now is better than any sub $1200 of the shelf coilover you can buy. Yes your car is high and sways when you turn, but a shitty coilover handles even worse. Plus any girl you drive in your car more than once on your "Entry Level" coilover will decide that she wants to drive her self or she will pick YOU up, ask me how I know.
Ilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:26 PM   #10
Wheel Lounge
Leaky Injector

Wheel Lounge is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Wheel Lounge
BC Coils hands down! IMO The best option.
Wheel Lounge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:32 PM   #11
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
He's asking for entry level stuff lol. Hell if he wants the good shit i'd recommend DG-5/GPSports myself. I love mine.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:39 PM   #12
e1_griego
Post Whore!

e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
There is a local guy that has a set of fortunes he'll be selling here in a bit.

Come out Thursday and meet some folks.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:54 PM   #13
Cloud_Strife
Zilvia Member

You guys aren't like the EVO guys in Initial D are you?
Old 01-06-2015, 12:57 PM   #14
e1_griego
Post Whore!

As long as you're not like every other local drift shit head.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:57 PM   #15
pancakes
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
pancakes is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
You're in portland. If you need a suspension tutorial there is a group of us that have dinner every thurs night in tualatin. Happy to hold your hand and walk you through building a 240.
OP, jump on this opportunity

WTB s14 abs 5 speed drive shaft and vlsd
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #16
Cloud_Strife
Zilvia Member

He sounds fun enough to not handle a joke.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #17
e1_griego
Post Whore!

lol ok.

Well PM me if you want the details.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:15 PM   #18
Cloud_Strife
Zilvia Member

Here ya go griego:

http://youtu.be/-aRVPo-sAUc
Look forward to showing up awkwardly sometime
Old 01-06-2015, 01:16 PM   #19
e1_griego
Post Whore!

I've seen all of Initial D a few times, c'mon now

Used to be mandatory viewing to be involved with 240s. Most everyone now hasn't seen it, it seems like.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:18 PM   #20
Cloud_Strife
Zilvia Member

The funny part is me and my old buddy used to watch them and get drunk after working on either of our cars. Car work and drinking= I don't even remember the 180sx or 240 intro.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #21
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Really though, cheap and good are mutually exclusive when it comes to suspension.

A set of koni yellows and some coilover sleeves is prob the most cost effective. Or a set of AGX and lowering springs.

If you want to spend more than that, then a custom solution is almost always going to be better than what you can buy off the shelf.

Fortunately you live in the right area to make this sort of stuff happen
Old 01-06-2015, 04:32 PM   #22
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just bring the fava beans!
Old 01-06-2015, 09:25 PM   #23
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I used to run Tokiko blues with h & r springs really nice an super cheap I currently have powered by Max an I got the expensive ones for 1300...they also have set for 1000...rides super smooth! Also nice and grippy with setup!
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:52 AM   #24
angel mkiv
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
angel mkiv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Gtr garage is local and they carry the dmax coilovers which were about 800$ I beleive..not 100% sure but better then most at that price
Old 01-07-2015, 01:19 AM   #25
nick Ritter
Leaky Injector

nick Ritter is an unknown quantity at this point
are the fortune autos really that good ? I've never even heard of them up until a month ago...
nick Ritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:26 AM   #26
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Best of the rest.

A koni yellow/coilover sleeve combo will out-do all the <$1300 coilovers, but it takes some effort to put together, and you can't get them in whatever your favorite color is.

If you're buying your first set of coilovers and/or just drifting, they're probably fine.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:07 AM   #27
AJZax
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
AJZax is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
fortune auto 500 series.

HANDS DOWN the best bang for buck.

They are outstanding.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:35 AM   #28
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick Ritter View Post
are the fortune autos really that good ? I've never even heard of them up until a month ago...
IMHO this is caused by these coilies positionning.

The FA500s are way better stuff than the usual crap people buy, but still not good enough for serious racers that require 3 way coilies.

Zilvians are better known for slammed cars and the cheapest stuff you could buy than making reliable, powerful gripping cars. Most cars here have suspensions that wont move because they use PU bushes that are binded hard, uncorrected suspension geometry with tons of bump steer and toe steer, and cheap coilovers with blocked hydraulics or ultra hard crappy springs. Put functionnal coilovers and the car will be all over the road instead of just being very twitchy.

Even then, FA 500s are too expensive for them (even with the current cut down in price).

But if you head down to some serious racing forums, you will hear about penske, moton, nitron, koni inserts in coilover sleeves, kw v3 and so on. Simply put, these ARE better than FA500s. And they should, because they are at least twice as expensive.

My opinion is the FA500s are "stuck" in the place where someone would want a finely working suspension that can handle day to day driving and trackday performance, without the usual wear rate of race items (nor their performance, again).

To my knowledge, the FA500s are the cheapest WORKING suspension available on the market, and they are actually pretty good. They already were when the price tag was around 1500$. I recall they also offer a 5year warranty, complete parts availability, with possible upgrades (better hydraulics, swift springs, bearing mounts, additionnal testing ...). That kind of service usually comes with a higher price tag.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:16 AM   #29
bmaddock
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
bmaddock is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel Lounge View Post
BC Coils hands down! IMO The best option.
+1 for an entry level coilover. Ive had BC Racing BR coilovers for some time now and really enjoy them. I actually live right next to Fortune Auto so i can attest to them being a good coilover and awesome customer service as well, but at the time i couldnt stretch the $400 more dollars for FA when i got a hook up with the guys at BC and got them shipped to me for $800.

GL buying, i had no clue Zilvia loved Fortune so much. They totally deserve it, just cool to see a 'local' brand get big.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:38 AM   #30
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Being that fortune have a pretty big presence in the Time Attack scene, I think they know how to make a functional coilover as well...

Last edited by TheRealSy90; 01-07-2015 at 08:23 AM..