Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:37 AM   #1
blue88coupe
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
blue88coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1990 240sx hotrod

I wanna share my 240sx build with y'all.

I drag race, street race and cruise. Last year I ran an old 1979 ford fairmont with a 80mm borgwarner and a bone stock 5.3. The car wound up being too fast as it had no cage and it was really too rusted out to spend the time to put a cage in it so when I blew the 5.3 up I decided to get something in a little better condition and put my drive train in it.

This new build is a 1990 nissan 240 sx(my first non american car), 6.0L (valve job, hone, new rings, and custom cam all done by me), my glide and converter for my fairmont, ms3x and 76mm/T4 borg turbo. I've done some research on swapping a 9" center section into the car and I will probably go that route. I talked to a guy that was running pretty quick at a local track and he gave me a bunch of info on what to get. The cage is a 25.5 SFI spec good to 4.50 1/8th. My goal is to drive the car to the local meets and race in no prep and limited 8.5. I've been running 26x8.5 for a long time and like them plus they fit and look pretty good on this car.

Anyhow let me get you guys up to speed with where I'm at now.

This is the car when I first got it. It says "Slide Life" on the back window.

This is my old fairmont from last year, its been sold already:

5.3 after disintegrating a piston, gotta cram all this into the 240...:

whats left of the fairmont... been sitting in my shop floor all winter

I got some eBay 5 lug hubs and low and behold the exact same wheel and tire combo I was running on my fairmont fit perfectly... musta been meant to be.

getting ready for cage

cage:

next up clean up engine bay, patch up the firewall and get rid of red.

next up cut out spare well and fab up a fuel cell mount

My seat came a few nights ago gotta fab up some mounts for it

motor / turbo stuff

I got this "quick drain" GTO oil pan... gonna patch it up this weekend

Turbo kit for my homeboys truck

These came in last night... can't wait to get the motor sitting in the car

couple of turbo shots... the one on the left is a 76/t4/cast wheel the one on the right is the turbo i ran last year 80/t6/billet wheel. I'm going bigger cubes, smaller turbine housing for better spool time. I had to do a bunch of tricks(spool valve) with the t6 80 to get any boost off the line.

got two housings for the 76

So that about brings us to today. Feb 13. My goal is to have the motor / trans sitting in by next weekend and possibly have the seat in.
blue88coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2016, 06:13 PM   #2
boostzilla
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
boostzilla is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Sweet build ! Good work so far
boostzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:17 PM   #3
blue88coupe
Leaky Injector

over the past week I sold some stuff and made a few changes.

I found a good deal on a set of ls3 heads so I sold my 317's and I'm waiting for the ls3's to show up. bought a new oil pump. about to drop some cash on intake, elbow, fuel rails and throttle body. Been trying to gather up everything to assemble the motor with. Anyhow lets see where there real work has been happening...

motor plate mock up:

cutting plates on a old school shop smith bandsaw:

trying to get it tight to the cross member / rack

found out my old truck intake isn't going to clear the hood lol

starting to think about how to mount the seat

I spent several days getting a "chassis centerline" so I could line up my engine / trans square in the chassis. I did this a bunch as I've never done it before and wanted to make sure everything was right

bought an oil pump

started welding the bottom of that busted up GTO oil pan... dunno if this is going to work out or not, theres a local guy selling one so I have a plan B.

made the seat bracket bases:

gonna have to close up that big hole...

final version of the motor plates

got all the brackets for the motor and mid plate welded in... still going to trim down some of the mid plate before I'm happy with it
Old 02-21-2016, 08:24 PM   #4
blue88coupe
Leaky Injector

something I'm interested in doing is switching my front end to a non-flip up light front end. I've read that the s14 swap sucks because nothing lines up right after that. I've also seen the pricing on a "factory silvia" front and they're a little high.

I'm hoping I can find some after market / reproduction front that is cheap and will look something like what these cars look like....

I like the extra lip on this one, most fast 1/8th mile stuff has an "outlaw" style front end that hangs down real low

Old 02-21-2016, 08:39 PM   #5
S13-Dreams
Leaky Injector

S13-Dreams is an unknown quantity at this point
Jesus those turbos are HUGE!!

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2016, 10:23 PM   #6
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I'm very okay with this
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:11 AM   #7
blue88coupe
Leaky Injector

I found a good deal on a set of ls3 heads so I sold my 317's and I'm waiting for the ls3's to show up. bought a new oil pump. about to drop some cash on intake, elbow, fuel rails and throttle body. Been trying to gather up everything to assemble the motor with. Anyhow lets see where there real work has been happening...

motor plate mock up:
[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/RTHmKVGLik_5lSv4tz7OEddZkEM-bvn17S3HcxInlC76jeoD5IjU0NuzRt-wV20wxNzNn8hRd--0COL53p9nc9mlY03sMjiGPCUrarRBo1_GSm1TBYnp7Jo3SSSfM fEYR5HSWn18UNGTQ0_rcd_1E3ed9m5G9Dpq-1ym_0czlMU6LwNcG_8eaaRB9K7a5agTgqM4XV7ByREccCKVoRJ z3ZHgslvvQ0MF1inf7hxC5pLQUFiC7Qt63zmrokb9Q7xI4rbdP nc0zEdqQf4taT6JWRoECvf58By2qwAfULMkSVGdI7mef_YFhak PedNHl6CT-f3N71IB9LqNaxZRisiAOAoSKedYAjd_npcG5v2vYz0OWYWGLK0 IrQftIEWB0FHDr0Uigu7RwcBEPrwaohjE4OgfNlh_5WX_XouBm La2bXvJuDxZz_MJKqYATfezFlICXRSwhRJruKEjaGVoA1FNspl c90QD26nTAF40Wg8S1o-AYrcW4YCzfg5uuw7030qhGJpDCFh7jVI4YgRfY-4W-B9Y96dpvF22pXaXWpSxh2xcl4FO-c8MKN6T-P2Q67LFP8uC=w960-h720-no[img]

I spent several days getting a "chassis centerline" so I could line up my engine / trans square in the chassis. I did this a bunch as I've never done it before and wanted to make sure everything was right

bought an oil pump

started welding the bottom of that busted up GTO oil pan... dunno if this is going to work out or not, theres a local guy selling one so I have a plan B.

got all the brackets for the motor and mid plate welded in... still going to trim down some of the mid plate before I'm happy with it
Old 02-22-2016, 07:15 AM   #8
blue88coupe
Leaky Injector

motor plate mock up:

bought an oil pump

Old 02-22-2016, 09:13 AM   #9
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Its refreshing to see different types of build. Interested to see where this goes
Old 02-22-2016, 09:17 AM   #10
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
holy shit.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:15 PM   #11
1988montecarloss
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (24)
1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough1988montecarloss is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
very cool to see a drag style build on here
Old 02-22-2016, 12:58 PM   #12
10psitx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
10psitx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Very cool build, like to see how this turns out...Did you replace the OEM frame rails or encapsulate it?
10psitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #13
blue88coupe
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10psitx View Post
Very cool build, like to see how this turns out...Did you replace the OEM frame rails or encapsulate it?
they're cut out and replaced.

I got a bunch more updates waiting in moderator approval, dunno why I can post some updates and some I can't.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:33 AM   #14
blue88coupe
Leaky Injector

Done a ton of updates, got the seat in, got the dash back in, motor plate mounts are all welded and trans cross member. Waiting on a few more parts to finish the motor. I got a bunch of pictures of stuff but I can't post them here, they say "waiting on approval" but never get approved.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:49 AM   #15
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue88coupe View Post
Done a ton of updates, got the seat in, got the dash back in, motor plate mounts are all welded and trans cross member. Waiting on a few more parts to finish the motor. I got a bunch of pictures of stuff but I can't post them here, they say "waiting on approval" but never get approved.
That'll go away the more you post. When I started my thread it was that way but now I can just post whenever I want.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:54 AM   #16
blue88coupe
Leaky Injector

motor plate mock up:

bought an oil pump

Old 03-11-2016, 07:57 AM   #17
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
So I'm starting to get more into the drag scene, I was wonder what the engine plates do? I only ever see them on drag chassis. Anyways good progress man!
Old 03-11-2016, 08:00 AM   #18
blue88coupe
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzbrady View Post
So I'm starting to get more into the drag scene, I was wonder what the engine plates do? I only ever see them on drag chassis. Anyways good progress man!
they're stronger and tied directly into the chassis. also if you needed room say for headers or something then thats something to think about.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:04 AM   #19
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue88coupe View Post
they're stronger and tied directly into the chassis. also if you needed room say for headers or something then thats something to think about.
Okay so they're a substitution for engine mounts?
Old 03-11-2016, 08:09 AM   #20
blue88coupe
Leaky Injector

LS3 chamber

put my springs on, new valve seals and lapped valves in

got an elbow/throttle body

intake didn't fit the heads directly due to a lip on the factory heads... no big deal just grind on your brand new heads and intake right....

still plenty of meat for a gasket

beast

driver haha

buddies wanted to put the motor in and see what it looked like with the intake
Old 03-11-2016, 08:10 AM   #21
blue88coupe
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzbrady View Post
Okay so they're a substitution for engine mounts?

yah exactly, you ditch the motor mounts and stuff that ties into your k-member.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:12 AM   #22
greenwood
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
greenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymoregreenwood is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=239313

greenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:13 AM   #23
blue88coupe
Leaky Injector

Money shot

If you've picked up that the turbo is not the 76/T4 you'd be right. I sold that and decided to just keep running my billet 80/T6

Old 03-11-2016, 08:15 AM   #24
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

I am very okay with this.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:28 AM   #25
blue88coupe
Leaky Injector

some things I'm going to change:

run 2 sets of injectors. One set will be my 80# that i have and have a 044 / fuel cell to run 93 octane with. This is so i can drive to my local meets and cruise / what ever.

2nd set of injectors and 2nd fuel system will be to run alcohol/methanol (straight not as an additive to the 93) for racing.

so when I get to the track i'll flip my tune, disable my 044 and put the belt on the belt driven fuel pump and have a little 2 gallon cell at the front of the car with just methanol in it.

My goal is to max this turbo out

anyhow heres a pic of the belt drive pump i got

ATI damper and mandrel to drive the belt pump

I tried to drill my 4 lug rotors to fit the 5 lug stuff and I got them way out of balance so when i turned the rotor it looked like it had a big time hop, I figured i'd never get it perfect with my simple tool set and that it would never balance so I broke down like a puss and bought some eBay rotors.

buddy said I gotta have NAWZZZZ cuz everyone needs NAWZZZZ right? LOL (this was just a photo op, that isn't staying in my car!)

that big hole in the floor for the seat got patched up and turned out pretty good to my surprise, I might actually be getting good at this stuff

cut, gut, paint. The crash bars in these doors gotta weigh 20# at least. When I do the drivers door i'll get before and after weights

dash still fits, i've got a new one that doesn't have cracks in it that we're going to cut up and put in there

So that oil pan i was welding up earlier... I was welding it and I heard a "POP POP POP" looked down and it had split all the way up the side so I abandoned it. Got a fresh one and slapped a bung in the side of it

Old 03-11-2016, 08:32 AM   #26
blue88coupe
Leaky Injector

the nissan throttle cable fits this setup almost perfectly with 0 mods to the cable. I'm gonna move it around on that throttle bracket a little better so its a little straighter but that saved me some money and headache on a cable...

I went out to the scrap pile to get some metal to try and make a balancer installer and this little guy was hiding in there, I shot him with some rat shot and wigged out for about 30 minutes before I finally got myself enough nerve to go back in there haha

so now I'm here, which is a big problem. The turbo kit i was running in the other car is gonna have to be hacked up, I was ok with that but this really sucks. Dunno what I'm gonna do, got a couple different manifolds to try and make something work with. I'm ok with building my own headers I just didn't really want to do it right now.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:48 AM   #27
Tucker240

--Deleted--

Last edited by Tucker240; 03-17-2019 at 11:36 PM..
Old 03-15-2016, 08:01 AM   #28
blue88coupe
Leaky Injector

digging through all the electrical harness and getting out what I need for the chassis to pass state inspection (blinkers, hazard, head lights, tail lights, brake lights) this part sucks.

got this ARC panel, dunno if its going to stay here or move to the spot the radio was in

my boy helping me hang the gas fuel pump

I bought a silvia bumper for a local guy, don't have a picture of it yet but I also bought some real silvia metal fenders that will be here some time next month from "Japan." Anyhow I put the old fenders back on just to get an idea

running fuel feed, gotta get a 180* bend, thats not the final ALT, its a vette bracket but a truck alt which doesn't fit the vette bracket. also hung the water pump but its going to have to have 1/4" milled off the back to work with the motor plate. Thats the alcohol pump down there bottom right, its just hung with some zip ties to get an idea, I gotta make some stands / mount for it.

inside things aren't too bad, gonna replace the gauge cluster with a racepak, shifter fits good, I can hit the transbrake while resting my arm on the arm rest lol, e-brake is hooked up and working for "sick ass diftzzzz", never mind the cracked up dash, I have a brand new one with no cracks that I'm going to cut up to fit the cage

Last edited by blue88coupe; 04-06-2016 at 09:19 AM..
Old 03-15-2016, 08:59 AM   #29
10psitx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
10psitx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Outstanding work so far bud!!...please don't cut up and uncracked dash....i'll buy it from you.
10psitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:01 AM   #30
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm pretty not into LS swaps, but this thing is fucking awesome.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote