Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-21-2007, 11:01 AM   #1
nani
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
nani is making his/her stupidity well-knownnani is making his/her stupidity well-knownnani is making his/her stupidity well-knownnani is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Post your speaker set up.

I have OEM speakers and a small 8 inch sub powered by my almighty EBAY amp . I want to get better speakers and see what others have
nani is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2007, 11:03 AM   #2
bigOdom1
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
bigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
alpine type R 6.5 all around powered by mtx amp and a pioneer head unit
bigOdom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:08 AM   #3
nani
Zilvia Member

nani is making his/her stupidity well-knownnani is making his/her stupidity well-knownnani is making his/her stupidity well-knownnani is making his/her stupidity well-known
did you get those Ebay adapters for the speakers?
nani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:09 AM   #4
98koukile
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Infinitys all around powered by an alpine HU and amp with a kicker amp and solobaric in the rear quarter panel

Talk to Broadfield if you want a good setup, he's on here I think and N**O, its been so long I don't remember... his car was just in a mag and he's been in car audio for years
Old 12-21-2007, 11:20 AM   #5
muddafakka
Zilvia FREAK!

muddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfectionmuddafakka is close to perfection
I have Alpine Type R speakers all around and an Alpine CDA-9856 head unit.
muddafakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:25 AM   #6
Sonic Motor
www.SonicMotor.com

Trader Rating: (113)
Sonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfectionSonic Motor is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 113 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Sonic Motor
i have computer speakers mounted to my seats, and a computer sub in the back seat. Wired up to my mp3 player. its dope! hahaha...
Old 12-21-2007, 11:35 AM   #7
drifting.8
Zilvia Member

Location: What's heavier a pound of iron or a pound of feathers??
drifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud ofdrifting.8 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to drifting.8
i was wanting to put a 10 inch alumipro sub in my coupe but i need a custom box how'd u guys do it ??

RB 25DET NiZTECH BUILT
drifting.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:43 AM   #8
FusionR240sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
FusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to FusionR240sx
yeaa broadfields your main man for apline HU and stuff like thatt..
i got a alpine HU with pioneers all around. sound is amazing even at high levels. i just need a small amp for the speakers and another for a alpine type R 10" sub that i plan on buying.
WUT?
FusionR240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:45 AM   #9
the head
Nissanaholic!

Location: in a dark room mastering the art of typing with one hand
Trader Rating: (3)
the head is making a name for him/her selfthe head is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Infinity Kappa coaxials powered by an older Eclipse deck no sub no amps
Old 12-21-2007, 11:48 AM   #10
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Trader Rating: (1)
exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Car came with Sony Explodes. They sound decent enough for me.

I wish I had my old set-up back. MB Quarts coax in the front, 6x9 in the back, Pioneer Premier amp, Clarion deck. A lotta nice mid bass with that set-up. Fuckin thieves.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:52 AM   #11
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
I did a pretty professional write-up on getting good audio out of a S13/S14... let me find it...

Edit: here we go.

Quote:
I just read most of this, thinking "oh shit this is going to be another blind-leading-the-blind 240sx audio thread", until BustedS13 came in and said everything I'd say (well, most of it).

I hate 4x6's. They're fucking useless, unless you free-air mount an 8" somewhere to fill in.

Let me start by saying I used to be very interested in IASCA SQ, and built a great VW Golf to compete with under the direction of a guy named Devin Oliver that builds some of the best car amplifiers money can buy... www.trutechnology.com. I have a very decent system in my S13. Total $ is around $1200. That's NOTHING as far as SQ systems are concerned. I built this system to be small, inexpensive, and efficient.

In the first shot you can see the fiberglass door panel for my CDT 6.5" woofers, part of a custom set I put together - basically I got a mid-range component set (HD-series), and upgraded to their top-of-the-line crossover (CDT EX-560i) and their top-of-the-line silk 1" tweeter (CDT TW-25). I've got Dynamat lining the inside of the pod all the way into the door to reduce vibration and let the 6.5"s play all the way down to 250hz or so.

The second shot shows the tweeter mounted in the A pillar, pointed to play off the windshield. This takes care of the front soundstage VERY well. I run a potentiometer to dial in tweeter gain for windows up/down.

With my hookup, I can get this same component setup for you guys for <$400/set. Possibly much less.

My head unit's a mid-range Alpine - if you're serious about audio and don't want to run a line driver, don't get an Alpine. Pre-outs are kind of weak (although they claim to be 5v). I recommend Kenwood. Don't believe published pre-outs - ask around on caraudioforums/etc about which head units have the cleanest output, and buy accordingly.

I don't have any pictures of the back, but it's a 1.75 ft^3 vented box I built out of 3/4" MDF that's 12.5" tall (so it fits under my rear deck) and has about 5" of clearance on both sides between the strut towers (bass needs space to travel through to the cabin), and houses my Image Dynamics IDMax 10" and Arc Audio Foose Designs 4150 (conservatively rated at 80W RMSx4 @ 4ohms, so about 200W bridged into my 4ohm IDMax). I'll have to get some pics up. My first setup was a super cheap Soundstream SQ10" and Soundstream Rubicon 40w RMSx4, and sounded really good. As long as you go with clean power and a SQ-oriented (and therefore efficient) woofer, your bass will be very clean and sound good ALL THE TIME.

Long story short, you need:
- 6.5" drivers up front, and a door pod that points them at the opposing seat's head is ideal (and easy to make). If you're interested, I'll tell ya how to do it. Notice I don't have any rear speakers - don't need em.
- 10" sub for SQ, 12" sub for SPL. Good subs w/good power sound good, bad subs or good subs with bad power sound like ass. If you don't know what you're doing, contact me for build specs and I'll help you make a sealed box for your sub. Point it straight back, sitting against your strut tower bar.
- Decent 4ch amp. I can help you find something. Like BustedS13 said, Hifonics and Phoenix Gold make good sounding (and decently efficient) amps at GREAT prices.

I "bolded" all the equipment for skimmers. Anyone in the LA area can come hear my system if you're interested in great sound. If you like big boom in the trunk, mine'll do that too, but I don't let it PM me for any tips/tricks, I'd love to improve the 240sx community's audio setups.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:52 AM   #12
posdriftin
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
posdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifting.8 View Post
i was wanting to put a 10 inch alumipro sub in my coupe but i need a custom box how'd u guys do it ??

if s13 ...make a custom box like i did to fit my 12..
posdriftin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:52 AM   #13
JoeC1982
Zilvia Junkie

JoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really nice
Kenwood Excelon deck with sirius tuner, JBL Px300.4 4 channel amp, 6.5" components(not bought/installed yet), and JBL Power 10" sub in a fiberglass enclosure in the right rear quarter panel.

My feedback: http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=169481
JoeC1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:02 PM   #14
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC1982 View Post
Kenwood Excelon deck with sirius tuner, JBL Px300.4 4 channel amp, 6.5" components(not bought/installed yet), and JBL Power 10" sub in a fiberglass enclosure in the right rear quarter panel.
UGH please don't put that sub in the quarterpanel. The sound waves coming out of a sub are longer (lower freq = longer wavelength), and need lots of space to fully form in order to sound good. Putting a sub in a 1/4" thick metal box (like the skin of your car), and facing it sideways, with only 3 ft in front of it will make your bass sound HORRIBLE - won't hit hard, and will resonate at some unpleasant freqs.

Please build a small sealed box that sits against the back of your back seat (if you have one) and faces backwards (or forwards, if you like it better). Your ears will thank you whenever you play something other than hip hop.

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 12-21-2007, 12:11 PM   #15
JoeC1982
Zilvia Junkie

JoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
UGH please don't put that sub in the quarterpanel. The sound waves coming out of a sub are longer (lower freq = longer wavelength), and need lots of space to fully form in order to sound good. Putting a sub in a 1/4" thick metal box (like the skin of your car), and facing it sideways, with only 3 ft in front of it will make your bass sound HORRIBLE - won't hit hard, and will resonate at some unpleasant freqs.

Please build a small sealed box that sits against the back of your back seat (if you have one) and faces backwards (or forwards, if you like it better). Your ears will thank you whenever you play something other than hip hop.
I'll post the pics when i get home so you can see it, its not at all like you described it. i've been doing this for along time, i'll let the pics do the talking.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:16 PM   #16
drifter808
Zilvia Addict

drifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of light
Alpine Head unit w/ ipod link
Alpine Type R 6x9 in doors w/crossovers and tweeters
Alpine 4x6 in trunk
Alpine type-x 12'' in custom sound tuned box
Alpine 600 rms for sub
Alpine 250 rms for mids and highs

i gotta stop
Old 12-21-2007, 12:16 PM   #17
CusCo_S14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
CusCo_S14 has much to be proud ofCusCo_S14 has much to be proud ofCusCo_S14 has much to be proud ofCusCo_S14 has much to be proud ofCusCo_S14 has much to be proud ofCusCo_S14 has much to be proud ofCusCo_S14 has much to be proud ofCusCo_S14 has much to be proud ofCusCo_S14 has much to be proud ofCusCo_S14 has much to be proud ofCusCo_S14 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
im running an Eclipse in-dash monitor, Focal 6.5 components,Focal 6.5 mids,12'' Kicker CVX, 1200w MTX mono sub amp, 300w Alpine 4ch.

post pics later, soon as i take some.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:16 PM   #18
89singlecamnoob
Zilvia Member

89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to 89singlecamnoob Send a message via Yahoo to 89singlecamnoob
Panasonic mp3 head unit, 6.5" alpine type-r's in the doors, infinity Kappa's in the rear and a 10" Polk db sub, and an amp which i don't recall the make...decent little setup.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:17 PM   #19
drifter808
Zilvia Addict

drifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of lightdrifter808 is a glorious beacon of light
all 3 ^^^^ at the same time
Old 12-21-2007, 12:23 PM   #20
victorw210
Zilvia Member

victorw210 has made poor choicesvictorw210 has made poor choicesvictorw210 has made poor choicesvictorw210 has made poor choicesvictorw210 has made poor choicesvictorw210 has made poor choices
i have alpine type s in the back and some kenwood speakers up front all 6.5s and a mid range kenwood deck and my system sounds great
victorw210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:29 PM   #21
sxslider
Leaky Injector

sxslider is an unknown quantity at this point
i have sony explode 4 way, for the door and rear deck in my hatch, subs are a waste of weight, imo..
sxslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:38 PM   #22
driftyour40
Zilvia Addict

driftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the rough
infinity references 6.5" in front components front audioban 6.5" components in rear alpine deck infinity 4 channel amp, directed 12" sub and sub amp, Not sure on how much power any of it is but it sounds good with the exception of the audiobans.

I’m holding out for another set of references for the rear, then I’m going to redo all the wiring (it’s a mess right now) then I’m done never to mess with an audio system again. I hate wires.
driftyour40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:42 PM   #23
JoeC1982
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftyour40 View Post
infinity references 6.5" in front components front audioban 6.5" components in rear alpine deck infinity 4 channel amp, directed 12" sub and sub amp, Not sure on how much power any of it is but it sounds good with the exception of the audiobans.

I’m holding out for another set of references for the rear, then I’m going to redo all the wiring (it’s a mess right now) then I’m done never to mess with an audio system again. I hate wires.
I'd skip the second set of references and get a nicer set for the front and bi-amp or bridge your 4 channel to the front component set.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:51 PM   #24
Wabash9000
Zilvia Member

Wabash9000 has a little shameless behavior in the past
Head Unit: Panasonic CQ-C8303U
Front Speakers: Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5"
Rear Speakers: Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5"
Factory Amps: Removed
Amp: running off head unit
Speaker Wire: Stinger 14 Gauge

Sub: Rockford Fosgate Punch Stage 2 10"
Amp: Rockford Fosgate 325.2
Wire Kit: Rockford Fosgate 10ga
Box: .5 cu ft sealed ebay box.

Future upgrades:
Rockford Fosgate Punch P400-4 Amp for speakers
Apline SPR-17S Component Speakers for the door/pillars

Oh this all is in a s14 base with the premium sound and sunroof.
Wabash9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:12 PM   #25
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC1982 View Post
I'd skip the second set of references and get a nicer set for the front and bi-amp or bridge your 4 channel to the front component set.
Yup, that's what I did (no rear channel for me). At the very least, get something decent for the front and move the reference set to the rear.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:15 PM   #26
BustedS13
Post Whore!

BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
i've played the subwoofer game. i went through a few sets in my 240. the last i had were a pair of 12" Diamond CM5's pushed by a Phoenix Gold 1200.1 (papers showed max output 1489.1w), but now i'm not a child, and prefer some balance.

my CL:
Alpine Type R (SPR17S) 6.5 comps front/rear (110wRMS@4ohm)
two Hifonics ZX 6006 amps (150x2wRMS@4ohm)
RF 1 farad cap

shit screams. i'm thinking about adding a single 10" diamond, but i'll probably sell this car before i get to that... at which point a pair of the Alpines will go in the 240's doors, along with one of the amps. for the rear, i think i'm just going to stick some 4" comp plate speakers in the 4x6 holes for some fill, since i'll be gutting most of the interior from the seats back. stereo isn't going to be a huge concern this time around.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:25 PM   #27
JoeC1982
Zilvia Junkie

I just ordered some base model a pillars so i don't have to try and use the factory holes for my tweeters, i'll post pics of that as well when i get the tweets mounted.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:32 PM   #28
importdude
Zilvia FREAK!

importdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond reputeimportdude has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to importdude
stock tweets
alpine type R in front
no rear speakers

(waiting to buy tweeets+xovers for the comps that i bought wihtout em)

1 12' kicker comp

panasonic 8403 deck
factory amp

simple basic and sounds awesome
cant wait for the comps to be put in front
importdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:35 PM   #29
Ninjabread
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Ninjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfectionNinjabread is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Ninjabread Send a message via MSN to Ninjabread
Alpine CDA9831 (SICK) headunit
Two 6.5 phoenix gold (old skewl) in the fronts with adapters.

Good enough for me.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:39 PM   #30
s13gold
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (79)
s13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
Alpine Headunit with ipod connection
6.5" MB Quart Component Setup x2
-Rockford Fosgate 4 Channel AMP
10" JLw3 x2
-JBL 1200.1 Mono AMP

Full trunk and hatch DYNAMAT.

I think my setup cost me around 1200 IIRC.

Last edited by s13gold; 06-23-2008 at 05:25 PM..
s13gold is offline   Reply With Quote