Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:20 PM   #1
BFever

Trader Rating: (0)
BFever is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s14 Brake booster/master cylinder issue

Yesterday I did a boost, and vacuum test on my 97 with a s13 sr swap and found that I'm leak air somewhere maybe between the booster and master cylinder. I have been doing some researching and found that normally when this happens it's the booster that's bad. I have been noticing that my brake pedal feel has been iffy since I got the car, but just never put the two idea together. I'm just curious if there is something I'm missing or someone with better knowledge with the issue could help me with. If it helps the car was originally auto so it has the larger brake booster.

Also to be noted I could my vacuum line running to the booster does not have the check valve installed so I'm curious if that could also be part of the issue.

Thanks in advance
Ben
BFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2018, 12:38 PM   #2
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Yeah you definitely need a check valve in there. Get that on then go from there
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:25 PM   #3
dbeiler
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Brake boosters do fail occasionally. My dual diaphragm S14 booster failed several months ago. It started running lean and adding fuel to the trims whenever I stepped on the brake pedal. Eventually it failed to the point where I lost all power brake assist and the engine would stall out when I hit the brake pedal.

You should definitely install the check valve in the booster line. It's intended to keep a small safety supply of vacuum in the booster in the event of an engine stallout. It will also keep positive boost pressure from entering the booster.

Here's what happened to my booster. The rubber diaphragm tore and created a huge air leak.
dbeiler is offline   Reply With Quote