Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-03-2016, 07:25 PM   #1
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
ka-titties is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Dapper Lighting projector Headlight install and review

Recently, I’ve been wanting to upgrade the light output of my S13. When I bought the car, it came with some less-than-impressive eBay “crystal” H4 conversion housings. Even after putting a set of $50 Sylvania super bulbs, I wasn’t happy with the light coverage at night.

I knew you could get a projector headlamp housing in 6x7 but I didn’t want to end up with a broke China-boop eBay setup again so I started shopping around and found Dapper Lighting. They had several testimonials describing the quality of their product (and they have a fancy website).

That China-boop

So I picked up a set of the Dapper 6x7 projector housings with the black backing and the optional HID add-on kit. First impressions when I unboxed everything was “wow, there’s more wiring here than I thought there would be.” But after that initial shock, and glancing through the included instructions (with pictures!) I realized everything was pretty straight forward and the lamp housings are really good looking.

After I got everything unboxed, I cleaned up a spot on my work bench and prepped the car and tools for the job. To do the swap, you’ll need basic hand tools: 10mm socket and wrench, phillips head screwdriver(s), plyers, provided double sided tape, and potentially a couple self-tapping sheetmetal screws.

Step 1 is put your lights up, open the hood, and remove the negative battery terminal.

I think everyone has removed a set of S13 headlights, and there’s plenty of write-ups online about that so I’ll breeze through this section

Now that the “old and busted” is out, I prepped the new Dapper units for installation.

The first thing I did was install the HID bulbs into the housings. *Note* Make sure the bulb is sitting flush to the housing or else you’re get a wonky light output when everything is installed. (details on that later).

Then, I went ahead and connected all of the corresponding wiring to the ballasts, high beam relay, power source, etc. Pretty much everything only has one way it can be installed, so it’s pretty self-explanatory. The only thing that can be reversed is the diode for the high beam flipper majigger. It states clearly in the instructions to install that wire only partially, and test the high beams. But if you’re doing this on a S13 like me, just install the diode like this:

Now, feed all the wiring through the back of the headlamp bucket and prepare to tie down the ballasts, relays and extra wiring. Pull the power and ground leads and temporarily attach them to the corresponding posts of the battery to test the lights and high beams out for correct function. Yeah, we’re starting to look good now.

Lookin’ alright

After you’ve checked that the high beams flip on and off as expected, go ahead and start mounting the peripherals and extra wiring in a safe and “mostly dry” area. I chose to use the included double sided tape to mount the ballasts to the front bumper support. I cleaned the area and stuck it on. Then I used a self-tapping screw to mount the relay next to the ballast.

I ran the driver’s side headlamp wiring up under the radiator core support to meet up with the passenger’s side headlight wiring. Then I passed both sets of wires through a shielded pass-through that was already in the sheet metal.

Run those wires to the battery and tuck them neatly.

Finish up bolting the headlamps down for the last time and reinstall the headlamp shroud.

Now I have to get the lamp beam correctly aimed as to not blind oncoming drivers. There is a procedure in Dapper’s instruction manual on how to do this. Luckily, its pretty easy to adjust the height of the headlamp beam on S13’s.

Once I was finished, I took it for a drive and basked in my new, awesome light output and pattern!

Overall, the lights are such an awesome improvement, I can’t believe I ever drove at night without them. They make the car have a much more modern look and a modern light output.

Overall, money well spent.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2016, 08:28 PM   #2
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I wouldnt run them, but glad you are happy with them.

They claim they are compliant running a 55w hid kit that uses rebased bulbs. Smells like bullshit.

S13 owners are probably better off going with an LED headlight nowadays.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:34 PM   #3
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
turboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ur car now looks like a sad puppy
turboshoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:20 PM   #4
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Please delete that excessive, mind numbing write up. Leave the review part and pictures.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:29 PM   #5
nate1
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
nate1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
good write up ill check these out
nate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:33 PM   #6
Green Arrow
BANNED

Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow
With pop ups there not much that can be done, solid write up. And glad you got what you wanted from it.

Ixfxi just wants someone to spend 2500 on tail lamps, and turboshoebox just wants attention. Although noticing your join date I'm sure you've already gathered this...
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:11 AM   #7
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
How jocular, it actually says Dapper on the box!
I thought it was just a cheeky thread title.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:43 AM   #8
UniqueAutoCreations
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
UniqueAutoCreations is a jewel in the roughUniqueAutoCreations is a jewel in the roughUniqueAutoCreations is a jewel in the roughUniqueAutoCreations is a jewel in the roughUniqueAutoCreations is a jewel in the roughUniqueAutoCreations is a jewel in the roughUniqueAutoCreations is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Thank you for your post and review. I just checked out the Dapper Lighting website for myself and I think your right. It looks like a solid product. I really like the fact that they not only have glass lenses but also the housings too. Plastic ones just don't stand the test of time. The way the made high and low beam output is pretty trick too. I also think their price point is reasonable for what they are offering and I really like the fact that they are ISO9001, E4, SAE Compliant. It means they took the time to get the certs they needed to sell quality lighting. Maybe I'll try them out in the future too on one of the projects.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:23 AM   #9
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
I'd be interested in seeing more pctures of light output.

For $250 plus shipping thats pretty damn close to the price of the morimoto kit and doing a basic retrofit isn't all that hard. This is just convenient, and ugly.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:10 AM   #10
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Convenience means more money.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:18 AM   #11
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Convenience means more money.
Doesn't mean the product is as good.

Also, its 250 with halogens, $350 for HID

Personally i'd take the morimoto kit. Has a warranty, is $300 for the mini H1 and isn't overly hard to retrofit unless youre a complete potato.

So, 90% of zilvia will buy these instead.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:24 AM   #12
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
So, 90% of zilvia will buy the eBay ones instead.
Fixed that for you.

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:30 AM   #13
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
I've always just ran Autozone Sylvania sealed beams. Guess I've got good night eyes XD
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:29 PM   #14
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
I'd be interested in seeing more pctures of light output.

For $250 plus shipping thats pretty damn close to the price of the morimoto kit and doing a basic retrofit isn't all that hard. This is just convenient, and ugly.
I can definitely post more output pics after this weekend. its pretty phenomenal difference. I wish i took before pictures of the output for comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
Fixed that for you.
LOL this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
I've always just ran Autozone Sylvania sealed beams. Guess I've got good night eyes XD
That's what I had and it just wasn't cutting it. I drive a lot of brand new cars for work, and going back to my S13 was such a huge, negative difference. I had to do something.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:16 PM   #15
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Eh, that black housing just looks terrible. Makes it look ricey to me. 1/10 would not drop $350 for that. Good write up and info though. Most would just post a pic and say "I like them" as a review. You went way more in depth which will really help others that may be considering the same kit.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:26 PM   #16
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman5982 View Post
Eh, that black housing just looks terrible. Makes it look ricey to me. 1/10 would not drop $350 for that. Good write up and info though. Most would just post a pic and say "I like them" as a review. You went way more in depth which will really help others that may be considering the same kit.
To each their own. I personally really love the black housings over a chrome housing, which was the other option. And even if I didn't like the housings; when the lights aren't in use, they're flipped down. And when they are in use, you can't see the housing.

And yeah, I tried to get a little more in depth. I like the product a lot and I felt it deserved a thorough write-up.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:38 PM   #17
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
I've built one set of sealed beam replacement lights. Pilot housings (removable lens), rx330 custom bixenon projectors, oem philips bulbs, oem nissan ballasts. Parts cost was less than the $350 and performance is obviously much better as well.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #18
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Arrow View Post
Ixfxi just wants someone to spend 2500 on tail lamps
Ah yes, life in Tennessee... where 2500 buys you a house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueAutoCreations View Post
I also think their price point is reasonable for what they are offering and I really like the fact that they are ISO9001, E4, SAE Compliant. It means they took the time to get the certs they needed to sell quality lighting. Maybe I'll try them out in the future too on one of the projects.
Anyone here care to explain how a 55w HID kit is compliant?

>crickets<

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
I've built one set of sealed beam replacement lights. Pilot housings (removable lens), rx330 custom bixenon projectors, oem philips bulbs, oem nissan ballasts. Parts cost was less than the $350 and performance is obviously much better as well.
You sir, are the man.

People should spend their money with you as opposed to spending money on bullshit.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:37 AM   #19
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
Ah yes, life in Tennessee... where 2500 buys you a house.

Anyone here care to explain how a 55w HID kit is compliant?

>crickets<

You sir, are the man.

People should spend their money with you as opposed to spending money on bullshit.
We get it... You have an issue with this company. You can move along now.

And, I have zero interest in building my own light kit. This setup that I have performs well enough for me, and was easy to put together.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:23 AM   #20
ixfxi
Post Whore!

i dont have a problem with the company, i have a problem with them marketing it as street legal when it not.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:34 AM   #21
dapperlighting

dapperlighting is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey guys! Thought we'd come in and clear up any confusion. The HID kits are NOT road legal as we tell all of our customers. We're about a balance of quality, ease, and fitment. Are these the sharpest, brightest, units available? Definitely not. Can you build a OEM quality unit for cheaper? Probably. But our stuff is a good balance of performance, quality, and fitment (most important since we mainly work with older cars). They come with a 5 year warranty and just as important, good tech/customer support. If we want to bash, we should bash the faux projector headlamps all over ebay

Feel free to reach out with any questions, comments or suggestions. We're always open to making our products and service better!

Thanks!
Ben
dapperlighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #22
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
i dont have a problem with the company, i have a problem with them marketing it as street legal when it not.
You could potentially be the only person on Zilvia that cares. I imagine 99% of the S-chassis on this site aren't "street legal" in one way or another.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:30 PM   #23
Green Arrow
BANNED

Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow
Go buy some of his 500 dollar side markers so he'll shut up
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:39 PM   #24
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
You could potentially be the only person on Zilvia that cares. I imagine 99% of the S-chassis on this site aren't "street legal" in one way or another.

I live in Florida, there are no laws.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:29 PM   #25
draker

Trader Rating: (1)
draker is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wow, tough crowd.
draker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:57 AM   #26
ka-titties
Zilvia FREAK!

Here's some in-car results.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:30 PM   #27
tuzzio
Post Whore!

So theyre bright, with no real cut off or anything? And still more expensive than a retrofit kit from theretrofitsource?