Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-24-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
jeremymc45

Trader Rating: (0)
jeremymc45 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Somebody please help with RB20.

I have a 89 skyline gts-t. I drove it for a couple weeks and i was having problems with what seemed to be fuel cutting around 4200 rpms. So i took the COMPUTER out and it reads MEC-R109 also has a chip in it. Well now the first 4 to 5 starts it starts up and dies. Then after that it stays running but poorly. It has no throttle response, it acts like it is hitting a rev limiter around 3 grand. So i unplugged the maf sensor and it will not start without it. When i get it running i can unplug the tps and it runs the same as well as the maf sensor as well nothing changes but maybe 200 rpms and it goes up thats all. The little red led light in the computer blinks as well as the exhaust temp gauge on the dash. They just keep blinking all the time and will not throw a code. I just dont know what else to do I looked at my wiring and it all seems to be in tact. Stock engine and trans only thing aftermarket would be a blitz fmic. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.
jeremymc45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2014, 11:46 PM   #2
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Well lets get you pointed in the right direction first.

1. Inspect visually everything of course, but I cannot do that (pictures of the engine?)
2. Compression test, inspect plugs (pics of plugs?)
3. if you own a leakdown tester + compressor do that as well (might as well)
4. If the engine appears filthy, clean it. Literally get under the hood with some solvents and wipe everything until you can see clearly where any new liquids are appearing.

Now we can start thinking about the way the ecu is thinking. A blinking light in the computer might be a warning that the chip is not installed properly or not reading right. Perhaps the ECU is on some kind of backup fail-safe map. At this point you either need to replace the computer, or try removing the chip. It would also help to cross reference the part# on the maf with the computer and find out what the OEM part #'s for everything should be. The fact it only runs with the maf installed is of small significance as well, but it does not tell us much other than the ecu is at least aware of the maf.

Other than this, the only other thing you can do is check for boost leaks, and start checking the voltage/resistance of all the various sensors and comparing those numbers to proper values, and checking continuity at the ECU for each. It also wouldn't hurt to check your fuel pressure, change the filter, do a basic tune-up etc...
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:49 PM   #3
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
If you mean the Catalytic Converter light is flashing then your Cat is probably clogged. Rip that bitch out
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:12 AM   #4
jeremymc45

Ok I have not yet taken the plugs out will do that here in about 10 minutes. I've checked for vacuum leaks and boost leaks there isn't any. The cat is already cut off the car and the o2 sensor is in the pipe. Changed fuel filter but have not yet checked for fuel pressure yet since it is burning so rich. It's pretty much when you can give it throttle over 3000 rpms its just leaking it right out of the exhaust lol. I've tried the cam sensor it wont stat without that plugged in. The tps, iac, and so on will run without it plugged in just takes a little longer to start but you can tell a difference in the rpms when you plug it back in.

Last edited by jeremymc45; 10-25-2014 at 08:26 AM..
Old 10-25-2014, 05:22 PM   #5
S13alldayyo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
S13alldayyo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Probably the MAF is shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S13alldayyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:34 AM   #6
jeremymc45

For the maf sensor car will not run untill it's plugged in as well as the cam sensor. The other sensors unplugged one by one the car will start just takes longer for it to. Thats when you can hear the difference in the rpms when you plug them back in one by one.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Did the car even run right since you've owned it? Did you just buy it?

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:30 AM   #8
omgRWDgoodness!
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (48)
omgRWDgoodness! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
RB20DET is your problem. R25 or -26 should straighten things right out.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:39 AM   #9
jeremymc45

I should say the car at least ran and I could drive the car when I got it. Now I can't. My plugs are dark black like I said its burning really rich now. Im upgrading to the the 25 next year. I would like to enjoy the car a little more before I put it up for the winter. I have no boost leaks or vacuum leaks checked all that again today. Took the maf sensor off and cleaned it as well.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:32 PM   #10
l adam l
Zilvia Member

l adam l is an unknown quantity at this point
i'd check the ecu, if you could find someone around with a stock ecu thatd probably help. those chipped ones do go bad sometimes...

also rb25s run for about ~800 no trans from most importers with maf, wiring harness, and ecu.
l adam l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:02 PM   #11
jeremymc45

Im going to buy a new ecu and probably get nistune as well. For the rb25 im getting the whole neo swap. There not to much atleast it just starting to get cold here.