Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:59 AM   #1
newboost
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
newboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission selction

Need some advice/options on a few trainmisson options. I was looking into getting a Gforce tranny but after speaking to them there are a few mods that i would need todo that I'am not willing to do. like cut up the car.so I have been doing some light research and I'am looking into these options just want to know what the community thinks. power goal would be 600-900hp ( vvl head swap) car would be a weekend warror (drag) but used on a daily. here is what im looking at

1.nismo 6speed for an s13 sr20det
2.300zx trans

opinions please
newboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2017, 01:22 PM   #2
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
T56 or TR6060

/thread

Also, if you aren't willing to cut up the car, you are going to be replacing transmissions a lot if you are hard launching. Do the leg work once and get the right transmission. Look at the Mazworx drag car or check out the drag racing thread on here.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:29 PM   #3
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
The Z32 trans are cheap and plenty. Also they support 800 HP on a vet.
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:34 PM   #4
5280VertDET
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light5280VertDET is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
The Z32 trans are cheap and plenty. Also they support 800 HP on a vet.
While I would agree with you 10 years ago, they are aging and getting more a little more sparse.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:08 PM   #5
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
The NA and turbo trans are the same sans bell housing . The NA would have lived a very very easy life behind a 30 year old NA V6 as most were bought to just cruise around

However you are correct in that the youngest one is over a decade old. You can find rebuilt ones however
Old 12-22-2017, 04:58 PM   #6
newboost
Leaky Injector

I have been reading up on a few different options. maybe what I should say is what works the best. with gforce i would I also need to change the drive shaft and I believe I would have issues with the speedo. seems as if the z32 would be the most cost-efficient. gears are still very close to the sr from what I've read. close gear ratio seemed to have great benefits. after seeing a couple of sr run great times. I'm going to check out the TRC thread and see whats up.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:04 PM   #7
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
4l80e

It fits so well in an S14:

Here is its nesting place:

ikujwa manual
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:50 AM   #8
gaz_moose
Zilvia Member

gaz_moose is an unknown quantity at this point
I think the small casing box will die fairly soon.
the z32/rb25 box will take it for a while, you will probably still end up stripping 3rd/find it grinds when trying to shift at high RPM.
350z might be good option if you can pick a decent late spec box up for a sensible price.

t56 sounds like a good option. use an auto belhousing and make an adapter.
gaz_moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 04:07 PM   #9
newboost
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz_moose View Post
I think the small casing box will die fairly soon.
the z32/rb25 box will take it for a while, you will probably still end up stripping 3rd/find it grinds when trying to shift at high RPM.
350z might be good option if you can pick a decent late spec box up for a sensible price.

t56 sounds like a good option. use an auto belhousing and make an adapter.
thanks, was just reaching out to mazworx looking into the cd009. just doing the math on cost, drive shaft, cutting the housing etc etc.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:23 PM   #10
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

I have both the Mazworx bell housing setup with driveshaft (CD009) and the adapter plate (Z32 5 speed)

The bell housing is worth its weight in gold when retrofitting to a S chassis. You will still have to get the bell housing machined, a driveshaft, tranny mount/bracket, and bell housing adapter, shifter, etc. But the idea of everything just fitting, not have to drop the subframe to do clutch jobs, etc, is worth the extra few hundred in difference between the two.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:55 PM   #11
newboost
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
I have both the Mazworx bell housing setup with driveshaft (CD009) and the adapter plate (Z32 5 speed)

The bell housing is worth its weight in gold when retrofitting to a S chassis. You will still have to get the bell housing machined, a driveshaft, tranny mount/bracket, and bell housing adapter, shifter, etc. But the idea of everything just fitting, not have to drop the subframe to do clutch jobs, etc, is worth the extra few hundred in difference between the two.
this is one the reason why im looking into it. i see they have a complete kit. hopefully, i get a chance to speak to someone tomorrow and see what they would charge to do the complete job. they are already going be doing my bottom end and head. I hope everything works out great. spending a lot of money there. haven't spent that much on the car since XAT racing. now you have the CD009 setup? how much power are you pushing? what and the pros and cons.
thank you for all the info.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:11 PM   #12
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Not sure what my final power goal is. 500WHP is my target. Anything else is gravy......or if I am feeling a little adventurous when on the dyno.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:56 AM   #13
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
There is no "machining" required when using the Mazworx SR/Z33 trans bellhousing. Everything can be done with a sawzall for the bellhousing, and a cutoff wheel for the input shaft. Everything with the kit works great but I'd recommend a better shifter relocation from GkTech or Serial9 for example.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:20 PM   #14
D-Clem
Zilvia Member

D-Clem is making a name for him/her selfD-Clem is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
There is no "machining" required when using the Mazworx SR/Z33 trans bellhousing. Everything can be done with a sawzall for the bellhousing, and a cutoff wheel for the input shaft. Everything with the kit works great but I'd recommend a better shifter relocation from GkTech or Serial9 for example.

I second this, running Mazworx bellhousing with GKTech shifter IG is DustinClement if you want to see it I think I posted some cut pictures and install shots/videos