Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:47 AM   #1
Cnet15
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Cnet15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S14 vlsd to kaaz diff swap problem

I recently finished installing a kaaz 1.5 way diff in my s14 vlsd pumpkin (before anyone says kaaz doesn't offer a diff for s14 vlsd http://www.enjukuracing.com/products...-s14-vlsd.html they do) and I'm having a serious issue figuring out where I went wrong in the install.

So after finishing the install I go to back out of the garage and this the noise I'm greeted with this noise https://youtu.be/a_p8pHPuZhk and the car didn't go anywhere.

So I lifted the car back up to take a look and this is what I see https://youtu.be/NvTvToi1whw

Here's an image album of all the install pictures that I took during the swap. https://imgur.com/gallery/SaQRF

I popped the output shafts back out and the noise went away along with the wobbling. It almost seems as if the output shafts where two small. The spline count seems right as the shafts did slid in. They just didn't feel like they fit snug. I also noticed that if I tweaked an output shaft slightly it seemed like the splines gripped and it suddenly spins smooth. I've heard that the output shafts are a weak point on our rear end but I'd find it hard to believe that both of myoutput shafts both went bad at the exact same time that I swap in a new diff.

If anyone has an idea where I went wrong the help would be greatly appreciated.
Cnet15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2016, 06:53 PM   #2
andrewxxcarlson

andrewxxcarlson is an unknown quantity at this point
sub'd for knowledge
andrewxxcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:22 PM   #3
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Out of the car when you spun the snout could you see the diff turn?
Old 10-02-2016, 10:51 AM   #4
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
I'm looking at this thinking it looks like a bearing issue, but the bearing would be about mid shaft and that shaft is wobbling on a fixed point.

It definitely looks like the shafts need to be swapped out due to compatibility.

I can't really tell from the pictures but the shafts don't physically look bad.
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:34 PM   #5
Cnet15
Leaky Injector

Cnet15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti tyler View Post
I'm looking at this thinking it looks like a bearing issue, but the bearing would be about mid shaft and that shaft is wobbling on a fixed point.

It definitely looks like the shafts need to be swapped out due to compatibility.

I can't really tell from the pictures but the shafts don't physically look bad.
I got in touch with kaaz and gave them the same pictures and videos I posted here. They told me that the diff that was sent to me was a 30 spline diff for late model s14s and that my 95 was a 29 spline. They told me I would need to contact enjuku who I bought the diff through to discuss either swapping out the diff or sourcing me some 30 spline output shafts. I wasn't aware of the late model s14s being 30 spline and enjuku didn't offer the ability to select between 95/6 and 97/8, nor did they mention that the diff they sold only came in 30 spline so I never thought to count the splines to make sure they were compatible.
Cnet15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:07 PM   #6
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnet15 View Post
I got in touch with kaaz and gave them the same pictures and videos I posted here. They told me that the diff that was sent to me was a 30 spline diff for late model s14s and that my 95 was a 29 spline. They told me I would need to contact enjuku who I bought the diff through to discuss either swapping out the diff or sourcing me some 30 spline output shafts. I wasn't aware of the late model s14s being 30 spline and enjuku didn't offer the ability to select between 95/6 and 97/8, nor did they mention that the diff they sold only came in 30 spline so I never thought to count the splines to make sure they were compatible.
Exactly, better now then after a crash. Check all avenues when dumping that pretty penny into parts.
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote