Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #31
SimonW

Trader Rating: (0)
SimonW is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cheers Man! Do they ever give you contact information for one of these engineers that they force us to use? Or do you know what they specifically want to inspect?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #32
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekanuble View Post
Blah, blah, blah, I'm a moron.
Im sorry if youre butt hurt because I call things like I see them. Reality check buddy, you said yourself you're going to "mechanic" school. Which tells me you do not have the skill set to pull off the swap. It's not negativity, it's called being a realist.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #33
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Quote:
It makes me sad to see people like you trying to bring everybody down around them because they couldn't do what they see other people do. Look, I'm sorry if you couldn't achieve whatever it is you wanted to achieve. I can clearly see that this upsets you to the point where you go out of your way, into people's threads to spread your negative bullshit around. I understand that, it's okay, but you might want to consider having a bowl of shut the fuck up next time. Kill yourself
It's going to be funny when you stumble upon his build thread. LOL!

Take your retarded ideas over to the Honda forums please. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:38 PM   #34
cheekanuble

cheekanuble is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Im sorry if youre butt hurt because I call things like I see them. Reality check buddy, you said yourself you're going to "mechanic" school. Which tells me you do not have the skill set to pull off the swap. It's not negativity, it's called being a realist.

A dumbass is someone that believes everything he sees without questionning it first. A dumbass makes assumptions based on feelings and intuitions, not on facts. A dumbass doesn't ask or think before he talks, because his primitive emotions are so overwhelming, he has to react. Therefore the dumbass (you) is just an emotional little girl stuck in a grown man's body. A realist bases himself on reality, and the reality is, you don't know what the fuck or who the fuck, as a matter of fact, you're talking to - I'm a realist.
I have all the material and skills necessary, but if you would know, Captain McFuckingSmartass, welding a front clip's firewall with the full front to another vehicle's frame can't be done in any DIY workshop. It needs to be cut precisely, aligned and it needs to be welded and welded PROFESSIONALLY if the car is to be driven everyday. But I'm sure you already knew all that. Unless Junior here would like to drive on the highway one day and have his real car bend in real half, and have his real car spin out and have a real crash. (Which would be great for the humanity and planet earth but I don't wish that any of these things happen to you.)
Now, if you have that experience, if you have those skills (something that I highly doubt based on your basic reasoning and homosapien-like logic #realistcrew) please, by any means, tell me what I need to do. I will listen to you and value your time and knowledge. But if you don't have anything constructive and valuable to say other than your biased, bitch-made and useless opinion which as no other purpose but to shoot down one of my dream projects, I'd advise you show yourself out, buddy.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #35
cheekanuble

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonW View Post
Cheers Man! Do they ever give you contact information for one of these engineers that they force us to use? Or do you know what they specifically want to inspect?
No, you have to hire one yourself but I'm sure if you contact them they can provide a list of engineers. I wouldn't though, because if it is privatized and it's associated with the government, it's probably gonna be twice as expensive as they should be.
I'd say first of all they would inspect your car as a modified car, and it would be classified as a VGA vehicle from the get go.
If you're planning on welding a whole front clip in :
Also, they would run extensive testing on the rigidity and alignment of the frame and quality of welding of the parts added to the firewall (Hole for the pedals, pedals, power steering rack etc etc).
If you just wanna do the conversion :
This welding job can't be done by your average joe, you don't want your pedals to give in when your driving or racing around.
But I'd put on quality of the assembly + the additional inspection that goes for a VGA/Modified vehicle. Firewall strenght and integrity, power steering and pedals quality of welds etc etc. Basicly everything you've touched or might have ''compromised''

I have heard by someone in the import game that some garages that do the inspect won't even mention the RHD (which I don't know if I would be able to sleep at night with) to the SAAQ or the prior RHD history of your car.

Now if you're planning to do a conversion, I wouldn't take the firewall out and weld another one in. Id simply try to find a LHD interior and power steering column and I'd try to convert my rhd.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #36
cheekanuble

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
It's going to be funny when you stumble upon his build thread. LOL!

Take your retarded ideas over to the Honda forums please. Thanks.
LOL hahahaa

shut the fuck up.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:14 AM   #37
SimonW

Quote:
No, you have to hire one yourself but I'm sure if you contact them they can provide a list of engineers. I wouldn't though, because if it is privatized and it's associated with the government, it's probably gonna be twice as expensive as they should be.
I'd say first of all they would inspect your car as a modified car, and it would be classified as a VGA vehicle from the get go.
If you're planning on welding a whole front clip in :
Also, they would run extensive testing on the rigidity and alignment of the frame and quality of welding of the parts added to the firewall (Hole for the pedals, pedals, power steering rack etc etc).
If you just wanna do the conversion :
This welding job can't be done by your average joe, you don't want your pedals to give in when your driving or racing around.
But I'd put on quality of the assembly + the additional inspection that goes for a VGA/Modified vehicle. Firewall strenght and integrity, power steering and pedals quality of welds etc etc. Basicly everything you've touched or might have ''compromised''

I have heard by someone in the import game that some garages that do the inspect won't even mention the RHD (which I don't know if I would be able to sleep at night with) to the SAAQ or the prior RHD history of your car.

Now if you're planning to do a conversion, I wouldn't take the firewall out and weld another one in. Id simply try to find a LHD interior and power steering column and I'd try to convert my rhd.
My plan if I were to do this would be to obviously to get all the proper parts (still trying to figure that part out) that I'm certain will fit. Get the car. Go through the long ass process of flipping all the shit around. Test in on the track or any quiet ass road till I'm conformable with the quality of the conversion. And finally get it checked over by whatever is most likely to make my car legal and keeping my wallet in mind.

Why wouldn't you be able to sleep at night if they don't mention the RHD history of your car?
Old 07-05-2013, 06:42 AM   #38
cheekanuble

Quote:
My plan if I were to do this would be to obviously to get all the proper parts (still trying to figure that part out) that I'm certain will fit. Get the car. Go through the long ass process of flipping all the shit around. Test in on the track or any quiet ass road till I'm conformable with the quality of the conversion. And finally get it checked over by whatever is most likely to make my car legal and keeping my wallet in mind.

Why wouldn't you be able to sleep at night if they don't mention the RHD history of your car?
I don't know... police issues mostly?? And driving around knowing I'm hiding something. I'm just a very anxious person hahaha
Old 07-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #39
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Blah, Blah, Blah...
Any person with the knowledge, skill set and tools can do this at home, which would make it DIY. No one with the ability to do what you want comes to a forum to ask for random persons input on how one could do this swap. Therefore, based on your silly ass question, you do not have the skills or tools to pull it off. However, you're either to deft or stupid to figure out that this little dream project is illegal for anything but track use. Perhaps you should define illegal for yourself before you piss away money on this silly project to break the law, see jail time, lose more funds for any governmental repercussions and surely have your car crushed or yarded for it's life. By the way, above is based on factual information and is not the opinion of one or more persons.

With the above said, if you'd still like to continue with your idiotic attempt at "fooling" the law, we can start with the basics. The car needs to be leveled and secured. Now, I'm sure you don't have a frame machine(a body shops best tool) at home nor do most, but jack stands will be your friend.

Once the car is secured, measured, and absolutely level, start by removing everything forward of the B pillars. This includes the glass, all harnesses, brake, clutch, fuel, steering rack and interior pieces and anything else running from the middle of the car forward. Leave the cross member in for rigidity. B pillars you say? Those would be in the middle portion of the car, where the doors latch.

Once everything has been pulled out.There are multiple ways to pull it off. You can hack it together like most would, or you can do it right, by remove all the spot welds that hold it together. There are probably a few hundred to drill out, you'll have to find and mark all the ones needed. I suggest getting a spot weld cutter, fancy tool that makes a nice clean cut.

Once/If you get to this point, it's basically reverse. You'll obviously need a donor front clip so you can do the same exact thing to remove the firewall/bulk head. When you get it out, clean it up, make sure you use weld through primer, on all areas that will get welded back in.

Well, you should be able to figure out the rest with the knowledge and skill set you have. No sense in holding your hand anymore. Oh, the FSM has all the dimensions you'll ever need.

In the end, I understand this is a "dream" project. I know it's "your" money and this is what you want to do, but it's dumb regardless. Breaking the law isn't condoned anywhere, unless absolutely necessary. If you think you're going to casually fly under the radar with a converted car of that severity, good luck.

A stated earlier in this silly thread, a LHD car is no different in terms of motor/transmission and ECU setups. Easiest option for you is to register your car with a friend of relative in another providence to get you JDM tyte RHD.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #40
cheekanuble

Quote:
Any person with the knowledge, skill set and tools can do this at home, which would make it DIY. No one with the ability to do what you want comes to a forum to ask for random persons input on how one could do this swap. Therefore, based on your silly ass question, you do not have the skills or tools to pull it off. However, you're either to deft or stupid to figure out that this little dream project is illegal for anything but track use. Perhaps you should define illegal for yourself before you piss away money on this silly project to break the law, see jail time, lose more funds for any governmental repercussions and surely have your car crushed or yarded for it's life. By the way, above is based on factual information and is not the opinion of one or more persons.

With the above said, if you'd still like to continue with your idiotic attempt at "fooling" the law, we can start with the basics. The car needs to be leveled and secured. Now, I'm sure you don't have a frame machine(a body shops best tool) at home nor do most, but jack stands will be your friend.

Once the car is secured, measured, and absolutely level, start by removing everything forward of the B pillars. This includes the glass, all harnesses, brake, clutch, fuel, steering rack and interior pieces and anything else running from the middle of the car forward. Leave the cross member in for rigidity. B pillars you say? Those would be in the middle portion of the car, where the doors latch.

Once everything has been pulled out.There are multiple ways to pull it off. You can hack it together like most would, or you can do it right, by remove all the spot welds that hold it together. There are probably a few hundred to drill out, you'll have to find and mark all the ones needed. I suggest getting a spot weld cutter, fancy tool that makes a nice clean cut.

Once/If you get to this point, it's basically reverse. You'll obviously need a donor front clip so you can do the same exact thing to remove the firewall/bulk head. When you get it out, clean it up, make sure you use weld through primer, on all areas that will get welded back in.

Well, you should be able to figure out the rest with the knowledge and skill set you have. No sense in holding your hand anymore. Oh, the FSM has all the dimensions you'll ever need.

In the end, I understand this is a "dream" project. I know it's "your" money and this is what you want to do, but it's dumb regardless. Breaking the law isn't condoned anywhere, unless absolutely necessary. If you think you're going to casually fly under the radar with a converted car of that severity, good luck.

A stated earlier in this silly thread, a LHD car is no different in terms of motor/transmission and ECU setups. Easiest option for you is to register your car with a friend of relative in another providence to get you JDM tyte RHD.
Well that wasn't hard was it? Thank you for your input. But if you would've read through the thread, you would know that I was settling for getting a lhd 240sx and simply putting an sr20 in it.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #41
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Well that wasn't hard was it? Thank you for your input.
Or you could have searched duumbass.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #42
Q45dippin

Q45dippin is an unknown quantity at this point
Trade right hand drive for left hand drive .baam done deal.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #43
SimonW

Quote:

You seem to know what your talking about so I have a couple of questions for you: I'm considering doing the conversion as kind of a last resort to make an s15 legal, I don't doubt that if the conversion is done 100% properly and 100% legal that I still wouldn't get harassed afterwards, but If I were to register it in Ontario for example, where I have family, wouldn't I be targeted pretty much every time a cop saw me with said car in Quebec? From what I've heard, registering my car elsewhere hasn't been an effective loophole in the system.

I'm not challenging you in any way, I'm genuinely curious to find a way to achieve my dream of owning an S15 and actually being able to use it.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #44
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
If I were to register it in Ontario for example, where I have family, wouldn't I be targeted pretty much every time a cop saw me with said car in Quebec? From what I've heard, registering my car elsewhere hasn't been an effective loophole in the system.
Hearsay is just that... I cannot speak for Canadian or individual providence laws as, I do not know them. However, I highly doubt you would be "targeted" unless you are drawing unnecessary attention to yourself. Even if you did happen to get pulled over, showing proof of insurance, valid registration and tags, what are they going to nab you for? Having your car registered with another family members name on the slip isn't going to warrant an arrest.

Now, I'm not saying you should do that. In the event you should get in to a horrible drifting accident, killing a family or injuring someone, everyone on that slip is eligible to be "gone" after for retribution. Keep that in mind.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #45
ryandriftingfat
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
ryandriftingfat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Can you just buy a LHD car, then take a RHD car and move all the parts over?

If you're taking this on, I highly suggest you spend time POURING over images and other peoples' builds. You should be intimately familiar with what goes where and how/why things are engineered (both RHD and LHD), especially both sides of the firewall.

Once you do that you can build your parts list in your head and develop a plan.

At this point though, I think your problems are not going to be so much technical or mechanical, but political.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #46
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
From what I can understand from the ramblings in this thread you are looking for methods to bypass laws. We don't allow these types of discussions so, this will now be closed.