Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-06-2003, 04:31 PM   #1
Zushi
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Zushi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Zushi
Unhappy Ignition Coil and ECCS Relay Problems

Hey, I am currently working on putting a CA18DET engine into a KA24DE Silvia. I have encountered a big problem though. I have got everything done mechanically, but I am in a rut electrically. I think my problem is around the area of the battery, specifically the Ignition Coil Relay and ECCS Relay. My actual problem is in my air flow meter and it not getting enough power. I believe the power routing on my relays might be bad. As a test, I hooked up my air flow meter directly to the battery to see if it would run with the power it needed, and it did. When I hook the air flow meter directly up to the battery though, I hear a clicking noise from the Ignition Coil Relay and the ECCS Relay. Does that mean that my constant battery to the relays is bad or just that by hooking up the air flow meter to the battery I am in a sense bypassing the relays(and running a hard wire). Another situation I found, this one will be a little harder to understand(unless you have a schematics and know what I'm talking about, hopefully some of you will). Well, the Black/Red wire coming out of my Ignition Coil Relay, when tested for connectivity with a multimeter, connects to the Black/white wires coming out of both the Ignition Coil Relay and the ECCS Relay. I looked at the ECU wiring for this and they don't seem to touch anywhere. I don't see why there should be a problem though, it is the stock harness so the two wires shouldn't touch if they're not supposed to. So, are the black/red and black/wires supposed to touch? Let me know. Also, can someone test their car to see if they hear a clicking noise from their relays next to the battery? Well, if you guys got anything that might be able to help me, please please please let me know. Thanks.
Zushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2003, 12:51 AM   #2
FRpilot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
omg, wiring. thats a dillie of a pickle. someone help this guy out. free bump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.
FRpilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 11:59 AM   #3
Zushi
Leaky Injector

Zushi is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Zushi
Wiring

Perhaps someone knows an easy way to test if a relay is good? I was looking through the S14 SR20 manual that I downloaded from www.silvia.hl.com.au and they have methods in there of checking the S14 Relay switches to see if they work or not. Unfortunately the Relay Switches are different so I cant test it the same way because the pins are different. Let me know if anyone knows any shortcuts or common problems when doing a Ka24 to CA18 conversion. Thanks a bunch guys.
Zushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 02:42 PM   #4
noodl35
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
noodl35 has a spectacular aura aboutnoodl35 has a spectacular aura aboutnoodl35 has a spectacular aura aboutnoodl35 has a spectacular aura aboutnoodl35 has a spectacular aura aboutnoodl35 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to noodl35
bumpidy bump bump
noodl35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
serdaman

serdaman can only hope to improve
Bump having the same problem.
serdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:17 PM   #6
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
OK I had my own ordeal on chasing stuff down and it is pretty hard and takes a lot of patience. Of course the relays click when power is on, but there is absolutely no clicking going on, just one single click when it powers on. Secondly, remember to turn off all power when trying to power the MAFS, because it directly is wired into the ECU 12V. Usually power is not the issue, but quality of gounds. A car basically runs on grounds and the quality of the 12V is based on the return on the ground. The best way to deal with your problem is to switch your relays around so you can actually try different relays. If the color is the same, they are swabble. Just swap like colors.

I would also not relay on the MAFS voltage as an indicator but where the relay is clicking usually means is where you have a ground short. Grounding shorts are what causes issues not, crossing 12v's. Hope that helps.
slider2828 is offline   Reply With Quote