Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:07 AM   #1
zodpowercy

Trader Rating: (0)
zodpowercy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What is best ? Garrett gt2554r or gt2560r for stock sr20det redtop

Hi there! Sorry if this has been answered before but i would be thankful having some help what to choose.My gt25 stock turbo broke and i need some help on what turbo to choose to replace it.I have a stock s13 redtop swap on a s15 with a stock s13 redtop ecu.My only mods are a larger radiator,a hks air filter,a 2.2 inch exhaust after the cat and i have moved the bov on the hotpipe with keeping recirculation on the air intake.
My current options are the garrett gt2554r and at the same price the gt2560r (or else the s15 turbo as it is known) .I know the gt2560r has a lot of potential with a front mount intercooler ,a 80mm intake with a z32 maf and maybe a NIStune stock ecu upgrade along some larger injectors and tuning BUT as currently i can just afford a new turborcharger what i my best option ?
I run the car flawlessly for a couple of years with the gt25 (neither too rich or too lean) at 10psi (0.7 bar) .
I assume the gt2554r will work perfect at the same boost and from what people in the forums say with at least a z32maf (on a 80mm apexi intake or something custom) 12 psi are possible without anything else as the stock ecu will be automatically adjusted to sent more fuel.Am i correct or i assume wrong ?

And ...if i choose the gt2560r to have future potential will it work straightly as i install it ? As i told you before i currently can barely afford the turbocharger so...will the car properly at 10 psi (0.7 bar ) as the stock ecu was set or will it run to rich or too lean ?
If not will it help if i reduce the pressure with a boost solenoid or through the waste gate to 8psi (0.6 bar) ?
And lastly If it works...what is the maximum pressure i can run if i install in the future a z32 maf before needing injector and ecu upgrades and tuning? Are 12 psi (0.8 bar possible or it will run too lean ? )

Sorry if those questions sound too dump or i sound too cheap.I don't want to install an aftermarket ecu as i was happy for many years with the stock one and modifying the stock one means i have to sent the ecu abroad as no one mods stock ecu's in my country and putting aside waiting for the ecu refurbishing i then would need someone to tune it and tuners here charge for an arm and an leg as there are very few of them here...

Thanks in advance !
zodpowercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2017, 07:29 AM   #2
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Get the s15 turbo. It will work fine in stock configuration and you will have room to grow down the road.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:41 AM   #3
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Can't go wrong with the S15 turbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nisileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:05 AM   #4
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodpowercy View Post
Hi there! Sorry if this has been answered before but i would be thankful having some help what to choose.My gt25 stock turbo broke and i need some help on what turbo to choose to replace it.I have a stock s13 redtop swap on a s15 with a stock s13 redtop ecu.My only mods are a larger radiator,a hks air filter,a 2.2 inch exhaust after the cat and i have moved the bov on the hotpipe with keeping recirculation on the air intake.
My current options are the garrett gt2554r and at the same price the gt2560r (or else the s15 turbo as it is known) .I know the gt2560r has a lot of potential with a front mount intercooler ,a 80mm intake with a z32 maf and maybe a NIStune stock ecu upgrade along some larger injectors and tuning BUT as currently i can just afford a new turborcharger what i my best option ?
I run the car flawlessly for a couple of years with the gt25 (neither too rich or too lean) at 10psi (0.7 bar) .
I assume the gt2554r will work perfect at the same boost and from what people in the forums say with at least a z32maf (on a 80mm apexi intake or something custom) 12 psi are possible without anything else as the stock ecu will be automatically adjusted to sent more fuel.Am i correct or i assume wrong ?

And ...if i choose the gt2560r to have future potential will it work straightly as i install it ? As i told you before i currently can barely afford the turbocharger so...will the car properly at 10 psi (0.7 bar ) as the stock ecu was set or will it run to rich or too lean ?
If not will it help if i reduce the pressure with a boost solenoid or through the waste gate to 8psi (0.6 bar) ?
And lastly If it works...what is the maximum pressure i can run if i install in the future a z32 maf before needing injector and ecu upgrades and tuning? Are 12 psi (0.8 bar possible or it will run too lean ? )

Sorry if those questions sound too dump or i sound too cheap.I don't want to install an aftermarket ecu as i was happy for many years with the stock one and modifying the stock one means i have to sent the ecu abroad as no one mods stock ecu's in my country and putting aside waiting for the ecu refurbishing i then would need someone to tune it and tuners here charge for an arm and an leg as there are very few of them here...

Thanks in advance !

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:47 AM   #5
zodpowercy

Thanx for the advice! Through i have a few questions more as i just found a few more info about the turbo swap..

Also i forgot to mention the car is a daily driver .

Also if i choose gt2560r do i have to replace any piping ? I know my current hard lines for oil and water need to be replaced but by what lines ? There are s13,and s14/s15 braided lines for sale but what to choose ? Will the s13 braided lines be ok as far as length goes ?

Also as both turbo's are BB do i need an oil restrictor and what size? The stock lines of the s13 have one but the size is to large from what i understand 0.6 i think ? Do i need a 0.3 - 0.35 restrictor ?

Also i read on some threads that the garrett bb turbo's have restrictors built in,is that true or bullshit ? Do the gt2554r and gt2560r have or have not restrictors built in?

And again about the piping if i install gt2560r ,do i change the rubber hoses length or also there are other differences ?

Sorry for sounding again dumb but i thought replacing the turbo was going to be a plug and play thing...it seems a lot of thought is required for a proper replacement!
Old 06-16-2017, 08:18 AM   #6
Jefro240
Leaky Injector

Jefro240 will become famous soon enoughJefro240 will become famous soon enoughJefro240 will become famous soon enoughJefro240 will become famous soon enoughJefro240 will become famous soon enough
I personally went with a T28 from a GTiR Pulsar instead of the S15 T28. Sure it spools a bit slower since its journal vs ball. But slightly bigger & can make more power. Add an external gate to the scenario & more power. In my case, I put it on a SR20 redtop so was able to keep the stock oil feed line. Where as if you go BB you'll need to change the oil feed line as well due to restricter differences.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:48 AM   #7
zodpowercy

Thanks for all the help.As i said before my only options are the garrett gt2554r and gt2560r which are the cheaper quality turbo's i can afford.

It seems the more i ask the more i realize i don't know and as i found out replacing a turbo needs a lot of thought.The car is my daily driver and i want to keep that keeping my stock ecu as is.

As i realize i need new braided lines and a restrictor on both turbo's.

My (hopefully last questions) are
1. What lines do i have to get if i choose the gt2560r (s15) turbo ? Will the s13 braided lines be ok or do i need to buy the s14/s15 ones ? Or do i have to make custom new lines as none with fit properly ?

2.I will need a differend oil drain pipe /can i use a hose instead ?

3.Can i fit my air filter intake as is ? IF not do i need to modify the rubber hose or the whole metal intake pipe needs to be replaced ?

4.Again will my hotpipe fit as is or do i need any modification either on the end rubber hose or to the metal hotpipe itself.... ?

I ask those questions because i moved my bov on my hotpipe and i also found some nice 80mm intakes for z32 mafs for the s13 engine i would like to buy in the future when i can afford them but will they fit with the 2560r turbo ?

Sorry again if those questions are dump!
Old 06-19-2017, 08:24 AM   #8
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
The 2554r is a bit small on a ca18det. Adding 200cc to the engine is not going to help that much.

The restrictor is built in if you buy a real one new. I'd get the 2560r, there is a reason nissan chose that turbo: it works perfectly and shokes less at higher rpms. It will not overspin either.

As far as your other thread goes, you do not need a Z32 MAF (and it will require a retune, it wont work), so do not bother. I am running a 2560r on my ca18det at 15-20psi with an s14 SR20DET MAF and according to nistune it is not maxed. You are going to need bigger injectors before a bigger MAF anyway. If you go that route, get both at the same time as both require a remap.

Installing a FMIC is indeed a very good idea as the stock SMIC is so crap it can hardly cool the air compressed by the stock turbo at stock boost. It will quite nicely free up revs while cooling the charge. Basically it increases both reliability and power. Get one
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:43 PM   #9
zodpowercy

Many thanks for propably one of the best detailed reply since my question. I know a lot of these stuff is implied for most of you but...i am amazed by how much i don't have a clue..

Anyway i get it, the gt2560r is the best choice because of its potential.The problem is my engine and ecu is stock.As i said i only have a larger radiator,slightly larger at 2.2 inch exhaust after the catalytic converter,an hks filter and the bov relocated at the hotpipe with recirculation on the air intake.I had the car running perfectly at 10-12 psi (not to lean,not to rich) for the last few years .
I don't have money for a proper ecu or a piggy back like an emanage and tuning.And that includes nistune which nobody in my island has a clue and i would have to send my current ecu abroad ,wait for it to be sent back and then...just hope it can be tuned.

I just can afford to replace the turbo (+ restrictor and new lines) and i hope the car runs fine as it did for the last few years.

That's the reason i ask so many times if the larger gt2560r will be ok...

I had only one reply that it works at stock(Many thanks ultimateirving)....but...at what pressure ? 10 psi will be ok ? Or it will be to much and run too lean ?
If it needs to be set at less will 8 psi be ok ?

I run the car daily so its important for me to have the car running properly.I don't want to be stuck in the situation of installing the gt2560r and then end up having the car run too lean or too rich at lower boost and need an additional ecu and tune to have it running properly...
Old 06-20-2017, 05:30 PM   #10
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
A larger turbo without a tune is never the best idea, but it can work just fine if you limit the boost.

If you run slightly less than stock boost it should be perfectly fine, the stock tune is pretty forgiving. If you are experiencing detonation, you can always retard the timing slightly, step down to a colder spark plug or if you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator up the fuel pressure slightly.

These aren't the proper way to make it run as it should, but they will work until you can spend the money to get an ECU that can be tuned.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:52 AM   #11
zodpowercy

thanks man
Old 07-04-2017, 06:25 AM   #12
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
The 2560r is the stock turbo on early S15 sr20det. It just really is a ball bearing T28. Its stock actuator opens around 8psi. You will not have any problem running it, even at 10psi.

Install that FMIC at the same time, so you do not have to work on the piping twice. then change injectors, up the boost at 15psi and get it mapped.

As far as nistune goes, it is quite easy to install if you have a moderate experience with soldering electronics. Tuning the car is another matter, but the software is easy to use. Frankly anyone who has ever tuned a car with an ECU can do it with a nistune. Docs are available on the website. There are some options an inexperienced tuner should not touch, but something as simple as changing fueling and ignition on rollers, plus a MAF or injector changes...

The last 2 just require a click on a "change MAF" button, then "change injector size" and adjusting latency. No one can mess that up.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote