Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Need advice from a real fabricator

So I had another thread not too long ago about my roof, it's skin is trashed beyond PDR. I'm opting to go with the carbon roof and seam it in myself. My question is about roof braceing. I'm not going to cage the car as it is a street car. I was curious however if I could weld in 1/8 inch steel bar reinforcements on each side of the roof to help with the lack of a steel roof. Would this be an appropriate solution to strengthen the roof? Pretty much everything I see is just to cage the car or replace the whole roof. Replacing the roof would be difficult as I haven't seen a totaled shell with a clean roof to cut out from, nor am I experienced in removing glass. The carbon option is something id like, I just want to protect my head too. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2017, 04:36 AM   #2
gaz_moose
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
gaz_moose is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
would you not just remove the roof skin and leave the strengthener still in place?
in reality a 1/8th bit of flat bar is going to offer fuck all strength. id be cautious about adding bits of random steel inside the cabin as if you do have a crash and they bend/brake they are going to interact with you.

could you not just bond your new roof skin over the top of your dented roof. that way you still have the original safety devices.
gaz_moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:25 AM   #3
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz_moose View Post
would you not just remove the roof skin and leave the strengthener still in place?
in reality a 1/8th bit of flat bar is going to offer fuck all strength. id be cautious about adding bits of random steel inside the cabin as if you do have a crash and they bend/brake they are going to interact with you.

could you not just bond your new roof skin over the top of your dented roof. that way you still have the original safety devices.
I get what you're saying. My only thing is idk if I'd be able to get the carbon skin to sit flush that way. I'd have to hammer the whole roof downwards while not bending where it meets the a-pillar. I would fear since the whole thing is still there, as I hammer in it will pull at all sides of the roof and possibly distorting the pillars too. This guy got his lines super clean but cut out the roof and left a lip. I just wasn't sure if I could put reinforcements in between the roof and where the headliner meets as there's a decent space in there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote