Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-13-2013, 12:51 AM   #1
Maeda
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Maeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
E-Fans

Do e-fans still suck?

Or is clutchfan + shroud still the way to go?

I'm looking to upgrade my 10 year old altima fans to something that doesn't look like a kindergarteners construction paper fiasco made love.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:53 AM   #2
waxball88
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
waxball88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
A proper clutch and shroud is more than enough cooling, until it finally stress cracks and blows apart.
CFM is the name of the game, a proper shrouded e-fan set-up will do just fine and make serviceability easier compared to the oem fan and shroud.
waxball88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:56 AM   #3
Maeda
Nissanaholic!

Maeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura about
Ok, so lets say I can't fit a clutch fan anymore..

Do any of these cheapy shrouded e-fans work?
aka. please define proper. I don't know the CFM for the clutch fan, or any of the aftermarket buggers.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:22 AM   #4
waxball88
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
waxball88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I run dual denso's with no issues, a solid oem quality set of e-fans should be enough with a good fitting shroud. I'll try and find a part number on the fans i have but the shroud fit just about perfect on my radiator
waxball88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:24 AM   #5
MrSanchez925
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
MrSanchez925 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I run isis dual E fans with a shroud on a stock KA... hit about 185 in stop and go traffic during the 110 degree streak in my town..

Needless to say, I'm sure my fan clutch would keep it cooler..

I'm actuially going to switch back to a fan clutch since its more reliable and cools better.
MrSanchez925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:26 AM   #6
Maeda
Nissanaholic!

So bonus follow-up.. Does anyone just make shrouds?

I really don't want to waste my time fabbing new stuff for every damn little thing.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:30 AM   #7
MrSanchez925
Zilvia Junkie

MrSanchez925 is an unknown quantity at this point
Isis makes shrouds..

You can find just shrouds for e fans on ebay.
MrSanchez925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:32 AM   #8
ILoveJDM
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (27)
ILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
holy fuck thats a sig i haven't seen in a long time.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:41 AM   #9
Maeda
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveJDM View Post
holy fuck thats a sig i haven't seen in a long time.
You know it.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:03 AM   #10
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I use a set of FAL's on my RB S14. Work Great

Electric Fans

I have the ISIS Fan set on my SR, Work good as DD fans not so good on the track, They dont pull enough CFM while drifting
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:40 AM   #11
PeaceOnesxWai
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (34)
PeaceOnesxWai is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
^E-Fans can actually disturb the air intake at high speeds. OEM clutch fans have a disengage mode for high speeds.
PeaceOnesxWai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #12
KA24DETS14
Leaky Injector

KA24DETS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Its not nearly as pretty as some of the aftermarket fan shrouds and dual fan set ups but I am running the Ford Taurus fan ($12 at Pull-A-Part). Its OEM quality and it moves a ton of air. From the research I have done it moves something like 3300 cfm. If the fan motor does go bad you can buy and brand new one from Ford for $25. Another benefit is that the fan and shroud fit onto the radiator almost perfectly, I used a little sealing foam around the edges just to make sure it was pulling as much air as possible through the radiator. It does draw a good bit of amperage though and I only know of one fan controller that will handle it. I am currently working on finding or making an aluminum fan shroud the I can use with the Taurus fan just to make it look a little better but if you are not worried about how it looks and more about how it works then it will get the job done!!!
KA24DETS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #13
jsu1012
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
jsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to beholdjsu1012 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
i have the mishimoto Efan shroud kit with the thermostat kit. oklahoma + texas summers daily driving with a/c on no over heating. been to two events this summer and didn't over heat at all. so they win in my book.

@streetstyle_jay

Last edited by jsu1012; 08-14-2013 at 06:26 PM..
jsu1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #14
s14SRguy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
s14SRguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
FRSPORT 214815B600 Altima OE Replacement Dual Electric Fans

That should be more than enough if you have any concern. im sure you can find them way cheaper elsewhere too.

I have a nismo thermostat and some generic e-fan. i have never had a problem with overheating.

worst thing to happen was the relay from fan/ignition went bad and it would overheat while idling. like an hour later went and bought a new relay for like $3

e fans are just fine. i prefer it personally as it keeps the engine bay cleaner
s14SRguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #15
Maeda
Nissanaholic!

I have an altima fan thanks. It's been great through many a track day in 100+ heat, but I was wondering if there was something as effective that was pretty.

