Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:03 PM   #1
Jayhipter

Trader Rating: (0)
Jayhipter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No spark, no fuel after rebuilding head

I searched forums with tags and keywords from other people problems to get help for days but none helped me out

So

I need your help guys, so i rebuild the ka24de head, had it machined. Slapped it back on the car. Car ran like a beast before no CEL no problems . Rebuild it cause it needed valve seals so i figured while i gotta take the valves and springs out, might as well put new springs guides, valves in

Long story short...

I slapped it back on the car... no spark, or fuel

My compression went up from 160 cold test to 181 cold test steady in each cylinder after the rebuild cold start, tested in 27 degree snow weather.

I know minimum is at 150 so im at 181

However, i have no spark or fuel... i do not hear the fuel pump priming. I tested voltage on the sending unit, i tested the spark plugs with my tester, the light doesnt blink so i have no spark.. i noticed my engine light in the car doesn't even come on when i turn the key to on position... i feel like its a ground issue somewhere cause everything is new since i got it 4 months ago and put new parts on last week which ran great before the headgasket swap and disconnecting all the grounds, idk maybe i missed a ground somewhere , i replaced plugs, wires, pump, clean tank out, water pump & more.. Pretty much a tune up so i can have a reliable s13

I got compression 120k miles, 1992 nissan 240sx ka24de 181 all cylinders
No spark
No fuel pump prime
No 5 sec CEL light bulb at all lights up on the key start position (did before i pulled the head out , i got another cluster in my house to verify)

When i turn the key. I got crank no start, no fuel no spark. I will check the ecu tomorrow to see if it's getting voltage

Everything was perfect before no CELs , so i feel its a ground issue.

However i did break the old brittle knock sensor so i junkyard a 95 altima since nissans are interchangeable for right now until the one i ordered comes. But still that shouldn't stop it from starting. Just manages the engine timing and signals it back to the ecu to run correctly

Thank you for reading and replying!
Jayhipter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2018, 11:05 PM   #2
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Check to make sure your ECU is completely plugged in, make sure you’re getting power to it and there’s no broken wires anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nisileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:12 PM   #3
Jayhipter

Thanks! Okay tomorrow i will give that a try. Now thinking about it i did re route the 0 guage wire to the battery. Possible that i knocked the ecu connector loose? Or is it a bolt that hold it together
Old 01-04-2018, 11:16 PM   #4
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

nisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of lightnisileighty is a glorious beacon of light
It’s a bolt. What do you mean you routed it to the battery?

Old 01-04-2018, 11:27 PM   #5
Jayhipter

Relocated the battery to the trunk the first week i bought the car. But while i had the head out last week. I decided to clean up the wire route, so I tucked my 0 guage wire through the passenger fire wall into carpet, through kick panel by the ecu box and made my way to the trunk where the battery is. But I didn't touch the ecu
Old 01-04-2018, 11:33 PM   #6
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Did you put the ground back on from the intake manifold to the chassis? And from behind the head to the firewall?

Old 01-04-2018, 11:34 PM   #7
anthony_240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
anthony_240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Did you put the ground back on the head ? By the exhaust manifold , and check the relay behind your ecu, your eccs relay can cause a no fuel no spark . Ask me how I know haha

anthony_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:39 PM   #8
Jayhipter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisileighty View Post
Did you put the ground back on from the intake manifold to the chassis? And from behind the head to the firewall?

Yes. The ground that is on the lower intake correct?

So far i checked

Ground on intake
Braided wire Ground on exhaust side
Small ground by injectors on wire harness

Theyre all connected not less im missing grounds??
Old 01-04-2018, 11:40 PM   #9
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Okay. Did you remember to ground the battery - terminal...? Lol

Old 01-04-2018, 11:44 PM   #10
Jayhipter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_240 View Post
Did you put the ground back on the head ? By the exhaust manifold , and check the relay behind your ecu, your eccs relay can cause a no fuel no spark . Ask me how I know haha

Didn't know it was a fuse behind the ecu. Lol i hope that's it dude. This sh** driving me hella crazy right now. I just want it back running i miss driving it
Old 01-04-2018, 11:48 PM   #11
Jayhipter

Quote:
Okay. Did you remember to ground the battery - terminal...? Lol

Yes lol. I got distributor power block under the hood And a circult resettable breaker switch near the back. Everything electrical works like radio, pop up headlights horn turn signals. Just crank no start no spark no fuel
Old 01-04-2018, 11:48 PM   #12
anthony_240
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhipter View Post
Didn't know it was a fuse behind the ecu. Lol i hope that's it dude. This sh** driving me hella crazy right now. I just want it back running i miss driving it

Yea there is a relay back there , check it by bench testing or swap it for a known working one perhaps an AC relay. This drove me nuts on the track one day, took me 10 min to fix it after I towed it home

And in my s14, there is a ground on the exhaust side, that grounds out on to the firewall, I’ll snap a pic in the morning

Old 01-04-2018, 11:51 PM   #13
nisileighty
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Yea there is a relay back there , check it by bench testing or swap it for a known working one perhaps an AC relay. This drove me nuts on the track one day, took me 10 min to fix it after I towed it home

And in my s14, there is a ground on the exhaust side, that grounds out on to the firewall, I’ll snap a pic in the morning

I’m willing to bet it is the ECCS relay. I bet an exposed wire or + was touched during the relocation and shorted. The relay will always fry itself before the ECU like a safety measure.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:53 PM   #14
anthony_240
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
I’m willing to bet it is the ECCS relay. I bet an exposed wire or + was touched during the relocation and shorted. The relay will always fry itself before the ECU like a safety measure.

Yea dude I’m sure that’s what happened too.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:53 PM   #15
Jayhipter

Quote:

Thanks homie. I can go to sleep feeling better knowing i got solutions. I knew signing up for this app would be hella helpful lol
Old 01-06-2018, 09:07 AM   #16
Jayhipter

Alright guys.. so its hella cold here so I been on and off fixing the car. I jumped EGI & EGI Pump relays.

After jumping EGI Pump relay. Pin 2 & 3, Then key position on. I hear the fuel pump priming in the tank
After jumping EGI relay. Same pin locations I hear a click ONLY after i disconnect the wire

Still no spark no fuel. Still no check engine light, oil light when i turn the key to on position, brake light and everything else turns on

All my grounds look good. Unless i forgot putting a ground wire backwhen putting the head on
This so weird. The car getting spark n fuel was perfectly find before i pulled the head

Last edited by Jayhipter; 01-06-2018 at 06:02 PM..
Old 01-06-2018, 09:33 AM   #17
Jayhipter

Update: just went to the car. Took the ECU out. Twisted it into diagnosing mode. The RED light doesn't come on at all. So no power to ECU is my problem

Last edited by Jayhipter; 01-06-2018 at 06:00 PM..
Old 01-09-2018, 03:07 PM   #18
Jayhipter

SOLUTION for everyone who needs future help

SOLUTION: Distributor wire rubbed against the head. Blew Eng cont 25a fuse. Blew a circuit in the ECU that sends signal to spark and give fuel to the car. Which was why i did not have fuel or spark.

I fixed the wire by cutting & heat shrink wrapping it and re soldered the ecu. That fixed everything
Old 01-09-2018, 03:22 PM   #19
Jayhipter

Pictures of fixing the problem

Solution fixed: CEL comes on. Fuel & spark is back. Hope this helps anyone in the future

Last edited by Jayhipter; 01-09-2018 at 07:37 PM..
Old 03-02-2019, 02:04 PM   #20
ferlepo

ferlepo is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhipter View Post
Solution fixed: CEL comes on. Fuel & spark is back. Hope this helps anyone in the future
I have the same problem my friend! do you have any photo???
ferlepo is offline   Reply With Quote