Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
wolfpack
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
wolfpack is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Thumbs up • Wolfpack Build Thread! •

My name is Nick Pullin, and this is my story. It all began on May 25, 2011. I had finally found what seemed like a decent S13 coupe on Craigslist. I promptly drove over to Pasadena to take a look. I didn’t really have any idea what I was looking for but everything seemed there to me! So I slapped some crappy tags on it and high-tailed it home.

I didn’t really have a lot of experience with cars. I started to play around with my 350z a bit, but it was too expensive. But something about modifying the car was fun, and rewarding when you let the car down off the jack for the final time. So I began to look around for a cheaper chassis to play with, which is when I stumbled upon the S13. It was love at first sight. It took me a few months to find one, but I finally had one and I was ready to make some moves!

I knew from the start I wanted a Silvia front. It was so cool and unique to me, I had to have one! So I did some searching around and wasn’t having a whole lot of luck. Until I stumbled upon a closed ‘For Sale’ thread on Zilvia with a $550 Silvia front. The seller didn’t post pictures, so the thread was closed and promptly floated a few pages back. I got him on the phone quick and agreed to meet that night. I asked if I should bring tools, he said I didn’t need to. Learning curve… I didn’t have any car friends, so I couldn’t convince anybody to go with me. So I packed up and headed out on a Friday night to give this shit a whirl! It ended up being a total nightmare with the guy leaving me in the parking lot for an hour, and me breaking all the bolts off with an 18-piece WalMart tool set while the seller asked me if I would like to smoke marijuana with him. The front end didn’t have the ‘Brick’ headlights as advertised, so the seller knocked off $50. It was already cheap so I ripped it off and got out of dodge! At this point I was wondering if car life was even cool. Seemed pretty ratchet to me, but I was home free with my Silvia front at this point so who cares!

Swapped it on that weekend and was stoked!

A couple weeks later I was at Japanese Engine Import in Manassas, VA and scored a set of ‘Bricks’ for $250! Nice. While I was there I got something else…

SR20! Hell yeah we’re really moving now! It looks like the motor sat in the container for a year, but it’s better than my KA.

There’s no way in hell I’m going to put the motor in the car looking that way. So I started to tear it down and clean everything up!

Looking better…

Back together and ready to give my first engine swap a try! When my parents asked what I was up to for the weekend, I told them that I was going to pull the motor from the white car. My dad felt pretty bad for me, because he knew I didn’t really know what I was doing. So he decided to come up for the day and help me out! It was quite the experience but we got a lot done for two people with very little automotive experience.

Obligatory first-timers photo…

All cleaned up!

Ready to drop in! Let’s see how this goes…

Wow, it actually worked. Now to get this thing running…

Moved some stuff around…

Reset my timing since I pulled my CAS out without really understanding what the hell I was doing… LOL

Got some side skirts, hell yeah!

Then… one day my SR actually started! That was awesome, I didn’t really have a clue what I was doing and sometimes I wondered what I had gotten myself into…

So I took it out and drove it around as much as I could. Worked all the kinks out and was loving it! SR power! A few months before this time I had started hanging out with the guys from the local forum and a couple of them invited me out to a drift day at the local track. I had just planned to watch because I didn’t want to tear my car up. My dad told me I would be an idiot to go and watch when I have my car…

He was right! So off we went. Open diff, stock suspension, whatever! I didn’t do much but I had a blast. I was hooked!

So I bought coils, a seat, and got my diff welded (thanks Ivan!) I proceeded to thrash on the car for another few events. I was having a blast!

Got 5-lug and some Battles. Did some more drifting. Flew up a grass embankment and smashed my intercooler. Had to rig it up and drive home because I had convinced my dad to ride out with me HAHA. I was having a blast. I wasn’t very good but it was so much fun to go thrash on your car and not have to worry about police or guard rails. But, I think when I hit the embankment I really shook the car and blew some of the rust holes open pretty good. Not cool. The plan was to keep drifting the car and hope I didn’t hurt myself, while I looked for a rust-free chassis.

A couple months and a few events later the white car was on it’s last leg. Right around then I managed to find this piece of shit on Craigslist. It needed alot of work, but it didn’t have any rust and came with a few parts I could sell back to recoup some money.

One good part about the car is all this was already done! I needed better suspension arms, and taking the subframe out of a 20+ year old car is never any fun. So at least all that is out of the way. I wanted to make the final Slideways event at ODS as well as 100 Drifters of December so I quickly got both cars next to each other and went to work. I started with all of the suspension stuff I wanted to switch over, and checked over all of the previous owners work. Unfortunately there were a lot of loose bolts and problems, but I got everything taken care of.

Motor out! Ready to go into its new home.

At this point things were getting pretty chaotic at the shop, but I just had to keep pressing on and getting things done! I would get off work at 5, eat dinner until 6, and work all night until 1/2am. Wake up for work at 6 and do it all again. This went on for about 3 weeks…

Things were starting to come together though, just have to keep pressing on!

Carlos came by and did some flexing, we got some shit done and…

The new car is alive! Finally. Took it to H2Oi and drove the car for probably about 14 hours total in one weekend. Everything was great!

Carlos put in some more work…
[hr]

Decided that I needed to clean up the shop a bit and knock some walls down for more room. Looking way better! If you look in the background of some of my earlier pictures (where I am in the engine bay), you can see how fucked up this place was to begin with. So it’s a huge improvement for ~1 year.

Spray painted my Silvia front to match, put some Eurolines on and went to some car meets!

Hit up the last Slideways event ever! Didn’t do that well but I had a blast! I got the ‘Scariest Driver’ award!

Last edited by wolfpack; 01-01-2015 at 04:56 PM..
wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
wolfpack
Zilvia Member

Went to 100 Drifters of December and some people took pictures. Definitely had a lot of fun, can’t wait for next year! Car ran great for 2 days of constant abuse! It was now winter and I had a few months before any events. Time to make moves!

Tore out the sound deadening… ugh never want to do that again!

Got my valve cover powdercoated! Looking good!

Peace out PBM skid pan!

Met someone who does body work and paint. We were able to come to a deal and quickly got to work on the car! First up was a bit a body work. I wasn’t too picky though, it’s a drift car.

Set up a booth in my shop and painted some stuff. What a job all this was…

WOW! What a difference. Couldn’t wait to get this thing back together. Things were really starting to fall in place at this point.

Got all my interior back in…

Wow, what a difference that made!

WAHHHH PSH!

I couldn’t believe what a difference it made. It felt like a whole new car. I was so stoked! Couldn’t wait to see it in the sunlight.

The paint came out great. Props to the painter! If anyone needs any paint or body work, let me know!

Drove it around to make sure everything was still good… you never know with these cars.

Devin took some cool pictures!

Got my car aligned, what a painful experience that was. I took it to a Subaru place because they had an 'in-ground' rack. However, in order to gain entrance to the rack you must first complete the obstacle course in the parking lot. Wut? Then the owner comes out, takes one look at my car, and says "You'll never make it on the rack, there's a metal lip on it". Then proceeds to walk away. Hey there, nice to meet ya, fuck you too. But the tech was cool and he promised me he would try his best to get it done for me! Awesome. I went to have a seat in the showroom where I proceeded to get treated like an idiot and ridiculed about my car for about two hours before my car was finally back on the ground. LETS GO! [For anyone wondering/local to Maryland, this was IAG (Integrity Auto Group) Performance in Westminister, MD. It's not my first time there, and all I can say about this group of goons is that they are the most cliquey, unprofessional idiots I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with. I stood at the counter for 10 minutes before anyone helped me, and when I said '240sx' it was like I stood up on the counter-top and yelled "I AM GAY!". People wouldn't even go near me. If you are living the low life and need and alignment I suggest you say fuck it, spend the $200 they will try to charge you on some tires and go fuck up the local business park!

The 2013 season begins! Finally got to do some more drifts, and was starting to get settled down in the new car. Things were feeling good.

Next up was the Drift Valley IV event. It was a 3.5 hour drive from me, so I was alittle nervous about the trek. I would be a long way from home. So me and my dad set off for Shenadoah, VA. About 45 minutes in…

Then another 3 hours later…

At that point I was wondering what I should do. I felt like the day might be cursed, but I’d probably get pulled over 2 more times on the way home if I turned around. Fuck this, we’re going to have the best damn day of drifting ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw5JBr43EfU

Great success! Had some of the most fun I have ever had behind the wheel. Man I was pumped! Everything was working exactly how it is supposed to. Can’t wait to get back out to this track again. What a blast!

After the 4.5+ hour drive to Shenandoah I decided it was time for a trailer. I was tired of getting pulled over and harassed. This way I can sleep/drink coffee/etc. on the way to events.

Got a sweet deal on a Safety 21 13-point steel roll cage!

I couldn’t have been more happy with this cage. Amazing quality and great fitment! Fit right up with my Mazworx harness bar. It really came together nicely!

Went out for some more drifts. Decided to give Bridge course a try. Was finally starting to get the hang of it when…

BOOM! Tension rod let go. I was blown. Really cut my day short.

I hate sitting there looking at my car when it’s broken, so I decided to lower it so I had something cool going on. I talked with PBM on the phone and they quickly had two new rod ends shipped out to me. They took good care of me.
[hr]

I was back out in time for Hyperfest and got to hang out in the car show on Saturday and do some more drifting on Sunday! Had a blast and the car was driving great. I’m really starting to get a good feel for this car, just have to keep at it!

Then I met up with my friend Paul who took some awesome pictures of my car! Big thanks to Paul. You should definitely go check them out at Bushido if you haven’t already.

That brings us up to where the car currently sits. The goal for the rest of the year is to get time with the car! Whether it’s a drift event, car show, car meet, whatever. I’m just trying to spend time in the driver seat and get the car out there and let others see it. I’ve dedicated the last two years of my life to this car and it’s finally starting to come together. I couldn’t be more proud. I hope you enjoyed my story, I will try to keep this updated from time to time.

You can also see this build thread here !

Nick
Old 07-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
alexander240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
alexander240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Badass story =d
Old 07-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
ayuaddict
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ayuaddict
Dude, cool car. I also enjoyed reading the "build thread" presented as a story. Good luck!
ayuaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
No 240.. No id
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (35)
No 240.. No id is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander240 View Post
Badass story =d
This. Very nice work.
No 240.. No id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
vehicle336
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
vehicle336 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nice to see a total autodidactic person tell a story of where they came from and where they are going. Good stuff.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
mantas
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
mantas is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
That is a pretty cool story. Gl with that driftlife. Why were the cops bugging you?
mantas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
LoL_FWD

LoL_FWD is an unknown quantity at this point
good Bed time story haha bad-ass car man.
LoL_FWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
niSm095
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (14)
niSm095 is just really niceniSm095 is just really niceniSm095 is just really niceniSm095 is just really niceniSm095 is just really niceniSm095 is just really niceniSm095 is just really niceniSm095 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Also curious what the 5-0 were bothering you about? I'm moving back to MD soon...wondering what I'm in for. Like the build so far!
niSm095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #10
SaNTi
Zilvia Addict

SaNTi is an unknown quantity at this point
<3 <3 <3 <3
SaNTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:10 PM   #11
Big Zee
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
Big Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Big Zee
Love the paint job!!! your car looks so good
Love your shop too, If I ever build a house, I'll be building a shop with a mezzanine so I can take birds eye veiw pics also haha
Two-Tone owner#011509-Lightly Modded
Big Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:36 PM   #12
corkscrew
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
corkscrew is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
awesome build dude
corkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:44 PM   #13
Big Zee
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
Big Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choicesBig Zee has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Big Zee
Also, loving the VS-KF's. they really set off your car
Two-Tone owner#011509-Lightly Modded
Big Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:05 AM   #14
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
See, this is what I like. You drive the shit out of your car, but you have still kept it super clean. Too many fuck sticks think "it's just a drift car" and see that as an excuse to have a pos and make it a point to not even attempt to clean it up.

Awesome build and a great story. I'll be keeping tabs on this.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:11 AM   #15
PureRush
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
PureRush is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Nice I like the transformation. Also interested in why the cops pulled you over
PureRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #16
1jzsilcoupe

1jzsilcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Quality build man with a great story, keep it up!!
1jzsilcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #17
benarovi
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
benarovi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
love your car, mines the shittier version of yours when you have the white grids on. white coupe sil front with white rota grids. you planning on getting a aero bumper ?
benarovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #18
Ramonesfreak2010
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Ramonesfreak2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Hey thats my burgundy hatch! Good work dude!
Ramonesfreak2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #19
wolfpack
Zilvia Member

Thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate the comments. Whenever I get the time I will try to gather up all the stuff I have done recently to make an update, be sure to keep an eye out for that!!!

The first time the police stopped me was because he didn't see my tag ziptied to my bash bar. Fair enough, he was polite about it and let me go. However, the second time I was deep in the sticks of VA and the officer busted out the ruler and all. Fortunately, I only had my bash bars on and no bumper so I did not violate any 'bumper height' laws. He scratched his head a few times, circled the car, and gave me a strict talking to about how I need to pay attention when I am backing up in case I hit my fuel tank . Thankfully I was able to get out of there without any issues because I was 3.5 hours from home!

P.S. - No grids!!! They're TE-37, purchased from member azndoc on here. For quite the deal at that!
Old 07-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #20
keifer
Leaky Injector

keifer is an unknown quantity at this point
First thread I've ever actually read. Usually if the first paragraph doesn't grab me I won't read it. This grabbed my attention and the pictures were also quality. Great car and build thread! Keep it up! Definitely subscribed!
keifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #21
tengo240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
tengo240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i wanna get back into a coupe ,but i like my hatch aswell , i need both
tengo240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:33 AM   #22
killer240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
killer240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
where is the like button
Old 07-31-2013, 02:14 PM   #23
d_nice
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
d_nice is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
great build keep it up ,,
d_nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:08 PM   #24
mantas
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer240 View Post
where is the like button
I think you mixed up facecrap with tapatalk.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:14 PM   #25
mantas
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer240 View Post
where is the like button
I think you mixed up facecrap with tapatalk. Hahahahah.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:40 PM   #26
WreckedS14

Trader Rating: (1)
WreckedS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nick, have you pulled the sr apart to see exactly where that tapping was coming from? I missed seeing you drive at DV.. I was at the dollar store using the bathroom. If you need to crap while in Shenandoah, I highly recommend the dollar store..

On another note, you need to get a passenger seat in your car! I wanted to catch a ride with you!
WreckedS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:02 PM   #27
alexisthemovie
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
alexisthemovie is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to alexisthemovie
Loved the read... that's what these cars are all about!
Old 08-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #28
wolfpack
Zilvia Member

Thanks guys! I wanted it to be the 'story' of my car rather than pictures of receipts and a whole bunch of 'smoke-and-mirrors'. I am happy that everyone enjoys my story, I am sharing it in hope to inspire others. I purchased my first set of tools at the same time I purchased the white car and learned everything as I went. I have completed all the work on the car except for the paint (which I was able to lend a helping hand throughout the process, at least). I bought this car with the intention to learn, and will continue to push my boundaries! I have a few great things up my sleeve for the car. Once I am over this next hurdle, I will have an awesome update for everyone! Thanks again, and stay tuned!
Old 08-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #29
slideslidegnarslide
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (29)
slideslidegnarslide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Seriously man beautiful car
slideslidegnarslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #30
STL240SXDRIFT
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)