Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-07-2004, 07:13 PM   #1
srboost240

Trader Rating: (0)
srboost240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR charcoal canister removal

I want to remove my charcoal canister from my redtop sr to clean up the engine bay. I don't even think it's hooked up properly because one line that goes to the intake manifold is too big for the nipple and I usually see it not on there. I just want to know if people who have removed their charcoal canister have used vacuum plugs without them shooting off or deteriorating from the gas vapors. Also have you noticed anything different with the performance of your engine (fuel mileage, stronger gas smell, or opening your gas cap and it's highly pressurized). Just weighing out the pros and cons and thinking of the best way to do it. Also smog check and visible inspection are not issues here so don't bring that up. Thanks
srboost240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2008, 02:13 PM   #2
s15specR
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
s15specR is making a name for him/her selfs15specR is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
I have the same question however my line goes from the canister to a solenoid then to the manifold, if I remove this whole setup would I get a CEL light ? and what do I do with the line coming from the tank, just plug it, same concerns regarding performance etc.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #3
mjjstang
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
mjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mjjstang
I have used the plugs. For 2 years it was fine. very rarely driven however. But recently it popped off AND IDLED MORE CONSISTENT!!!!. at any rate I put a tighter one on. No deterioration that I have noticed. I guess if you have a couple nipples same size you could route one to the other with vac line that may hold better. Basically equalizing the pressure.

As far as your question on driving different, mileage, etc. my only response is every time I drive the car it responds differently so I do not have data for you.

OOOO I just reread, I have a sick amount of pressure in the gas tank however. I could search, but what do you other people recommend for that? Is it a bad cap?

And yes just plug the line from the tank. plug it and........forget it
Old 07-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
g6civcx
Post Whore!

g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by srboost240 View Post
I want to remove my charcoal canister from my redtop sr to clean up the engine bay. I don't even think it's hooked up properly because one line that goes to the intake manifold is too big for the nipple and I usually see it not on there. I just want to know if people who have removed their charcoal canister have used vacuum plugs without them shooting off or deteriorating from the gas vapors. Also have you noticed anything different with the performance of your engine (fuel mileage, stronger gas smell, or opening your gas cap and it's highly pressurized). Just weighing out the pros and cons and thinking of the best way to do it. Also smog check and visible inspection are not issues here so don't bring that up. Thanks
Search "charcoal canister" in this forum first and I'll answer any questions you have left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjjstang View Post
And yes just plug the line from the tank. plug it and........forget it
You better edit your post before Russ sees this. All gas tanks need to be vented, either into an emissions controlled component or into the atmosphere. Never ever plug a gas tank vent line unless you want trouble.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #5
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Bingo. The purge line from the tank can be removed from under the hood, it runs across to the firewall down to the frame rail, near the clutch slave, and goes into a section of hose before connecting to another hardline. Remove the underhood line and the hose, but leave the hardline under the car open and vented. While it's rare to have pressure on that, capping it will ensure excess pressure buildup and blow off, which could lead to a fire.

As for the vacuum lines going to the intake piping/TB, cap as needed with vacuum caps or bolts sealed with RTV, or crimp the line flat and fold once.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:05 PM   #6
g6civcx
Post Whore!

g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Too late. The Iceman cometh
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:13 PM   #7
mjjstang
Post Whore!

mjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to mjjstang
haha o well so much for listening to noobs. My error. I read how to do it on zilvia though. With time comes knowledge.