Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:11 PM   #61
alexchanman
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
alexchanman is making a name for him/her selfalexchanman is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to alexchanman
wow that looks amazing. specs on it?
alexchanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2006, 06:29 PM   #62
NRS13

NRS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've been looking into these engines for awhile and I'm curious if, when swapping one into an 89-90 240 if you have to make any alterations to the air conditioning lines or any of that like is necessary when putting an sr20 in a zenki s13. Basically, I would like to know: when you drop in the CA, how many alterations need to be done other than the ECU stuff in order to have it working well(with AC, Power steering, etc.)? Thanks
NRS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:56 PM   #63
boosteds13
Zilvia Addict

boosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRS13
I've been looking into these engines for awhile and I'm curious if, when swapping one into an 89-90 240 if you have to make any alterations to the air conditioning lines or any of that like is necessary when putting an sr20 in a zenki s13. Basically, I would like to know: when you drop in the CA, how many alterations need to be done other than the ECU stuff in order to have it working well(with AC, Power steering, etc.)? Thanks
The KA AC lines do not bolt up regardless of the chassis. Well, the low pressure line doesn't at least. You need the CA compressor and CA lines so you can braze them with the KA lines. Then you can have working AC. If you want working PS, then you need the DOHC lines and reservoir. Or I guess you could ghetto bend the sohc ones.

boosteds13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:00 PM   #64
utemhsa
Leaky Injector

utemhsa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to utemhsa
quick question... i need a CA crank pulley... now, can i get this off a us spec CA18et/20? or does it actually have to be from the ca18det? obviously, my ca won't run w/ out this... and i'm trying to find the quickest way possible to get one... any ideas?
utemhsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:41 PM   #65
Canadian_S13

Canadian_S13 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am wondering what the normal temperature is for the water and oil, the silvia I bought (CA18DET) has aftermarket gauges but I don't know what the temperature is supose to be...... please someone help me out
Canadian_S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:55 PM   #66
boosteds13
Zilvia Addict

boosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_S13
I am wondering what the normal temperature is for the water and oil, the silvia I bought (CA18DET) has aftermarket gauges but I don't know what the temperature is supose to be...... please someone help me out
I dont know about oil... but water temp should be kept around 190*F

Old 05-27-2006, 01:30 AM   #67
Canadian_S13

CA CA18DET problems

Okay, I have been having some problems latly and I would like to hear your thoughts on what it could be...

Ever since the fuel filter was changed my car has been having a problem with holding an idle, at first it wasn't bad but latly my rpm's will drop to 500 or lower rpm everytime i stop and the car has a bad vibration. If I accelerate at an easy pace my rpm's seem to slow and the car feels like its cloged or something around 3000rpm, if I open the throttle all the way(for a brief moment, then ease up) it usually goes away sometimes with a jolt and black smoke. If I accelerate at full throttle the car runs good but sometimes jolts during acceleration with puffs of black smoke then continues like normal. If I shift gears the car bogs(very harsh)then continues to accel. Or if I drive normal and rev higher then 3000rpm then shift theres a puf of black smoke. Also when car idles it sometimes puffs white smoke sometimes

I took it into nissan and he did some cleaning throttle body and it seems to have gone away for the most part. The car will idle fine if driven appropriatly but if I drive at full throttle it will drop to 500 or sometimes lower rpm, no vibration that I can feel when it does this though. If I accel. easily I can still see and feel the rpm's slow around 3000rpm, but it is alot better then it was. I can't tell if the smoke is gone cause it was night when I drove it after it was serviced.

so yea, thats what's happening.... all insites are welcome and needed thanks!
Old 06-19-2006, 10:01 AM   #68
sLiDewAys
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
sLiDewAys is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
IACV"idle air control valve, often gets clogged and will serriously jack up engine performance., TPS "throttle positioning sensor" often misadjusted, tweaked and 100% of the time your engines worst nightmare.

CAS" cam angle sensor" you adjust for timing, a few degrees retard can horribly weaken throttle response and spool up. advancing a few degrees can gain response and spool. spark plugs are also a big WIN in the game of " what the fuck happened" haha so check those adn your coil packs as well.

hope i have contributed some help. all of what you have described ive had happen from multiple areas, but same outcome.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:13 PM   #69
LA_phantom_240
Nissanaholic!

Location: Louisiana. LA is for Louisiana. L.A. is Los Angeles.
Trader Rating: (2)
LA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfectionLA_phantom_240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Wow.. very informative thread. BUT, (flame suit on) nobody hsa ever told me wether or not the CA18 has a BOV from the factory, or if it has a recirc. valve? Also, money is very tight for me right now, and the only reason im thinking of a CA swap so soon (without being "one with the motor") is because my KA took a dump on my chest, so i was wondering, since most motorsets i see dont come with the factory intercooler and piping, what is the best way to run intercooler piping for an fmic without relocating the battery? I really dont want to relocate my battery, because my trunk is already full.
LA_phantom_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:18 PM   #70
boosteds13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_phantom_240
Wow.. very informative thread. BUT, (flame suit on) nobody hsa ever told me wether or not the CA18 has a BOV from the factory, or if it has a recirc. valve? Also, money is very tight for me right now, and the only reason im thinking of a CA swap so soon (without being "one with the motor") is because my KA took a dump on my chest, so i was wondering, since most motorsets i see dont come with the factory intercooler and piping, what is the best way to run intercooler piping for an fmic without relocating the battery? I really dont want to relocate my battery, because my trunk is already full.
If you're on a budget, don't get a CA. No, the CA does not have a BOV from the factory, and without ghetto rigging the IC piping, there is no way to keep the stock battery. The CA indoubtedly is going to need some heavy maintenance before you put it in. Items such as the water pump, timing belt, t-belt tensioner, t-belt idler. You SHOULD get a new oil pump while the motor is out of the car. Its not something you want to fail on you. Figure at minimum $1,000 on top of the cost of the motorset to get it in and running (downpipe, fuel pump, IC, maintenence stuff, boost gauge, and tons of misc hoses, clamps and fittings).

Old 07-17-2006, 01:25 PM   #71
JesusFreakDrifter
Zilvia Addict

JesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud ofJesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud ofJesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud ofJesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud ofJesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud ofJesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud ofJesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud ofJesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud ofJesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud ofJesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud ofJesusFreakDrifter has much to be proud of
you say that you used the ka tranny, did it line up correctly and, did you use the s13 driveshaft(duh)?
JesusFreakDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:04 PM   #72
dvdevo
Zilvia FREAK!

dvdevo will become famous soon enoughdvdevo will become famous soon enoughdvdevo will become famous soon enoughdvdevo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusFreakDrifter
you say that you used the ka tranny, did it line up correctly and, did you use the s13 driveshaft(duh)?

You do you use the s13 driveshaft.
dvdevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:38 PM   #73
da_sil80sx_plague

da_sil80sx_plague is an unknown quantity at this point
what up yall nu to this forum stuff and was looking thru these topics about tha CA but i didnt c any proper "how-to's" on the CA engine swap does anybody know how step by step or should i just take it to tha shop
da_sil80sx_plague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:51 AM   #74
ViZion Zs
Zilvia Junkie

ViZion Zs is making his/her stupidity well-knownViZion Zs is making his/her stupidity well-knownViZion Zs is making his/her stupidity well-knownViZion Zs is making his/her stupidity well-known
Anyone try using a ca18et head gasket??? i cant see why it wouldnt work...
ViZion Zs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:17 AM   #75
hotsoup_zero

hotsoup_zero is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBastaard
Don't know if it's been posted before, but you can:
- Use a Z32 fuel filter
- Use CA18DE Intake Cam for some more torgue
if you can get your hand on a CA16DE intake cam, that'll give you more than the CA18DE, their exhaust cams are the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_phantom_240
what is the best way to run intercooler piping for an fmic without relocating the battery? I really dont want to relocate my battery, because my trunk is already full.
you can go with a smaller battery and turn it sideway to make room for the piping
hotsoup_zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:56 PM   #76
onlyoneface

onlyoneface is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by sLiDewAys
yeah, those too, thanks for the contribution man. I swear to you that it is greatly appreciated.

OKAY new contribution concerning ca18det wiring harness made to fit USDM s13's.

1)The wiring harness needs to be modified EXACTLY the same at the sr20det for s13. Follow the same guidlines for harness modifications. if you need any help or info reguarding the matter then im me : AIM d0wn5h1ft :

2) Concerning t he 2nd charcole canister ( you will only have this if you buy a clip) It is located on the driver side (rdh vehicles only) next to the brake master cylindar.
-There are 3 vacume lines that follow out of this box and route underneath the intake manifold ( green, blue, and red)
-one is for your fuel pressure regulator, one if for your wastgate, the other is for (.....i need to research this because i am not shure)
-this cannister IS NOT reccomended for the swap over so just do yourself a favor and eliminate it, route the vacume lines into eachother so it is a cycle of vacume.

3) Wiring harness MAJOR extension points
-MAFS and Drop Resistor
-Ignitor Chip wires( believe that there are 3) lengthen about 1 or 2 inches.
-Re-pin the two plugs next to the battery terminal ( i believe that they are grey and red)

4) reguarding PRE-instalation reccomendations
-Head Gastket
-Timing belt and Belt Tensioner
-Intake manifold gastkets(2)
-Exhasut manifold gastket(4)
-Manifold to turbo gastket
-sr20det O2' extension elbow
-sr20det downpipe ( aftermarket or oe)
-check oil pan for dents and bang them out if so
-thermostat ca18de
-resurface flywheel, and purchase new clutch
-front and rear maine seal ( check and observe them both) rear is most important.

these are the major things i reccomend for replacement BEFORE swap.

brandon
so doing the harness for the CA is the same as the sr20det harness right? i just want to make sure.
onlyoneface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:58 PM   #77
da_grey_s13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
da_grey_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to da_grey_s13 Send a message via Yahoo to da_grey_s13
does anyone know if a pulsar ca18de head will work on a ca18det?
Old 04-14-2007, 09:16 AM   #78
Arther3

Arther3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_grey_s13
does anyone know if a pulsar ca18de head will work on a ca18det?
from my experience with japanese engines, i would suggest that it is the same. my supra had the same head for both turbo and non turbo and i dont see why they would spend the extra money on a different casting for the head instead of just casting one for everything.

also, the injectors are peak and hold and the mk3 supra 440cc injectors can be used.

the alternator from the ka24e can be used with no modification.

and most importantly, the second vacuum canister(not charcoal canister) is VERY necessary. i experienced SERIOUS torque losses up to 4000 rpm as well as noticing that my car RAN LEAN on the low end until i installed the vacuum canister and vacuum switch per the instructions on NICO. this system controls the butterfly valves in the intake, and unless you drastically change your tune(not just chip the ecu), the CA ecu is not going to like not having control of these butterflys.
Arther3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:30 AM   #79
panama DRIFT
Leaky Injector

panama DRIFT is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to panama DRIFT
umm i was just wondering about the starter, can i use that from the ca18de or another american market nissan
panama DRIFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:52 PM   #80
dorkjoey240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
dorkjoey240 is just really nicedorkjoey240 is just really nicedorkjoey240 is just really nicedorkjoey240 is just really nicedorkjoey240 is just really nicedorkjoey240 is just really nicedorkjoey240 is just really nicedorkjoey240 is just really nicedorkjoey240 is just really nicedorkjoey240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dorkjoey240
When money comes to me I'm thinking I want CA18det. But is it true that ca motor blow out belts when driving fast? 2 question is this I want to have a goal to make with ca 280 hp and I was curious which gas do you use for ca motor when boosting? safe boost point on 280whp and whats danger area zone to psi boost? 3 What's the most important gaugues you should have in the ca motors? ex: boost meter , vacuum meter , temp meter , pressure meter etc..
I
dorkjoey240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:02 PM   #81
sLiDewAys
Nissanaholic!

man @ home again. SIGH

I've never in my lifetime heard of ca's breaking belts when boosting or driving fast, it was probly some idiot who decided to do amateur job at rebuilding and forgot to tighen the belt tensioner... If you are doing your own work get a belt tension gauge, it looks like a rod with a gauge on it. one side has a hook which fits arround the belt, just pull and measure, easy task for even beginners.

Ca's have no issue pushing 280hp. nor do they have any issue going over 350-400 HP. but dont expect to slap on a huge turbo, boost the shit out of it and achieve that, sr,ka and even RB owners can explain this to you as well so it does not just apply to the ca engines. i wish i would have had my ca still. The parts market has grown soo much in the past 2 years. I use to have to search my ass off just to find an aftermarket manifold. now everyone is making parts and starting to provide for the ca engines. Pick a turbo that will give you what you want and take some time to tune the engine. crower, eagle, cp, arai ect all make components for the ca18. Dont be affraid to also upgrade your OE or atleast replace the OE parts. oil pump, fuel pump, water pump.

i'd say a safe zone for the ca18 interms of stock engine w/ supporting mods would be some where arround 250"ISH" wheel \. this is where the stock ca18 injectors are far past their duty cycle and need to be replaces. from there upgrading the maf andinjectos, possible intake plenum and cams with tuning can get you well over 300 wheel. I prety much just followd the sr20det guidlines for power. i did 240 wheel on my ca18 with just fmic, manifold, z maf, hks gt2510 on 15 psi.

as far as gauges, it depends on what you plan on monitoring. id go with the following.

egt(for upgraded turbos only)
boost
water temp
oil pressure.
you can do oil temp if you'd like but most of you now are geting the AUS engines. so they come with oil coolers. no need to monitor oil tempreture. for those whoare still receiving jdm clips a oil cool wont hurt. it will do you some good.

watch oil starvation when in higher rpm's that can be a ca's LIFE ENDER.

for high boost applications sometimes it comes down to engine condition.

contact www.yellowmunsontuning.com about boosting.

safe zone for me would be arround 18 psi.

hope i was of some help.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:05 PM   #82
sLiDewAys
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panama DRIFT View Post
umm i was just wondering about the starter, can i use that from the ca18de or another american market nissan

you can use the ka24de starter. the bottom bracket fits perfect but the top bracket tensioner needs a little modification. just buy one, bolt it on the bottom and build a custom tensioner bracket. easy half hour job. i will post a pic of what i am explaining in a few days.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:09 PM   #83
sLiDewAys
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyoneface View Post
so doing the harness for the CA is the same as the sr20det harness right? i just want to make sure.

for modifying the battery tray harness, maf, and 02 sensor it is the same.

for the dash harnesses. just connect wire color to wire color. grab a PIN tool set at your local auto parts store to do so. super easy task.

1)unpin connector from wire
2)match up wires
3)repin wires color to color.

leftover wires are not needed. i never used them and never had any problems with ANYTHING. if you do.. then you have hooked up something wrong.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:30 PM   #84
Canadian_S13

I've read that you can use a KA clutch if you swapped a CA into a USD 240 and useed the KA tranny, gotta pull one of the alignment pins. Now I have a silvia with a CA(from factory), can I still use the KA clutch? Mine is slipping so I need a new one.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:47 AM   #85
Behind Horizon
Zilvia Member

Behind Horizon will become famous soon enoughBehind Horizon will become famous soon enoughBehind Horizon will become famous soon enoughBehind Horizon will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_S13 View Post
I've read that you can use a KA clutch if you swapped a CA into a USD 240 and useed the KA tranny, gotta pull one of the alignment pins. Now I have a silvia with a CA(from factory), can I still use the KA clutch? Mine is slipping so I need a new one.
Spec is making some matching clutches for the CA18DET for a reasonable price. FRsport.com can supply you with these.
Behind Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:39 AM   #86
fluxhomemade

fluxhomemade is an unknown quantity at this point
Vacuum diagram & conversion Parts

I have 3 vacuum ports plugged Not sure where they go. Can someone post a vacuum Diagram?

also List the parts that can be converted:

- altenator - ka alt. fits need to make brackets
- Power steering pump - ??????KA24DE???????
- Starter - ??????KA24?????
- A/c - KA24E doesnt work at all!! Bearings for pulley are completely different! Have to fab up lines from both the KA and the CA
- Oil Pump - ?????RB20,25,26????
- FMIC - SS AutoChrome or a s14 kit
- Hot Pipe - s14 SR fits?
- Bov - Recirculated 89-94 4g63T (mitsu. eclipse, eagle talon, ply. laser)
- turbo - SR T25 direct bolt on? What is which clocking?
- throttle cable bracket - 91-94 I Made a custom bracket because my cable was too long.
fluxhomemade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:42 PM   #87
stealthj
Zilvia Junkie

stealthj is making a name for him/her selfstealthj is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to stealthj
Old 10-06-2007, 01:43 AM   #88
fastcarvroom
Leaky Injector

fastcarvroom is an unknown quantity at this point
does anyone know a well respected shop that works on ca's in so cal?
fastcarvroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:43 PM   #89
stealthj
Zilvia Junkie

stealthj is making a name for him/her selfstealthj is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to stealthj
dunno, jspec?
Old 11-29-2007, 02:55 PM   #90
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
i dunno if this has been thrown into the mix but

if ur going CA
and mostlikly running an aftermarket radiator

for example...if u wannna run a KOYO on ur CA
run the one for KA..inlet are the same size and on the same sides...

not something huge...but its sometimes the lil things that help
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote