Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-21-2015, 03:50 PM   #1
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
S13 Rear End Mystery Noise

So long story short my car started making some weird noises from the rear end about a month ago. I've replaced both axles (one had a torn boot, the other was just 25 years old) and swapped out diffs (the welded that was in it had broken welds). Now there's a fresh diff and 2 new axles in the car and I'm still getting the same noise. If it helps narrow it down any the car makes the most noise when I'm turning. Any ideas? I've given the subframe a once over and I didn't see any cracks but I'm not positive...
Old 02-21-2015, 05:04 PM   #2
short-shifter

Trader Rating: (1)
short-shifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
have you checked the wheel bearings?
short-shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:25 PM   #3
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by short-shifter View Post
have you checked the wheel bearings?
Wheel bearings are both good
Old 02-21-2015, 08:28 PM   #4
OLDSCHOOLRICE
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (17)
OLDSCHOOLRICE is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
What kind of noise?

How did you rule out the wheel bearings?

Wheel bearings can be noisy/worn without having play.
OLDSCHOOLRICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:12 PM   #5
Ilya
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Ilya is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Driveshaft carrier bearing
Ilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:15 AM   #6
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDSCHOOLRICE View Post
What kind of noise?

How did you rule out the wheel bearings?

Wheel bearings can be noisy/worn without having play.
The wheel bearings don't have any play in them and its a clunking noise not a constant whine. I've had wheel bearings go bad before and this is a completely different noise. It sounds like the rear end *thunks* every time the wheel makes a rotation.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:15 AM   #7
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya View Post
Driveshaft carrier bearing
The sound is coming from further back than where the carrier bearing sits.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:58 PM   #8
Ilya
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Ilya is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Exhaust hitting the tow hook?

Two jack stands in the rear plus a wedge in your throttle body while the car is in gear might be your best bet
Ilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:12 PM   #9
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya View Post
Exhaust hitting the tow hook?

Two jack stands in the rear plus a wedge in your throttle body while the car is in gear might be your best bet
Nah its a clunking noise not a rattly droney exhaust noise. Honestly it sounds like I should be able to feel it in the car (if that makes any sense) but there's no feel associated with the noise, just a solid clunk every time the wheel goes around.

As far as the jackstands thing goes, I think that's what I'm gonna end up having to do. I'm just not too fond of laying underneath a running car lol.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:26 PM   #10
ModernMars

Trader Rating: (1)
ModernMars is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I had a clunking noise, then my axle snapped off of the output shaft of my differential. Only really made the noise when I started moving from a stop
ModernMars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:04 AM   #11
adey
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
adey is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
brakes look clean/clear and good?
egg-shaped tire? (or flatspotted them/one doing a long handbrake into a drift?)
all nuts and bolts back there tight and torqued? Do any maintenance back there recently?
Loose coilover nut?
adey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:25 PM   #12
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adey View Post
brakes look clean/clear and good?
egg-shaped tire? (or flatspotted them/one doing a long handbrake into a drift?)
all nuts and bolts back there tight and torqued? Do any maintenance back there recently?
Loose coilover nut?
I went and worked on the car last weekend and couldn't find anything. Everything on the driveshaft was fine, every suspension arm was tight, brakes are good and the axles are still new. The tires are complete shit but I know the noise isn't coming from that. I got ANOTHER diff to throw at the car because at this point its the only thing I could think to be broken still. We'll see.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:04 PM   #13
g2ic02
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
g2ic02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to g2ic02 Send a message via MSN to g2ic02
Coil over hitting a wheel weight? Which direction turning does it make the noise? Both directions
g2ic02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:08 PM   #14
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Could be diff bearings....diff bolts...sub frame bolts/bushings...there's a lot back there...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:24 PM   #15
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2ic02 View Post
Coil over hitting a wheel weight? Which direction turning does it make the noise? Both directions
Coils aren't anywhere close to hitting the wheels and the noise doesn't always occur, its just there most of the time. I don't drive very far in reverse but I imagine it would still make the noise going backwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
Could be diff bearings....diff bolts...sub frame bolts/bushings...there's a lot back there...
Spent close to two hours last weekend checking every single nut and bolt remotely related to the subframe and everything is tight. At this point I'm pretty sure I just happened to replace a broken diff with another broken diff, but I've been pretty sure the other 3 times I replaced stuff back there so I guess we'll find out.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:23 PM   #16
fatduece
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
fatduece is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Interesting mystery you got going on. Keep us updated.
fatduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:50 PM   #17
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatduece View Post
Interesting mystery you got going on. Keep us updated.
Will do, here's a pic so you guys can laugh at me in the mean time. Don't street drift kids.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:30 PM   #18
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Does it make any difference which direction you're turning? It could still be a wheel bearing, if the race or one of the balls has a flat spot. The ONLY way to COMPLETELY rule out the wheel bearings is to remove the axles and brakes and turn them by hand with nothing connected to them. With all the weight/drag connected to them you'll never be able to feel any roughness while turning them. Also, have you drained your gear oil from the diff to check it for metal debris. It could have a broken tooth on the ring/pinion or one of the side/spider gears.

EDIT: I see you replaced the diff. It is nearly impossible that you replaced the diff with another one that has the EXACT same problem.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:36 PM   #19
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
Does it make any difference which direction you're turning? It could still be a wheel bearing, if the race or one of the balls has a flat spot. The ONLY way to COMPLETELY rule out the wheel bearings is to remove the axles and brakes and turn them by hand with nothing connected to them. With all the weight/drag connected to them you'll never be able to feel any roughness while turning them. Also, have you drained your gear oil from the diff to check it for metal debris. It could have a broken tooth on the ring/pinion or one of the side/spider gears.

EDIT: I see you replaced the diff. It is nearly impossible that you replaced the diff with another one that has the EXACT same problem.
The noise seems to be louder when I'm going around a left turn (but it also makes it turning right and occasionally straight), it doesn't have to be a sharp turn; for example if I took a left that I could comfortably take at 100 mph at 40, it would still make the noise. I tried to simulate conditions by putting the car on jackstands and running it in gear with the ebrake slightly up to introduce some load but I couldn't make the noise happen.

As far as the diff goes, that's what I was thinking but I've literally exhausted every other possibility so I don't know. I picked up another welded for $40 so it seems like the cheapest part to troubleshoot right now and if it doesn't work I can sell the one that's in the car now.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:47 PM   #20
racepar1
Post Whore!

racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco345 View Post
The noise seems to be louder when I'm going around a left turn (but it also makes it turning right and occasionally straight), it doesn't have to be a sharp turn; for example if I took a left that I could comfortably take at 100 mph at 40, it would still make the noise. I tried to simulate conditions by putting the car on jackstands and running it in gear with the ebrake slightly up to introduce some load but I couldn't make the noise happen.

As far as the diff goes, that's what I was thinking but I've literally exhausted every other possibility so I don't know. I picked up another welded for $40 so it seems like the cheapest part to troubleshoot right now and if it doesn't work I can sell the one that's in the car now.
If it's louder going around a left turn then check your right rear wheel bearing. The outside wheel is loaded heavier when cornering so if a bearing has an issue it will be louder. It won't make any significant noise on jackstands because the bearing isn't loaded. I've heard all sorts of funny noises like what you describe from wheel bearings. If you've exhausted all other possibilities then pull the hub and check it. Hell, I could yank a rear hub in like 15 minutes. The trick is get a 19mm swivel impact socket.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:34 PM   #21
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
If it's louder going around a left turn then check your right rear wheel bearing. The outside wheel is loaded heavier when cornering so if a bearing has an issue it will be louder. It won't make any significant noise on jackstands because the bearing isn't loaded. I've heard all sorts of funny noises like what you describe from wheel bearings. If you've exhausted all other possibilities then pull the hub and check it. Hell, I could yank a rear hub in like 15 minutes. The trick is get a 19mm swivel impact socket.
If the second diff doesn't solve the problem the next thing I'll do is pull both hubs and check them over. I REALLY don't want it to be a wheel bearing because I don't feel like cheaping out on that and an OEM one is about $150 but we'll see. Both sides passed the jiggle the wheel up and down test so I'm hoping for the best.

Thanks for everyone's insight btw! Crazy how if you post a question legitimately hasn't been asked/answered on zilvia you get knowledge instead of trolls lol.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:14 PM   #22
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
If the second diff doesn't solve the problem the next thing I'll do is pull both hubs and check them over. I REALLY don't want it to be a wheel bearing because I don't feel like cheaping out on that and an OEM one is about $150 but we'll see. Both sides passed the jiggle the wheel up and down test so I'm hoping for the best.

Thanks for everyone's insight btw! Crazy how if you post a question legitimately hasn't been asked/answered on zilvia you get knowledge instead of trolls lol.
Just get a good quality aftermarket bearing if that's the issue. Rockauto has a Timken one for $78.79...
Old 03-10-2015, 08:30 AM   #23
anti tyler
GM2 (SW/AW)

Trader Rating: (37)
anti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfectionanti tyler is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Send a message via AIM to anti tyler Send a message via Yahoo to anti tyler
Have you ran anything over recently? Might be a little far fetched but you could have broken loose one of your subframe studs.

I did that in an old hatch and took me a year to find the rear end noise.
but that shyt has SWAG

KA-T for life!
Current for sale advertisement

anti tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:10 AM   #24
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti tyler View Post
Have you ran anything over recently? Might be a little far fetched but you could have broken loose one of your subframe studs.

I did that in an old hatch and took me a year to find the rear end noise.
As in one of the studs that the subframe itself bolts to? I'm not gonna say that I'm 100% sure that's not the problem, but I'm 99% sure it isn't lol.

I currently have a whole mess of suspension parts ready to put on this thing (not all related to solving the noise), just waiting for a day where I have the free time to waste 5-6 hours working on it.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:50 AM   #25
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Went and worked on the car yesterday, meant to both throw on the new FLCA and swap out the diff but I ran out of time. I'll swap diffs sometime this weekend and let you guys know how it goes.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:51 AM   #26
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Another update for you guys. I threw another diff in the car but I haven't been able to drive it yet. Reason being I put extended FLCAs on the car and my fronts rub the fenders now. While I was attempting to pull the bolt on spacers off I rounded 3 of the stupid little nuts that hold the spacers on and now they're hoplessly stuck to the hubs. I've tried drilling them off, hammering etc and nothing works.

Does anyone have ideas for how to get these stupid things off? I'm about to just buy a pair of new front hubs and brake discs to throw on the car...
Old 03-23-2015, 10:40 PM   #27
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Another update for you guys. I threw another diff in the car but I haven't been able to drive it yet. Reason being I put extended FLCAs on the car and my fronts rub the fenders now. While I was attempting to pull the bolt on spacers off I rounded 3 of the stupid little nuts that hold the spacers on and now they're hoplessly stuck to the hubs. I've tried drilling them off, hammering etc and nothing works.

Does anyone have ideas for how to get these stupid things off? I'm about to just buy a pair of new front hubs and brake discs to throw on the car...
Air hammer w/chisel bit, or maybe weld another nut to the rounded ones. The second option really depends on how much clearance you have...
Old 03-24-2015, 08:53 AM   #28
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Try heating up just the nut and use locking pliers. See how that goes..

Is the car super low? maybe its the angle of the axles causing some binding.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:18 AM   #29
robinsone
Leaky Injector

robinsone is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd drop the subframe and look at your subframe bushings, sounds very similar to a bad subframe bushing that I had, that wasn't apparent until I dropped the subframe. I mean it is more than 20ish year old rubber. My clunking wasn't apparent until I dropped the subframe and saw it was a bad bushing. If you have checked everything else, but haven't seen both sides of those subframe bushings, that'd be my guess.
robinsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:21 PM   #30
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Snapon makes some nice reverse rounded nut removers...I got mine for around 100 there should be something similar available through Napa or similar
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote