Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-13-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
Jared_s13

Trader Rating: (0)
Jared_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S13 240 vs. 350z

Wanting to get opinions from people who have owned both 240sx's and 350z's. I have been daily driving my s13 hatch for a little over a year now(stock other than bc coils, intake, and exhaust) and am thinking about trading up to a Z. While I absolutely love my hatch, I am a college student it has been very hard to find the time and sometimes money to work on it. I'm thinking of upgrading to the z to have a newer and more reliable car to daily but also still want to have a car to go out and have fun with like my 240. I guess my question is how does the 350 compare to the 240. Both in handling (track, drifting) and in daily drivability and how reliable they are. Thanks in advance for any replies, just trying to figure out if I want to keep fixing stupid shit on my car or get something new.
Jared_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2014, 12:32 AM   #2
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well as a broke college student, extrapolating, you probably should keep the 240. A z will be no cheaper to work on and it doesn't sound like you have money to buy a z straight up, nor should you saddle yourself with a car payment. Focus on school and keep your 240 as long as possible. Save cash for a nicer daily and make the hatch your track hooner. Thank me later when you are financially in a better place
Old 12-14-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
Ilya
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Ilya is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Ding ding ding^ that's what I did and after being out of college for 2 years and having an amazing job, I still drive my vert.
Ilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:57 PM   #4
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
civic.....
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:35 PM   #5
badass8
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
badass8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just get a nice daily that's good on gas and that's reliable. I had a subaru wrx as a daily and traded for a honda fit. I save $1400 on gas a year, it only has 105hp so god knows I wont try anything stupid. Don't worry I still have a project 240sx at home I take to track days when I have it running.

I don't think its practical to use a daily as a track a car as well especially before having a career. Don't be like most of these kids now a days and spend everything on your car. Please realize you should start investing into owning property ie: a house or condo.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:28 AM   #6
zurud
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
zurud is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
trade your car plus some cash for geo metro
zurud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:41 AM   #7
HORShi
Zilvia Member

HORShi is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared_s13 View Post
Wanting to get opinions from people who have owned both 240sx's and 350z's. I have been daily driving my s13 hatch for a little over a year now(stock other than bc coils, intake, and exhaust) and am thinking about trading up to a Z. While I absolutely love my hatch, I am a college student it has been very hard to find the time and sometimes money to work on it. I'm thinking of upgrading to the z to have a newer and more reliable car to daily but also still want to have a car to go out and have fun with like my 240. I guess my question is how does the 350 compare to the 240. Both in handling (track, drifting) and in daily drivability and how reliable they are. Thanks in advance for any replies, just trying to figure out if I want to keep fixing stupid shit on my car or get something new.
Well me too as a "broke college student"...I'll say keep your 240 and keep it STOCK. I daily mines and drive it spirited often (no drifting in the winter, it's too cold) but I keep it STOCK. It's reliable, it's relatively simplistic and nothing can go wrong really. I'm anal about my maintenance though and all always fluids and tools on the go. Unless you have some serious problems that you haven't mention...I'm just assuming it may sound like it because of:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared_s13 View Post
it has been very hard to find the time and sometimes money to work on it.
Keep it stock, do proper maintenance and it will work out for you. 240sx don't really cost much to maintain, they're pretty stout in stock form. Save up money when you can and keep it on standby. Good luck with your studies!
Old 12-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #8
omgosh
Zilvia Member

omgosh is an unknown quantity at this point
Go drive a Z at a buy here pay here or something. They are cheap now. You shouldnt have a problem getting behind the wheel..

In my opinion, if you want an S13 but want something a bit nice but not quite a Z , get a nice S14.

A stock Z is quick, but feels sloppy under braking and cornering. There is no room inside at all. It has a stupid high belt line so even at 6'1 I feel like Im sitting in a giant bathtub with no visibility. If you have to do any engine work on it at all, kiss the skin of your knuckles goodbye. You have to take the entire front end off the car (headlights, bumper, CORE SUPPORT) just to UNPLUG the a/c triple pressure switch and replace the a/c dryer.

An S14 with $2000 in suspension/brakes/wheels/tires handles like a dream compared to a stock Z, has 4 seats, trunk, room, visibility, you can work on it no prob... looks better IMO.

S13 coupe is cool but so old. Its a bit harder to get one to good condition but basically the same as S14 with cheaper parts..
Old 12-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #9
LockOn!
Zilvia FREAK!

LockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her self
I've owned many s13s and have been driving a 350z since April.

While the Z is far more quite and comfortable, even with coilovers and and exhaust, somehow it manages to be less practical. I cannot fit anything in it and if your like me and traveled distance for college and need to pack your shit up regularly, the space in an s13 hatch or even a coupe is very useful. It can actually be difficult doing something as simple as getting grocery with the Z.

Driving an 240 in a spirited manner is more fun IMO then the Z as well, the reason I made the move is I ready for something "nicer".
Old 12-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #10
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
Yaa z not practical when it comes to hauling shit. The hatch is a fucking joke.
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #11
mickluvinnz33

mickluvinnz33 is an unknown quantity at this point
i daily my z and i'm a "broke college student" you can easily find a good stock z that hasn't been abused. I think they handle great, super reliable, and basically bullet proof. 04 vq burns a lot of oil though. It just depends on your situation i guess, money wise, if you can afford it do it.
mickluvinnz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #12
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark123 View Post
Yaa z not practical when it comes to hauling shit. The hatch is a fucking joke.
There's always the G35 coupe if you need to haul stuff. Virtually the same price & performance as the Z. But yeah, OP needs to stick with the cheaper 240, focus on just finishing college & getting a good job.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:50 PM   #13
SilviaSR20DET
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
SilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her selfSilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her selfSilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
240's do just fine for college... learn to live with it and maintain it every so often. I drove my s14 daily through college and worked out just fine. Your just throwing more money into a Z if you get one IMO and it gets expensive for parts to maintain one. As everyone else says, keep it relatively stock until you're done with college, find a job, then spend money tracking it when you have a stable income. Exactly what i did...
SilviaSR20DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:46 PM   #14
Jared_s13

Jared_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the replies and advice everybody! Leaning towards keeping the 240 and keeping mods to a minimum as everybody is suggesting. I love this car and would hate to see it go anyways. As for the geo and civic comments, thanks mom
Jared_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:26 AM   #15
mothon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
mothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Since it is your daily I would get the Z. I hated having to daily my 240.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:31 AM   #16
driftsucky
Zilvia FREAK!

driftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond reputedriftsucky has a reputation beyond repute
IMO, don't take on any more debt or expense while you're in college. It just doesn't make good financial sense to do so IF your car is working now.
That said...

If you're going to get a nice daily with creature comforts and a VQ, get an 03/04 G35. You can get them for Z money, they're almost identical (feel a little heavier when sliding around a track, but the difference is nominal), and you get back seats and usable (albeit barely usable) trunk. The same nonsense you have to do to work on the Z, you have to do on the G. I've had my G for almost 4 years and have had no real issues. I had to change my headlight bulbs a few times so now I have a quick release front bumper. But other than that, it's a workhorse. But, it's not in any way shape or form a daily. Hell, it's barely a monthly at this point...a summerly kinda sorta.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:56 PM   #17
BuildingDreams
Zilvia Member

BuildingDreams is on the path to ruinBuildingDreams is on the path to ruin
I have owned both and a Z is a really nice dd but depending on how u drive and how much u drive because is not going to be the same on gas, 240sx usually ~$30 every other week against ~$50 at least once a week (driving 15 miles a day) assuming that both are reliable also parts are around 2 or 3 times more that 240sx parts. Plus a monthly paymant and more expensive insurance so unless u willing to expend ~$600 a moth go for it.
BuildingDreams is offline   Reply With Quote