Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > USA > South Central States

South Central States Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:58 AM   #1
ZX88
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
ZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
New to the great state of Texas

Hey everyone,

So I just moved down from the wonderful state of new jersey to the Austin TX area. I own a sr20det 240 and was wondering if anyone (from the area) could shed some light on registering my car down here.

From what I found the car has to be inspected prior to Texas registration. So how difficult is this going to be for me in Travis county?

Also what goes on in Austin or surrounding areas (drifting related) other than Lone Star Drift (excited to check it out)?
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
95sx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (6)
95sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
you just had to move to one of the few counties in Texas that does emissions testing lol
El Paso, Travis and Williamson County Motorists
In conjunction with the annual safety inspection, all gasoline powered vehicles from 2 through 24 years old which are registered or primarily operated in emissions counties will be subject to one of the following emissions tests.
1995 and older vehicles will receive the Two Speed Idle (TSI) test while 1996 and newer vehicles receive the On-Board Diagnostic (OBDII) test.
straight from the Texas DPS website enjoy
Old 02-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #3
SexyNights
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
SexyNights is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
As long as you aren't running incredibly rich, or making 400+ HP you should pass emissions for a a pre OBD II car if you have a cat I would thow it on for testing purposes, the inspection is just safety garbage besides that. welcome to 325 days on average of sun. Besides that I have not noticed much drifting going on in the Austin Central Texas area, but I haven't spent a ton of time looking either.
SexyNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #4
AS240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (18)
AS240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
In Texas, you must first get your car inspected before it can be registered. When getting inspected, ask for a "green slip". After you get inspected, you take that green slip to the tax office and they use that sheet to transfer your car's info into the Texas database or whatever.
If you try to get it inspected in an emissions county, it might be difficult to pass, especially with a swap. You can go a little south into Buda or anywhere really and try your luck at some little shops first.
There is a facebook page for people in the Austin area for drifting and such. SlideATX.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:01 PM   #5
lewisfk
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
lewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I just bought a house in Williamson County and I was wondering the same thing, but Ill drive down to my hometown of Yoakum to see what I can get done. Get a good ass alarm, and get a house or apartment with a garage. Some assholes tried to still my car while it was on the trailer.
lewisfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:21 PM   #6
AS240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (18)
AS240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Yoakum you say, I'm actually from Victoria. Small world.
I avoid San Antonia like the plague, I've heard way too many stories of people getting their cars stolen or getting car jacked.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:59 PM   #7
ghost_silvia
Zilvia Junkie

ghost_silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Anybody want to caravan to Houston HIN 3-14? I'm picking up my car next week and have to get emissions, I have a Ca18 so we'll see how that goes.
Btw welcome to TX.
ghost_silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:37 AM   #8
Spaz882

Trader Rating: (0)
Spaz882 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX88 View Post
Hey everyone,

So I just moved down from the wonderful state of new jersey to the Austin TX area. I own a sr20det 240 and was wondering if anyone (from the area) could shed some light on registering my car down here.

From what I found the car has to be inspected prior to Texas registration. So how difficult is this going to be for me in Travis county?
Registration should be a problem. To get a around the inspection side, you should find a good friend in the Bell Co. (Killeen, Temple, Belton area) and get the registration done there, then you inspection is a saftey only and way cheaper. I live in Houston (The Woodland, Magnolia area) but my Girlfriend goes to school @ UMHB, So I just did my Registration there, no questions ask, just do you have a Bell Co. address. Yep
Spaz882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:40 PM   #9
S14kouki_10
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
S14kouki_10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Awesome, been following your build thread for years, back from nico. Not into the whole scene so can't help you out with that, wouldn't mind checking out your car though, hmu!
anyone else too, need more car friends.
S14kouki_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:46 PM   #10
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Back from the dead. So did you get it registered? Looking to move down to Austin within 4 months with a swapped S chassis.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:33 PM   #11
Josephj
Zilvia Member

Josephj is an unknown quantity at this point
Reviving the thread. I'm also moving from NJ to Katy Tx I do have a s14 kouki w sr swap. Been wondering how to get around the inspection. Thanks in advance for the help
Josephj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:31 AM   #12
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Find a local enthusiast that can help you figure it out. I am trying something out if it works I will shoot you a PM and we can go from there. Should know in the next 2-3 weeks if it worked out.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:01 AM   #13
Josephj
Zilvia Member

Josephj is an unknown quantity at this point
Appreciate it.
Josephj is offline   Reply With Quote