Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-22-2014, 12:57 PM   #1
240sxfan6882
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
240sxfan6882 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
n00b Q: Will running different offset wheels affect handling?

I tried just about every word combo on google to find the answer that i'm looking for, but nothing comes up! All I get is running different sized rubber out back and it affecting handling.

Say I run +20 offset in the front, and I run +5 offset in the rear... will this affect handling the same way as say running a 225 tire up front, and a 265 tire out back?
Will it under-steer?

Thanks fellas!
Old 10-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
tayloray
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tayloray has a spectacular aura abouttayloray has a spectacular aura abouttayloray has a spectacular aura abouttayloray has a spectacular aura abouttayloray has a spectacular aura abouttayloray has a spectacular aura abouttayloray has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
http://www.rapid-racer.com/tyres-and-wheels.php

Offset is towards the bottom.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayloray View Post
That link does not help in the least bit with the OP's question..........

The OP is not asking what offset is, but asking how it affects handling.

Suscribed because I am curious as well!
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #4
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
I think if there is an extreme difference it could cause imbalance, oversteer maybe. when I tried to drift my old s14 with much bigger and more agressive rears it would understeer a lot.. and when I would run smaller rears it would drive much better. I think that's why most Fd cars are running setups that have stupid looking agressive front wheels. for better handling.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
tayloray
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tayloray has a spectacular aura abouttayloray has a spectacular aura abouttayloray has a spectacular aura abouttayloray has a spectacular aura abouttayloray has a spectacular aura abouttayloray has a spectacular aura abouttayloray has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeS14 View Post
I think if there is an extreme difference it could cause imbalance, oversteer maybe. when I tried to drift my old s14 with much bigger and more agressive rears it would understeer a lot.. and when I would run smaller rears it would drive much better. I think that's why most Fd cars are running setups that have stupid looking agressive front wheels. for better handling.
FD cars run those because of the angle modifications. Those require a very low offset wheel that allows more clearance before it rubs because they have more lock than they can handle.

Most fd drivers run something like a 255 front tire with a much larger 285 or 295 rear tire. Their cars naturally understeer like crazy. Chelsea told me that steering does virtually nothing in drift due to the fact that the rear has so much more grip, some drivers run different setups. I believe JR uses a square 305 setup. but I digress.

Offset should not effect the corning anywhere near as much as tire size.

Chelsea " in the rear lower offset wheel, less side bite. higher offset more side bite"

Essentially it's two entirely different things. Suspension mechanical grip, and tire grip.

I think it would just be more about stability. for drifting you generally want a wider front track for more stability with a narrower rear track for more side bite. If you had a narrower front track the car would be rolling over on itself to gain traction.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:10 PM   #6
GabeS14
Post Whore!

GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayloray View Post
Offset should not effect the corning anywhere near as much as tire size.
Sorry yes I meant in my car where my rears were much larger along with being more agressive, so I naturally had much larger tires in the rear.

But I still wonder how offset can affect handling because it changes the position(how spaced out the front versus the rear)
Old 10-22-2014, 04:49 PM   #7
!Zar!
Post Whore!

!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Short answer yes.

It will change your scrub radius.

You will also notice an increase in tram-lining.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:48 PM   #8
nolandavid
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (11)
nolandavid is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to nolandavid
Are your lca extended at all? Sound like the ass end is way wider then your front, that alone would cause under steer.
nolandavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:22 AM   #9
240sxfan6882
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
240sxfan6882 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolandavid View Post
Are your lca extended at all? Sound like the ass end is way wider then your front, that alone would cause under steer.
Thank you all for the input!

My LCA is not extended and I considered running a 10mm spacer out back to fill up the fender gap better, but I might just be able to get away with 0 camber and have my 18x9.5 fill the wells that way.

Thanks again