Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:42 AM   #1
Nissan_Alex
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Nissan_Alex is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
With the R32 becoming legal to import, thought you guys should know a few things

The Skyline GTR Basics | L-Spec

A little write up about the skyline I noticed a lot of USA things all skyline's are GTR.. so wrote a little bit about them keep in mind only a little "did you know" blog.

If you guys like it let me know having worked on JDM cars (see lived in New Zealand for 12 years) I know a bit.

If you hate it, than let me know and ill supply the box of tomatoes so you can all throw it at me

Need work done to your car? Free Diagnoses
Nissan_Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
Sforteen
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Sforteen is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Neat, i like it, however the Skyline never came with an R230 the GTRs are all R200's with bigger pinions..
Sforteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #3
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sforteen View Post
Neat, i like it, however the Skyline never came with an R230 the GTRs are all R200's with bigger pinions..
Ummm...GTRs came with the larger R230 diffs. Larger diff, larger axles, different subframe to support the larger diff. Most folks I knew who were making over 600hp on their S-chassis or RWD R32s upgrade to R32/33 GTR rear ends because of the R230s.

Honestly, if you want a GTR, wait. Wait until all the fan boys buy them up and figure real fast how much of a pain in the ass it is to own a 25 yr old GTR. Plus it aint exactly cheap to fix an RB26.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #4
Sforteen
Zilvia Junkie

Sforteen is an unknown quantity at this point
The GTR does not have an R230 man, i have 3 different nissan rear ends at my house..

Stock S14 R200 from my own car - Small pinion 200mm ring gear

R32 GTR R200 From a complete GTR rear subframe i ordered - Big pinion (simular to R230) but still same 200mm ring gear and has bigger stub shafts than normal S chassis R200 (except helical equipped S15's)

And an R230 from twin turbo Z32 which is huge all around, bigger bearings, Stub shafts (even bigger than GTR)

You are correct the GTR has bigger axles but doesnt mean its an R230.. the 230 refers to the size of the ring gear. the GTR still has a 200mm ring gear, however the rear ends are stronger than 240's due to the larger pinions, which is the first thing to break.
Sforteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #5
coreyh
Leaky Injector

coreyh is an unknown quantity at this point
one thing you forgot to mention was the HICAS steering. allowing all four wheels to steer.
coreyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:11 AM   #6
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I personally hated the hicas in my 90 z32. so I can't imagine how horrendous and how you would service one off a gtr here in the u.s.
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #7
DJ-of-E
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
DJ-of-E is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
as much as I would like to own one, if I can't drive it on the street, it is pretty much useless for me.

It being a trailor car is pretty darn annoying if you don't own a house and truck yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocn View Post
its not "DRIFT" tax its a "IDIOT" tax Period!
DJ-of-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #8
PrimeDirective
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
PrimeDirective is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
There was also the Autech R32 Sedan that had an N/A RB26DE motor.
PrimeDirective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #9
PANGES
Zilvia Junkie

PANGES will become famous soon enoughPANGES will become famous soon enoughPANGES will become famous soon enoughPANGES will become famous soon enoughPANGES will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Honestly, if you want a GTR, wait. Wait until all the fan boys buy them up and figure real fast how much of a pain in the ass it is to own a 25 yr old GTR. Plus it aint exactly cheap to fix an RB26.
hehe. I was thinking the exact same thing. I'm sure a lot of them will come in with pretty low mileage, so even if you pick one up from the said fan boy, it'll probably still have low mileage.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:07 PM   #10
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
^^ and be wrecked or riced out!!! the #1 problem I see with these cars is broken/cracked windshields or glass. as none in the country can replace these things. I smell trouble brewing for people who import these, that aren't stupid rich!!
Old 01-07-2014, 05:21 PM   #11
PANGES
Zilvia Junkie

PANGES will become famous soon enoughPANGES will become famous soon enoughPANGES will become famous soon enoughPANGES will become famous soon enoughPANGES will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersayianjim View Post
^^ and be wrecked or riced out!!! the #1 problem I see with these cars is broken/cracked windshields or glass. as none in the country can replace these things. I smell trouble brewing for people who import these, that aren't stupid rich!!
Yeah. It's not just glass and stuff I'd be worried about... it's the simple wear and tear items that any 25 year old car would have at this point. It's going to be a pain in the ass just replacing normal wear and tear stuff. I had a hell of a time just sourcing down a cam angle sensor for my R34 RB25DET when I needed it.

Given that, if the opportunity arose and the price was right, I'd still get one. lol.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #12
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

but with something like that you can use a z32 one. lots of rb parts are interchangeable, the things that aren't (like body,glass interior trim) is were people are going to be fucked at.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #13
coreyh
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersayianjim View Post
I personally hated the hicas in my 90 z32. so I can't imagine how horrendous and how you would service one off a gtr here in the u.s.
just throwing it out there for people who don't know. one person I talked to legitimately thought the gtr was the only 2-door, and all others were 4.

servicing a skyline here in the states is going to be absolute HELL, unless you swap parts from usdm vehicles on it or wait awhile until companies here start putting in r&d n the chassis.

talking to joey from 9k racing he admits he hates maintenance on his skylines (r33, r34) just because of the price and scarcity of parts that are readily available. everything would need to be overnighted pretty much.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:30 PM   #14
DJ-of-E
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
DJ-of-E is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyh View Post
talking to joey from 9k racing he admits he hates maintenance on his skylines (r33, r34) just because of the price and scarcity of parts that are readily available. everything would need to be overnighted pretty much.
Overnight?!?! more like overseas shipping from Japan and needing someone fluent in the language and part to order from. Can't use google translator to translate water pump gasket or exhaust header gasket in Japanese for the native to understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocn View Post
its not "DRIFT" tax its a "IDIOT" tax Period!
DJ-of-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:44 PM   #15
coreyh
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-of-E View Post
Overnight?!?! more like overseas shipping from Japan and needing someone fluent in the language and part to order from. Can't use google translator to translate water pump gasket or exhaust header gasket in Japanese for the native to understand.
fast and furious reference......when they were building the supra...... nevermind.

but yea people don't really realize how big of a pain these cars are going to be stateside.

im more excited for the s13 silvia to get here.