To get the altima fan to fit you have to cut it up something ugly.

Thanks for the replies bros.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #16
2iv0 sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute2iv0 sx has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Dig into this thread... People talk about the two setups

http://zilvia.net/f/chat/415376-best...fications.html
2iv0 sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #17
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOnesxWai View Post
^E-Fans can actually disturb the air intake at high speeds. OEM clutch fans have a disengage mode for high speeds.
how does it disturb the air intake when it gets pulled through a filter that will somewhat block the turbulent air and straighten the flow out that then funnels it though a MAFS or turbo inlet.

I could maybe see that being an issue if you had no filter and for whatever reason had the MAFS sitting right behind the E-fan

Interesting so tell me how does the clutch fan know when its at high speed and knows when to engage and disengage? Does it have a speed sensor on it?
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #18
omgRWDgoodness!
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (48)
omgRWDgoodness! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
I was always under the impression that once the water pump pulley reaches a certain RPM (such as highway speeds), the clutch starts to rotate fast enough to stop moving the fan blade. Thus "disengaging" the fan in a way.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #19
CaptainVlad
Zilvia Junkie

CaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really nice
What does your RPM have to do with "highway speeds." What rpm range is "highway speed..."?

Also, think about what powers the fan, and allows it to spin...
CaptainVlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #20
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
I have e-fans and I hate them. They've been a pain in my ass, but mainly because I have them wired up through a thermostatic switch instead of a switch inside the cabin. Before I wired them through the fuse box using oem relays, I was having a weird problem where they would only come on if you tapped the relay. I had rewired them twice and replaced the relay and still had the same issue. Aesthetics are the only reason I still have them. I'll be using the clutch fan on my s13
Old 08-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #21
rellik27
Zilvia Member

rellik27 is an unknown quantity at this point
I run a Taurus fan shit is powerful but I also run a quest alternator since it draws a lot power. Both get the job done anyways but I guess oem is less headaches/easier.
rellik27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:47 AM   #22
MADE
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
MADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have SPL E-fans on a S14/SR and even in SoCal I ran hotter than most folks with clutch fans in Okinawa while sitting in traffic while using A/C. Soon as I get back first mod is clutch fan.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #23
KiDyNomiTe
Post Whore!

KiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KiDyNomiTe
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA24DETS14 View Post
Its not nearly as pretty as some of the aftermarket fan shrouds and dual fan set ups but I am running the Ford Taurus fan ($12 at Pull-A-Part). Its OEM quality and it moves a ton of air. From the research I have done it moves something like 3300 cfm. If the fan motor does go bad you can buy and brand new one from Ford for $25. Another benefit is that the fan and shroud fit onto the radiator almost perfectly, I used a little sealing foam around the edges just to make sure it was pulling as much air as possible through the radiator. It does draw a good bit of amperage though and I only know of one fan controller that will handle it. I am currently working on finding or making an aluminum fan shroud the I can use with the Taurus fan just to make it look a little better but if you are not worried about how it looks and more about how it works then it will get the job done!!!
I run Taurus fans as well. I have mine hooked up to my haltech for a controller, no issue. It does use a lot of power, but no issues on my part. I used to run it on the low setting always, but recently switched to high setting. Never have cooling issues. Even when I was out in Jersey for ECB, track temps had to be way over 100, no issues (also have an oil cooler).

Also it really is not that ugly. Stock shroud is just as ugly.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #24
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
how does it disturb the air intake when it gets pulled through a filter that will somewhat block the turbulent air and straighten the flow out that then funnels it though a MAFS or turbo inlet.

I could maybe see that being an issue if you had no filter and for whatever reason had the MAFS sitting right behind the E-fan

Interesting so tell me how does the clutch fan know when its at high speed and knows when to engage and disengage? Does it have a speed sensor on it?
I don't believe he was referring to the intake of the motor, but rather the intake of air through the bumper and then through the radiator and fans.

If you can imagine, fans are spinning at some speed, essentially simulating some amount of air moving through the bumper and radiator. There will be some point where the speed of the fan is actually slower then the air moving through the car while in motion, at which point the fan will want to 'spin up' to match the air speed. Without having a bunch more data in front of me, it's hard to say exactly how bad this would be, but I can imagine that at one point or another the fan will begin to cause a noticeable restriction.

With that being said, a good electric fan setup should/would have some sort of thermostatic switch as others mentioned above, meaning that the fan should only be on while it needs to be on, which is usually when the car isn't moving fast enough to get enough airflow across the radiator to remove the heat being built up.

For what it's worth, one of the biggest items that seems to be over looked when discussing fans and cooling in general is the path of air through the bumper, through the radiator and then out of the bay. Ideally, you want to make this path as smooth and free flowing as possible as it will only raise the overall efficiency of the system. Simple modifications like running a fan shroud or upper / lower 'cooling plates' can do wonders for increasing the efficiency of the cooling system. If you can imagine, you essentially want a 'sealed' path from the fan through the radiator and bumper to the open air outside of the car. This means that any air being moved by the fan HAS to go through the radiator as their is no other path, not to mention that shrouds and the like allow you to have a more even distribution of air through the rad while the fan is working, vs just putting a fan on the radiator. (fan will only pull air through it's footprint.)
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #25
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeda View Post
I have an altima fan thanks. It's been great through many a track day in 100+ heat, but I was wondering if there was something as effective that was pretty.

To get the altima fan to fit you have to cut it up something ugly.
It sounds as if you are using the wrong model of Altima fans. There is a specific year that people use that fits directly.

If you want nice and effective electric fans with an OEM shroud, just find a car with approximately the same size radiator, and try fitting the fans from it.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #26
PeaceOnesxWai
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (34)
PeaceOnesxWai is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefro526 View Post
I don't believe he was referring to the intake of the motor, but rather the intake of air through the bumper and then through the radiator and fans.

If you can imagine, fans are spinning at some speed, essentially simulating some amount of air moving through the bumper and radiator. There will be some point where the speed of the fan is actually slower then the air moving through the car while in motion, at which point the fan will want to 'spin up' to match the air speed. Without having a bunch more data in front of me, it's hard to say exactly how bad this would be, but I can imagine that at one point or another the fan will begin to cause a noticeable restriction.

With that being said, a good electric fan setup should/would have some sort of thermostatic switch as others mentioned above, meaning that the fan should only be on while it needs to be on, which is usually when the car isn't moving fast enough to get enough airflow across the radiator to remove the heat being built up.

For what it's worth, one of the biggest items that seems to be over looked when discussing fans and cooling in general is the path of air through the bumper, through the radiator and then out of the bay. Ideally, you want to make this path as smooth and free flowing as possible as it will only raise the overall efficiency of the system. Simple modifications like running a fan shroud or upper / lower 'cooling plates' can do wonders for increasing the efficiency of the cooling system. If you can imagine, you essentially want a 'sealed' path from the fan through the radiator and bumper to the open air outside of the car. This means that any air being moved by the fan HAS to go through the radiator as their is no other path, not to mention that shrouds and the like allow you to have a more even distribution of air through the rad while the fan is working, vs just putting a fan on the radiator. (fan will only pull air through it's footprint.)
Well written! Exactly the point I was referring.

Definitely pick up a Thermostatic relay kit if you go E-Fan w/ shroud, they go for about $40 but its the proper way to wire up the E-Fans. Same route im going as im trying to clean up the bay, but I want to switch out those cheap plastic fans that comes with the mishimoto shrouds.. I honestly thing theyre a downgrade from OEM clutch fan.
PeaceOnesxWai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #27
Gar9854
Zilvia Member

Gar9854 is an unknown quantity at this point
Look into a gk-tech clutch fan. I know I'll be running one with 2 mishimoto push fans wired to a thermostat switch (and a hard switch with a 1 way resistor for track days)
Gar9854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #28
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
FAL on 190/165 sensor in the upper rad hose. Works great in Kentucky heat
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #29
jamg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jamg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I only had to trim the sides of my altima fans to get it to fit. I'm going to wire it to a switch directly. I have a water temp gauge so I'll just turn it on when I need to. At highway speeds I should be fine with airflow so I'll end up just turning it off. And back on at a stop.
jamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #30
Sr20Bluebird
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (11)
Sr20Bluebird is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamg View Post
I only had to trim the sides of my altima fans to get it to fit. I'm going to wire it to a switch directly. I have a water temp gauge so I'll just turn it on when I need to. At highway speeds I should be fine with airflow so I'll end up just turning it off. And back on at a stop.
IMO just install the thermostat control kit. It only takes one brain fart moment and you've got ka24-a la barbie