Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-12-2006, 08:02 AM   #1
Cashizslick
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Cashizslick can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Will an aftermarket diff for S13/S14 fit a J30 (R200V)???

Hey all,

I have not been able to get a straight answer on this issue.

Would a Kaaz/Quaife/OBX aftermarket diff designed for a 240sx (as a replacement for the OEM Open Slip unit) fit a J30 diff setup?

The reason I am asking is because right now i have a J30 installed on my S14 . . . its totally shot and I want to replace it as cost effectively as possible.

I could go out and buy an open slip stock diff setup and have the aftermarket piece istalled into that, but I want to know if it is possible to retain the J30 pumpkin, gearing, and casing and use them with the aftermarket unit.

Thanks in advance,

Cash
Cashizslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2006, 08:38 AM   #2
Replicant_S14
Zilvia Junkie

Replicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of lightReplicant_S14 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashizslick

The reason I am asking is because right now i have a J30 installed on my S14 . . . its totally shot and I want to replace it as cost effectively as possible.
I don't know the answer to that but there are a bunch of 240sx open diffs around being used as doorstops. You could probably get one for next to nothing and it might be worth it to get your gearing back.

I'm in the same boat btw.
Rules of Boozing #10: Do not make eye contact with the bartender if you do not want a drink.
Replicant_S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:55 AM   #3
Cashizslick
Zilvia Junkie

Ya, although the J30's gearing is so nice on the highway, its easy enough to go back to a stock diff and swap in an aftermarket unit.

Maybe ill just ditch the J30 and go aftermarket/OEM Open diff.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:59 AM   #4
Jung918
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Jung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfectionJung918 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I picked up and open for $45. They are pretty much everywhere. You can always call KAAZ. Talk to Ray and ask him. He is a really nice guy and I recommend them.
Jung918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:42 AM   #5
orion::S14
Nissanaholic!

orion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud oforion::S14 has much to be proud of
The short answer: YES.

A R&P set might not fit, sinc eht eJ30 has a longer pinion..but KAAZ and the like just replace the center section (the open diff unit, or the VLSD)...

...so as long as the aftermarket diff you buy is intended to be installed into an R200 VLSD (different outut shafts as compared to open diff models of aftermarket diffs)...then you're set.

- Brian
Old 09-12-2006, 09:51 AM   #6
Cashizslick
Zilvia Junkie

So then an LSD that fits an R200 wont necessarily fit an R200V?

If its the center unit does it matter?

Thanks for the replies - rep given.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:07 AM   #7
MOUNTAINGARAGE
Zilvia Member

MOUNTAINGARAGE is making a name for him/her selfMOUNTAINGARAGE is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
So then an LSD that fits an R200 wont necessarily fit an R200V?

If its the center unit does it matter?

Thanks for the replies - rep given.
no it won't fit. if you have a factory r200v, you will need to replace the center lsd with one made for a factory installed vlsd/diff/r&p.

for example:

Kaaz lsd for factory Vlsd: DBN2625
Kaaz lsd for Factory open: DBN2620

hope I helped.
MOUNTAINGARAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:37 AM   #8
Cashizslick
Zilvia Junkie

cool.

So just to clarify: Any diff made for a factory VLSD will fit the J30 & 240sx VLSD modles?

Good info BTW
Old 09-12-2006, 12:26 PM   #9
MOUNTAINGARAGE
Zilvia Member

MOUNTAINGARAGE is making a name for him/her selfMOUNTAINGARAGE is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
cool.

So just to clarify: Any diff made for a factory VLSD will fit the J30 & 240sx VLSD modles?

Good info BTW
pretty much, when you get an lsd, just ask for one that fits a vlsd...a good shop will make sure you get the correct fitment.
MOUNTAINGARAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:32 PM   #10
lonedrifter

lonedrifter is an unknown quantity at this point
s13

Quote:
Hey all,

I have not been able to get a straight answer on this issue.

Would a Kaaz/Quaife/OBX aftermarket diff designed for a 240sx (as a replacement for the OEM Open Slip unit) fit a J30 diff setup?

I could go out and buy an open slip stock diff setup and have the aftermarket piece istalled into that, but I want to know if it is possible to retain the J30 pumpkin, gearing, and casing and use them with the aftermarket unit.

Thanks in advance,

Cash
the only thing i know to do in order to keep ur j30 is to have it rebuilt, but kaaz makes a lim/slip dif just for 240's 89-98 it;s a direct bolt on, no fab needed, but it's about $1190 + shipping,
lonedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote