Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
smellslikecurry
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (33)
smellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Spicy LS1 Curry Build

So I picked up this zenki in April. Really clean chassis for being a NY car. Got it for a great deal. It had an freshly rebuilt SR in it and looked like this...

PS Phillip please excuse the grammar and punctuation.

You can see in the last pic that something was up with that front end. The core support was slightly tweaked. The paint is in pretty good condition...no big dents or scratches.

First couple of days I didn't really do anything with the car. Brought it over to a good friend's shop, Tarmac SPL. If you're from NY and you bring your 240sx to a different shop you need to stop and bring it to Damian. I hope this build thread will be a testament to the quality of his work. Damian eats, sleeps, craps 240s.

Here's the car at Tarmac already looking better.

Got bored and cut a heart out in my bumper

The car came with these awesome 18x7 +45 or something jdm tyte hella flush wheels. They were too awesome for my car so I decided to sell them and get in touch with Ravspec for some new wheels. Calvin's the man. He's local and always does his best to hook us up.

JDM / USDM Auto Performance Parts Wholesale - Specialized in STI, EV0, 350Z - Ravspeconline.com

a week or two later we have...

aka stop buying knock off bullshit

got some kics for a great deal with my wheels.

This car will never be drift hellaflush so sorry fanboys. These tires are just temp rollers. I'll need traction and a whole lot of it so my next tire setup will probably be a set of semi-slicks. 275/35/18 all around most likely. Yes I will be going widebody.

A friend of mine was selling his Navan setup so I scooped that up at the same time as well. Slapped it all on that night

Snapped some pics the next morning...FJ daily in the background. I love that damn thing.

please excuse the POS winter beater bmw in the back

The sides of the navan bumper were cracked at the mounting points so we just used some zebra tape to hold it together for now. The entire car is getting painted soon.

The dirty ass engine bay started to get to me as well as the bent radiator support so we yanked the motor out and towed the car over to the HRE FAB to build me a a crash bar/rad support.

Austin and his dad Jim Harvey run the show over there. They can build you anything. I'll let the pictures do the talking. They're on zilvia...here's Austin's profile...

http://zilvia.net/f/members/streetz.html

Hit him up if you need any sort of fabrication. If you can't get in touch with him PM me and I'll relay the message.

THE STUD HIMSELF

so handsome

yesss work that ish

nice welds bro

next up was primer...you can see the headlight brackets and hood pin brackets in this pic as well

orange swag

then came paint...i could tell you the paint code but then i would have to kill you.

the color is insane...looks different in different lights but still so ridiculous. 600+hp RB build going into the black kouki in the background.

So while Austin was busy with the front end, I was in talks with mazworx about building a sick sr20vet setup. In the meantime, Damian, like the devil was whispering in my ear about doing an LS swap. The more and more I thought about it the more it just made sense. 15k into a sr20vet motor and still worrying about blowing the motor when I beat it up. The stress wasn't worth it.

LS it was. Damian was also planning on doing an LS2 swap into his beautiful S14 seen here...

We started looking into swap kits..

One of the Tarmac customers had just picked up an LS1 for his S14 and went with the sikky kit so we were leaning towards sikky. I did some research and stumbled upon Fueled Performance's LS mount kit.

Fueled Racing Performance

Todd is the man. Extremely helpful and excellent customer service. For real. FP > SIKKY ALL DAY

They claimed that we dont have to bang the tranny tunnel and that the motor sits lower and farther back in the car when compared to sikky. We also dont need a new sway bar! We were sold. The kits however were on backorder. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. We bought 3 and and now Tarmac is an authorized dealer for Fueled Performance mount kits.

I also picked up a LS1 out of a 04 GTO and had it mildly built. I wanted to keep things as reliable as possible. I took off the valve covers to have them powder coated in wrinkle black and the coilpack brackets in white.

Then I saran wrapped the motor for extra HP.

all three LS motors at the shop...

While we waited for the mount kit to come in I started gathering parts. Here's the parts list as of yet.

2004 GTO LS1 - 24k miles
M2 CNC heads [email protected]
baby Comp cam - 214/224/559/567
ARP rod bolts
PAC springs
Manely pushrods
ASP UDP
MSD plug wires
160 Thermostat
Melling Oil Pump
Setrab 32row oil cooler 22X7.5
Custom 3.5 exhaust
7/8'' long tube headers
Trust oil filter relocation kit with thermostat
Griffin Radiator w/fan and shroud
Setrab power steering cooler
Custom cabon air box
GTO T56 6spd transmission
Diamond racing stage 2 clutch
Diamond racing 15lb flywheel
Aluminum one piece driveshaft
Short throw shifter
Delrin shift knob
Tein he drift spec winding master coilovers
Nismo power brace
SPL Tension rods
SPL Outer Tie Rod
SPL Brake deflector
Modified knuckles courtesy of Johnny 5
SPL RUCA
SPL Toe rod
SPL Traction rod
SPL eccentric lockout
Project Mu Front BBK
Custom brake brackets - the Mus were off a 370z
Project Mu rear rotors
300zx rear calipers
Project Mu rear pads
ASD Agency power braided lines
Hydraulic ebrake
Wilwood brake proportioning valve
custom tube front end
custom crash bar
Spare tire delete
Navan aero
URAS hood vent
DMAX trunk spoiler
Navan tachi-s super rare driver side seat
DMAX floor mats
Ganananador mirrors
German glass headlights
Custom rear diffuser
18x9.5 Rays Gramlights
Project kics neochrome lug nuts

Last edited by smellslikecurry; 09-15-2012 at 08:53 AM..
smellslikecurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Very nice. I'll be watching this thread.

I'm guessing the car had a light front end collision causing the tweaked core support?
Old 09-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
AceUp
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
AceUp is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I can careless about v8's but i vouch for Fueled Racing Kits. Todd makes great kits. lets u use your stock sway bar and fitment is great!! good choice
Old 09-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
smellslikecurry
Post Whore!

smellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfectionsmellslikecurry is close to perfection
POR15'd the chassis

FINAAAAAAALLLY after two monhts our mount kits came in. AWESOME. We wasted no time in throwing the motors in.

Can't find pics of us prepping the motor right now but I know have them somewhere. We didn't do anything special. Drain fluid, put on oil pan, put on clutch, flywheel, new slave and remote bleeder, new arp flywheel bolts and we were good to go. ITS SUPER IMPORTANT YOU CHANGE OUT YOUR SLAVE AND ADD A REMOTE BLEEDER. The stupid internal slave is a mess waiting to happen and if you have to bleed the damn thing youll have to drop the tranny and nobody wants to do all that.

Picture of the clutch and flywheel for good measure

Tarmac guru himself Damian doing quick work on taking the steering column apart.

Damian and Young mean muggin next to the prepped motor

and in we go

Went in smooth as butter. Fueled kit is awesome.

In the meantime a RHD imported S14 came into the shop for some work. Fresh.

UPS was at my house almost everyday bringing parts in.

Griffin radiatior

SPL arms

PMU rear rotors

It was christmas everyday.

Please excuse those arms...they're not going on this car...neither is that baby griffin...I returned it for a bigger one! I also picked up a cusco cage from obeeeewannn. Cool dude. Buy his SC!

Last edited by smellslikecurry; 09-25-2011 at 08:24 PM..
Old 09-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
STL240SXDRIFT
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
STL240SXDRIFT is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Subscribed! Nice work! Car is going to be SICK
STL240SXDRIFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:43 PM   #6
StReeTz
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (16)
StReeTz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I was about to ask when you were going to start one of these. Nice stuff!
Old 09-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
Fixation

Trader Rating: (0)
Fixation is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
LS1! hellllsss yeah!
Fixation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #8
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
s13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13 @ fullboost
looks like a ballz deep build I digg !!
Old 09-24-2011, 06:13 PM   #9
Edwin562
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
Edwin562 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
baller parts...
Edwin562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:22 PM   #10
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
looking good
hoping you stick this one out to the end
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #11
User_Name
BANNED

User_Name is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin562 View Post
baller parts...
Seriously!
Keep up the legit work. Can't wait to see the finished product.
User_Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #12
murda-c
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
murda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to murda-c Send a message via MSN to murda-c
Your name makes me hungry.

Your car makes me jealous.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #13
thenooblet
Zilvia Addict

thenooblet is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin562 View Post
baller parts...
yup

msg lngth
thenooblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #14
brewster240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
brewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond reputebrewster240 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brewster240
wow. been stalking you on fb and had no idea this was mikes old car.
brewster240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #15
delado
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
delado is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
wicked man GLWBUILD!
delado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:26 PM   #16
Royal_T
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Royal_T is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Oh hot damn,,, Looking good bro.... Love where this is heading
Old 09-25-2011, 06:42 AM   #17
va240dude
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (161)
va240dude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 161 reviews
Subscribed, great work man!
Old 09-25-2011, 12:05 PM   #18
ze12o
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (26)
ze12o is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
You go through cars like nothing. Clean. I always love your builds
Old 09-25-2011, 12:55 PM   #19
smellslikecurry
Post Whore!

Thanks guys! Appreciate it. Tarmac SPL/HRE Fab have both played a huge part in this build. The car might belong to me but its been a collective effort. Heres a little bit of progress on Damian's S14. Ill update this post from time to time. His car is super clean. Started off has a 95 Zenki and has turned into a Vertex'd Kouki beast. The TE37s have now been sold for a new set of sick Advans. Damian's a firm believer of "do it right the first time or don't do it at all."

He's running a LS2 motor with the FP mount kit. Awesome AN setup as well as a nice tilted rad setup. The crash bar was built by HRE and powdercoated by Action.

The three bars going up support the hood latch as well as the headlight brackets.

Always deep in thought...planning/designing.

Last edited by smellslikecurry; 09-26-2011 at 09:47 PM..
Old 09-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #20
smellslikecurry
Post Whore!

Ok back to my car!

After we dropped the motor in it was time to tackle the wiring. Jon from Tarmac and I ripped the dash out and took out the body harness. We also ripped out all climate control related equipment as well.

Getting some some sun while we rip the wiring out:

ALL GONE. The headlight/turn signal wires were separated and extended. I'll get pics of this as soon as I can. It was super simple. Now the body harness including the fuse box is all tucked away behind the dash. We routed the alternator and starter wires as well into the car through the firewall. We still havent mounted it yet so when we do I can get better detailed pictures.

Damian is also a wiring whiz and handled the engine harness...

Can someone guess what kind of coilovers are sitting on the ground there?

Here are some of the pictures from underneath the car. You cant really tell by these angles but FP kit's ground clearance is A LOT better than sikkys. The headers are built to better clear the tranny mount as well. Over all I am super happy with the quality of their product.

The long black line hanging down next to the header is the fuel line. We used about 10 feet of black teflon AN lines wrapped in DEI heat sheathing and fire proof tape. Its all -6 and goes off the stock fuel rail down to a corvette fuel filter.

Looks like this...

It has a built in fpr. This and a walboro is all you need. We mounted the fuel filter up behind the rear wheel well. Its in a tight spot but its safe up there. Ill get more pics of this later.

Also put on the rear suspension arms and rear brakes. Shout out to va240dude for the 300zx rear calipers and project mu brakes. Gave me a sweet deal.

you'll have to excuse the dirty wheel.

We also started tackling some of the smaller things.

300zx 17/16 MC

Instead of dealing with cutting up my old BMC to take out the middle fitting, I brought the 300zx BMC to a local speed shop (SK Speed) and had them find me a similar external fitting. Much easier. Saves you a lot of time and stress. Jon at Tarmac did an awesome job of bending/cutting the lines to make them all fit.

Mocked up this carbon fiber heat shield I picked up.

Next up was the oil filter setup. The FP mount kit came with a sick custom moroso pan as well as 4 AN fittings. Two 120 degree fittings for underneath the car and two 90 degree fittings for the filter adapter. Originally I was planning on running this monster oil cooler through a trust oil filter block/thermostat but then decided to hold off until next season when things get warmer. I do plan on driving this car on the street until then and this monster oil cooler is just plain overkill. Its all for sale btw.

and here is the temp setup im running now...

Last edited by smellslikecurry; 10-09-2011 at 12:51 PM..
Old 09-25-2011, 01:31 PM   #21
7evil
Zilvia FREAK!

7evil is a jewel in the rough7evil is a jewel in the rough7evil is a jewel in the rough7evil is a jewel in the rough7evil is a jewel in the rough7evil is a jewel in the rough7evil is a jewel in the rough
Love that!
Old 09-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #22
smellslikecurry
Post Whore!

So this is pretty much where the car sits right now...I just moved into Manhattan for work and wont be able to really work on my car for the next three weeks. I finished up ordering most of the little things. Car should be starting up soon!

We put the front end back on because Austin needed to mock up my front crash bar. Nothing is really bolted/lined up yet.

German glass headlights.

yes you can see the numbers on the plate...car is registered under a different address. The plates will come off too...im ducting my airbox behind the openings in the bumper. I picked this airbox up and some 3 inch brake ducting to built a custom box.

plenty of openings to build some crazy aluminum ducting...stay tuned.

Mounted my $7 dorman awesomes overflow tank!

Nomuken steeze

Tarmac's very own Mike Bike doing some ballet

And his pooch Sushi

straight chillllenn

I bought some off road light bar mounts made for 1.5'' tubing and had Austin fab me up some fancy brackets for the radiator.

Then Damian climbed on top of the lift and took some pictures.

and then Jon came running inside all like wtffffff look at the skyyyy

looked like everything was getting sucked into one single point. pretty cool.

Austin came by and fabbed up this nasty crash bar...

680lbs? No problem.

HRE FAB
HRE FAB
HRE FAB
HRE FAB

Click the link.

Last edited by smellslikecurry; 09-25-2011 at 03:11 PM..
Old 09-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #23
JDM king240
Zilvia Junkie

JDM king240 is an unknown quantity at this point
dope and love the front support replacement
JDM king240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #24
MattRose
Leaky Injector

MattRose is an unknown quantity at this point
Looking good man, cant wait to see more
MattRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #25
yomisiu
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (16)
yomisiu is making a name for him/her selfyomisiu is making a name for him/her selfyomisiu is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
me likey likey
yomisiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #26
Fixation

Fixation is an unknown quantity at this point
holy shit this car is gonna be sweet.
Fixation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #27
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Olive Juice
Old 09-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #28
xBtony
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (21)
xBtony is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Super sick build. I love where this is going. subbed!
xBtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #29
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Damn, another great build on Zilvia! I love it!
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:03 PM   #30
herbieS13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
herbieS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to herbieS13
subscribed, wish i could start a new build
herbieS13 is offline   Reply With Quote