Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-03-2008, 12:55 AM   #1
nieko
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
nieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Adjusting idle

ok so ive been having idling problems and running rich lately and i tried a bunch of things but could not fix it. so i decided to take my throttle body from my old car and clean it out real good and slap it back on my new car. everything seems to work but the problem is. i took the little accelerator drum stopper screw out of my old throttle body. so the question is

Do i adjust my idle with the iacv and TPS unplugged and do it with the accelerator wire first?

then the iacv?

then the TPS?

please help you guys... thanks
nieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2008, 12:58 AM   #2
xsparc
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
xsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xsparc Send a message via Yahoo to xsparc
first adjust your throttle plate screw, then your cable, then the TPS, then i iacv
Old 07-03-2008, 01:46 AM   #3
nieko
Post Whore!

nieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfection
ok, anyone else clarify this? i just want to make sure thanks..

oh and how do u adjust the screw first?

should i unplug iacv and tps while doing this?

should the motor be at 750 before the tps and iacv?

ahh sorry, thanks
Old 07-03-2008, 01:52 AM   #4
xsparc
Zilvia Junkie

xsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to beholdxsparc is a splendid one to behold
the screw should be about half way, just make sure the plate is a hair off fully closed. you can do this with the car off.

the tps neds to be at like .45 volts closed and over 4.55 volts fully open. you need the car on for this, but not running.

timing needs to be at 15 before you do the iacv to set idle at 750
Old 07-03-2008, 12:16 PM   #5
nieko
Post Whore!

its werid because ever since i messed with it, i cant get the TPS to get to the right voltage... pissing me off and running not so well...
Old 07-03-2008, 12:23 PM   #6
xsparc
Zilvia Junkie

cant get it low or high enough?
Old 07-03-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
SoguRacing
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
SoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SoguRacing
ok, to set the idle, unplug the tps sensor, adjust the throttle body screw-loosen it so that the throttle plate is completely shut then tighten the screw so that it "just" touches the throttle plate lever..then tighten the screw "one" and only "one" full turn. no more!! then plug in the tps sensor and adjust the iacv to your desire. have fun!!
Old 07-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
nieko
Post Whore!

cant get it high enough... lol (voltage)
Old 07-03-2008, 03:29 PM   #9
nieko
Post Whore!

xsparc come in lol
Old 07-04-2008, 02:25 AM   #10
nieko
Post Whore!

alright so... i did the steps sogu said but the idle was still pretty high so i loosened the throttle body nut a little bit

and got it to 750 rpms and it idled like a champ nice and steady. then i pull out of my driveway and wait a second in

neutral and my idle slowly went up to 1800 rpms and stayed for awhile then slowly went back down. and i would

drive it and it would seem pretty good i guess and id stop at a light and it would idle solid 750. then the next like it

would slowy go up to 1800 again and stay there and it just keeps doing that crap.... im guessing something to do

with TPS? damn idk but this shit is getting annoying lol... oh also i am still running a rich and when i stand in front of

the engine bay and i tap the throttle, when the rpms go down is sounds like its backfiring in the back of the valve c

cover, or misfiring or something. its really weird. timing is set also. please help...
Old 07-04-2008, 02:30 AM   #11
nieko
Post Whore!

edit: tps is at the right voltage now also
Old 07-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #12
SoguRacing
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
SoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfectionSoguRacing is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SoguRacing
i'm not sure what it could be. maybe try setting your tps voltage to 4.5 volts ( on the lower range) and make sure your iac valve is pretty much closed. you dont want it open too much because the ecu can adjust that via current to the iac motor.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #13
littlekids13

littlekids13 is an unknown quantity at this point
try cleaning the iacv with carb cleaner worked for my fucked up idle it doesnt drop or go up anymore
littlekids13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #14
nieko
Post Whore!

ya i already cleaned it out dude... alright il try that but i think the screw is almost all the way in =X
Old 07-04-2008, 02:24 PM   #15
nieko
Post Whore!

update...... loosened stop screw on throttle body a little more and got my idle back at 750. tried adjusting tps, i could only get .20 volts before it turned on(off?) and my rpms shot up... i know its supposed to be .45 but... is this ok? it seems to be running a little rich but my idle problem is fixed. damn this motor... lol