Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:18 AM   #1
kevinwandzilak

Trader Rating: (0)
kevinwandzilak is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No Cat Good?? Burning Gas!! Cruise control issue too

So im new to all this, seek forum help with my project of rehabing my 240.

My friend and i keep fixing things and its not fixing the problem, 1st some reason when i press on the gas sometimes the rpms drop, too the point where it will stall, 1st time i couldnt get it restarted but luckily i was on a hill. Its running too rich i think, and this is before i punched out the Cat, now it'll run like crap at startup and then click in and be ok, still havent done timing, but will that fix it. Is it better to run without a cat, initially soo much more power but now start up issue and running rough...maybe timing?? Any ideas you have on this will help.
Thought it was first injector problem, unpluged and it would start, so i bought all new injectors, yet still problem, changed coil, not sure he turned or twisted that exactly right, maybe thats it, how should it be?

Theres also the issue of the cruise control, i want it fixed, speedometer and odometer didnt work, rpms work though, and it used to work occasionally even though mph wasnt working, so i bought a new cruise control thing, new hoses that didnt work, then got $100 speed sensor, just made the odometer work, and occasionally at that, now friend thinks its the guage on the dash, we checked all fuses, not the boxy ones those are relay?-- how check that? anyone now what part that is?

Also i want to buy good spacers and tires, any suggestions, i want to turn this into a tuner car but dont have crazy money to do it, any suggestions, to do lists will be helpful Thank You

Theres also the issue

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
kevinwandzilak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2018, 08:54 AM   #2
staying_chuki
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
staying_chuki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

It wouldnt hurt to check the timing bro, the ignition timing. I guess maybe make sure the chains didnt skip a tooth but if it was good before i doubt they have. Have you taken the distributor out at all lately? Could have easily messed that up. If you do decide to check timing thoroughly make sure everything is at TDC before you dive in.

Pressing on the gas and stalling kind of sounds like a vacuum leak, have you sprayed carb cleaner around and just checked everything to be sure? Also unplug the maf and start it if it runs better your issue is prolly vacuum related or a sensor there. I had the same issue, running rich and stalling, ended up being a ripped intake manifold gasket my car runs great now.

For your speedometer and gauges, i would start by borrowing a friends cluster and throwing it in. Yours may be bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by staying_chuki; 04-05-2018 at 09:49 AM..
staying_chuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:38 PM   #3
kevinwandzilak

kevinwandzilak is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by staying_chuki View Post
It wouldnt hurt to check the timing bro, the ignition timing. I guess maybe make sure the chains didnt skip a tooth but if it was good before i doubt they have. Have you taken the distributor out at all lately? Could have easily messed that up. If you do decide to check timing thoroughly make sure everything is at TDC before you dive in.

Pressing on the gas and stalling kind of sounds like a vacuum leak, have you sprayed carb cleaner around and just checked everything to be sure? Also unplug the maf and start it if it runs better your issue is prolly vacuum related or a sensor there. I had the same issue, running rich and stalling, ended up being a ripped intake manifold gasket my car runs great now.

For your speedometer and gauges, i would start by borrowing a friends cluster and throwing it in. Yours may be bad.

Thanks for the thorogh response, since your the only one, do you think its better without cat once timing fuel issue fixed or better with for back pressure or something for the engine to run right?

My friend did the spray test for leaks, nothing. For the cruise control problem what about the relay(?) the box thing in with the fuses, know how check that? Also interested in wheels and wheel spacers, i dont have much money to spend but would like wider tire stance, and gearbox too. Do you know where i could find upgrade checklist phases tuner so i can figure out what to do, im learning all about this albeit slowly threw this car, thanks again, kevin

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
kevinwandzilak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:44 PM   #4
apex128
Zilvia Member

apex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enoughapex128 will become famous soon enough
Cars do not need back pressure to run right. You will make more power without the cat (up top where it counts), but maybe a tiny bit less torque. About your new issue, I would try unplugging the maf and seeing if it runs differently. Also you could check out the primary oxygen sensor. Could be causing you to run in open loop all the time.
apex128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #5
staying_chuki
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
staying_chuki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Well definitely check the maf man, they can cause some of the weirdest problems. Spacers and wheels wise, i personally prefer like a 17x9 or 17x9.5 with a 1/2 inch spacer, thats always been my favorite setup. Nobody can really tell you what route to go with wheels though, its all personal preference.

You dont need the cat, i mean i assume you are driving a n/a 4 cylinder lol they dont really need much of anything to keep scootin. Backpressure doesnt really matter.

For the vacuum leaks again, id say if you haven't already you need to very thoroughly check the pcv hoses for leaks, they arent easy to find sometimes but they can cause some real bullshit.

I really wouldn't do any upgrades yet if i was you, sounds like theres a few more important issues that should be worked out first. And remember if you're trying to get it to run good buy oem parts, you can always upgrade later and resell shit. Most upgrades require accompanying mods to really do a lot. Thick wheels and tires wont do anything when your makin 150 hp you feel

Also if you do check timing be careful and go slow, i did a rebuild on my ka recently and had to redo timing twice cuz i suck. And im not a newb either ive rebuilt a lot of motors, the ka is just a biatch

Last edited by staying_chuki; 04-11-2018 at 10:15 AM..
staying_chuki is offline   Reply With Quote