Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-31-2008, 10:41 PM   #1
2k1MaxGLE

Trader Rating: (0)
2k1MaxGLE is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR Having some SR problems...PLEASE HELP...

Hi,

I guess I should explain my setup first...I have an S13 redtop SR w/ top mount GT28R turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Z32 MAF, 800cc injectors, Greddy Intake manifold, HKS SSQV, full custom catback, all IC piping is custom. I am running an Apexi SAFC NEO as well as an AVCR set at 17psi. The car was dynoed and tuned at the same time the SAFC NEO was installed by Titan Motorsports in FL for 353 rwhp...but that was some time ago...before I acquired it, so I have no idea how it idled or what not then.

I'm in SC and there really isn't anywhere around here that I can take the car and have it checked out. One of my problems is with the engine idling...it just doesn't want to idle most of the time, especially on a cold start...sometimes it will idle great but most of the time its fluctuating or idling at around 500 about to die unless I give it gas, it almost even sounds like a misfire or something...but like I said especially on a cold start I have to keep giving it gas in order to keep it running. My next issue is with boost...when I first drove the car July 28th everything was fine...boost to 17psi @ about 75-80% throttle...pulled like all hell...BUT now when I'm under boost its like its barely boosting at all...boost gauge shows at least 15psi but the car just doesn't drive like it did...its almost like its hesitating or something under boost. It will take 5-10psi just fine and pulls decently at about 50-60% throttle, but at wide open throttle it doesn't even feel like its boosting, it feels more like an NA car...It almost even sounds like its hitting a rev limiter or something when it does this...Can this be my MAF going out on me?? I just dont know what to do about these issues, it was driving just fine as far as boosting and all went up until now, and I havent even really driven the car hard and dont really plan on driving the piss out of it on a regular basis, I just wanna know its there when I wanna use it...please help me out with this...

Thanks,

Matt
2k1MaxGLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2008, 10:54 PM   #2
Mikey88
Zilvia Member

Mikey88 is on a distinguished road
check for a vacuum leak maybe? boost leak? maf may not be getting enough airflow could be restricted somehow but most likely not just givin you some ideas
Mikey88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
2k1MaxGLE

Im going to do that in the morning I guess. How can I check for boost and vac leaks?? The car was pulling like an all out beast yesterday under little throttle...hard enough that it felt like the tires were going to let go at any second while I was going up the on ramp of the interstate...I just dont know whats going on....
Old 07-31-2008, 11:13 PM   #4
Mikey88
Zilvia Member

propane is one of the best ways to check a vacuum leak. clean your injectors as well if you want. dirty injectors can cause sluggish acceleration and hesitation as well and crappy idle.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:19 PM   #5
AznDrftr.
BANNED

Trader Rating: (3)
AznDrftr. has a reputation beyond reputeAznDrftr. has a reputation beyond reputeAznDrftr. has a reputation beyond reputeAznDrftr. has a reputation beyond reputeAznDrftr. has a reputation beyond reputeAznDrftr. has a reputation beyond reputeAznDrftr. has a reputation beyond reputeAznDrftr. has a reputation beyond reputeAznDrftr. has a reputation beyond reputeAznDrftr. has a reputation beyond reputeAznDrftr. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AznDrftr. Send a message via MSN to AznDrftr. Send a message via Yahoo to AznDrftr.
yea, more and likely you have a boost leak. he basically covered it.

Car feels hesitant at first, then kinda picks up?

dirty injectors, fuel filter etc.

check all that, but a leak is at least one of the problems.
AznDrftr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:28 PM   #6
2k1MaxGLE

not really hesitant at first, like bogging or anything, other than it taking slightly longer to boost...there is some lag but not much at all...my exhaust leak in the manifold could be causing this tho...Ill be fixing that hopefully this weekend. The other day it was pulling like crazy...and I wasnt even on the throttle really...

Changed to Z32 fuel filter (WIX) yesterday....
Like I said injectors should be fine and mass air sensor isnt close to the turbo at all...its down right behind the headlight and the filter drops down into the fender right there...

Last edited by 2k1MaxGLE; 08-03-2008 at 09:16 PM..
Old 07-31-2008, 11:32 PM   #7
Mikey88
Zilvia Member

plug gap maybe but not quite that big of a problem except more on the timing side.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:42 AM   #8
2k1MaxGLE

Alright...Im checking plug gap in the morning, vacuum lines, and possibly cleaning my IACV (dont think its ever been done on my engine), also Im going to check all connections between MAF to the turbo and from there all the way around to the TB...how can I check the TPS?? any tips?? Again I KNOW I have an exhaust leak at my turbo manifold but this wouldnt cause it to run so much different over like one or two days would it?? I mean its been there ever since I started driving the car, I just found it yesterday....

Thanks all...please keep the suggestions coming....and Ill keep posted as to how I fixed what....
Old 08-01-2008, 04:35 AM   #9
Z33dori
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
Z33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
depends on where the leak is at and how much bigger it go in 2 days.

i would say u have another leak somewhere.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:54 AM   #10
Nackers
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Nackers is making a name for him/her selfNackers is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Nackers
Possibly a leaky bov? Maybe its set too soft and is letting air out at idle?

Otherwise maybe check the tps voltage.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:57 AM   #11
Z33dori
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
Z33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
oh yea that could def be your idle problem

when i got my sr swap i had this antique HKS bov that leaked and caused it to idle and not idle. then while cruising i would pop it out of gear to come to a stop and the car would try to die.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:12 PM   #12
2k1MaxGLE

Hmm...Ill check the BOV...I got most of my other issues solved though...plugs needed changing and the gap was a little off as well so I went with a new set of BKR7EIX-11s set at the correct gap and that solved a good bit of my problems. I still have that leak in the manifold before the turbo though so I need to get that fixed and see how much that helps, maybe this is why Im not getting much boost at all in 1st gear...I can hear the screamer pipe on the wastegate under anything above about 50% throttle so somethings not right there...not sure what...like I said maybe its that leak in the manifold causing that. The idle still bothers me...once it gets warmed up it idles pretty good, its just at cold start that it doesnt wanna idle. Im also going to ditch the AFC NEO and go with a Power FC and a get another good tune on the car....

Shes got some kinks to be worked out but she runs great and Im lovin the SR power!!
Old 08-03-2008, 10:53 PM   #13
lazysk8er2
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
lazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
is the tune done on the ecu or just programming the neo? like did you send the ecu to enthalpy, jwt or something because the neo is only good for fine tuning a reflash not very efficient on its own especially with 800cc' and the z32 maf. check your throttle cable as well could be loose? i know one time when i was driving one of the ic piping came off and the car ran like shit till i got home (2 blocks away), now thats a big leak!
lazysk8er2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:02 PM   #14
2k1MaxGLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazysk8er2 View Post
is the tune done on the ecu or just programming the neo? like did you send the ecu to enthalpy, jwt or something because the neo is only good for fine tuning a reflash not very efficient on its own especially with 800cc' and the z32 maf. check your throttle cable as well could be loose? i know one time when i was driving one of the ic piping came off and the car ran like shit till i got home (2 blocks away), now thats a big leak!
Im not sure about the ECU...I havent been driving the car hard at all though. Im going to ditch the AFC NEO for a Power FC so Im waiting until I get all that going before I really drive the car hard. I only drive like 30 miles or so a day with it @ say 60mph tops...to and from school...plus once this semester starts Im going to park it and ride with someone else so I can get all this stuff straight.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:12 PM   #15
TURBOMAN
Leaky Injector

TURBOMAN will become famous soon enoughTURBOMAN will become famous soon enoughTURBOMAN will become famous soon enoughTURBOMAN will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k1MaxGLE View Post
Hi,

I guess I should explain my setup first...I have an S13 redtop SR w/ top mount GT28R turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Z32 MAF, 800cc injectors, Greddy Intake manifold, HKS SSQV, full custom catback, all IC piping is custom. I am running an Apexi SAFC NEO as well as an AVCR set at 17psi. The car was dynoed and tuned at the same time the SAFC NEO was installed by Titan Motorsports in FL for 353 rwhp...but that was some time ago...before I acquired it, so I have no idea how it idled or what not then.

I'm in SC and there really isn't anywhere around here that I can take the car and have it checked out. One of my problems is with the engine idling...it just doesn't want to idle most of the time, especially on a cold start...sometimes it will idle great but most of the time its fluctuating or idling at around 500 about to die unless I give it gas, it almost even sounds like a misfire or something...but like I said especially on a cold start I have to keep giving it gas in order to keep it running. My next issue is with boost...when I first drove the car July 28th everything was fine...boost to 17psi @ about 75-80% throttle...pulled like all hell...BUT now when I'm under boost its like its barely boosting at all...boost gauge shows at least 15psi but the car just doesn't drive like it did...its almost like its hesitating or something under boost. It will take 5-10psi just fine and pulls decently at about 50-60% throttle, but at wide open throttle it doesn't even feel like its boosting, it feels more like an NA car...It almost even sounds like its hitting a rev limiter or something when it does this...Can this be my MAF going out on me?? I just dont know what to do about these issues, it was driving just fine as far as boosting and all went up until now, and I havent even really driven the car hard and dont really plan on driving the piss out of it on a regular basis, I just wanna know its there when I wanna use it...please help me out with this...

Thanks,

Matt

Check your wasted Gate....
TURBOMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:16 AM   #16
Nackers
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Nackers is making a name for him/her selfNackers is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Nackers
One other thing I thought of the other day and couldn't find your post, but even though your symptoms don't really sound like it compleatly, but maybe your coolant temp sensor is bad going to the ecu, not the gauge in the cluster.

I've never experienced this, but I've heard that the car won't idle but also wouldn't drive very good (bogging and such). IDK, if there is a way to check it, but you may wanna look that up.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:00 AM   #17
2k1MaxGLE

Im gonna ditch the AFC and go ROM tuned ECU for now...might lose a little power might not but hey its more reliable and probably will help to fix a couple of my issues...then I can throw any possibility of the AFC screwing with things out the window...
Old 08-06-2008, 09:18 PM   #18
lazysk8er2
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
lazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud oflazysk8er2 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
contact enthalpy for your rom tune my friend used their tune and was completely satisfied just dont make the mistake of buying jdm tuned ecu's apparently they arent very usdm friendly. i bought a tomei tuned one and everyone tells me to throw it out dunno why...have you tried changing your maf yet?
lazysk8er2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #19
2k1MaxGLE

Thats what Im doing...going the Enthalpy ROM tune route...gonna get injectors flow tested though so I KNOW for sure which ones are in the car...