Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-28-2015, 08:13 AM   #1
Ugly SR
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Ugly SR has a spectacular aura aboutUgly SR has a spectacular aura aboutUgly SR has a spectacular aura aboutUgly SR has a spectacular aura aboutUgly SR has a spectacular aura aboutUgly SR has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SOHC fuel cut issues? (ka)

Really odd problem, I have a 1989 SOHC bone stock except and air filter from the previous owner. The CEL light comes off and on at random, doesn't seem to change anything. Also the HUD comes on after about 20 min of driving.. My problem is, randomly the car will not rev over 5k. When it hits 5k, it bogs out until the tach drops down to about 3...then can rev again. This happens completely at random and has not been related to the CEL or HUD working/not working. Normally I don't care, because I don't rev the car all that much, but I just want it to be in good running stock condition... Any advise greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Thedriftbadger is an unknown quantity at this point
You have a check engine light on and you didn't pull the codes?
Thedriftbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:47 PM   #3
Ugly SR
Leaky Injector

Ugly SR has a spectacular aura aboutUgly SR has a spectacular aura aboutUgly SR has a spectacular aura aboutUgly SR has a spectacular aura aboutUgly SR has a spectacular aura aboutUgly SR has a spectacular aura about
It comes and goes, sometimes I wont see it for a month. When it comes on it only stays on for a few min. I guess the code may still be stored in ecu?
Old 05-28-2015, 08:55 PM   #4
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Thedriftbadger is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes it will have the code(s) stored. Most codes won't even turn the light on. Read the codes, post what you find.
Thedriftbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:42 AM   #5
Ugly SR
Leaky Injector

So I finally pulled the codes.. what i'm getting is a slow double flash, and a fast 3 count

so 23

then a fast 4 pause, thena fast 5 count

so 45

then a long single flash

so 1?

I've been reading, so far Im not seeing what the FSM says about only the a single light at a time flashing. Both red and green flash...

Cant seem to find 23 any where, 45 would be a leaky injector. It is a cali car also

ideas greatly appreciated...
Old 12-09-2015, 10:56 AM   #6
Gingersmurf
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Gingersmurf is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...ad.php?t=20905

23 Idle Switch
45 Injector Leak

And i cant find any about 1.. pretty sure that's just a blink to tell you when the codes are being repeated. Can't confirm this though
Gingersmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:21 AM   #7
Ugly SR
Leaky Injector

Thank you.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:31 PM   #8
TwoHundredForty

TwoHundredForty is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi uglysr.

Ive had the same exact symptoms and my fix was cleaning the maf and making sure the 3 wires that connect to the maf are not damaged or gunky. Btw this was also on a sohc. So i hope this helps.
TwoHundredForty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:46 PM   #9
wuthbeo

wuthbeo is an unknown quantity at this point
Most codes won't even turn the light on. Read the codes, post what you find.
wuthbeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:06 AM   #10
Ugly SR
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHundredForty View Post
Hi uglysr.

Ive had the same exact symptoms and my fix was cleaning the maf and making sure the 3 wires that connect to the maf are not damaged or gunky. Btw this was also on a sohc. So i hope this helps.
I will look into this, thanks. I just went to have it smogged and it failed. blew 1500 something at 15mpg, but only 450 at 35mph... So maybe the leaking injector has something to do with this.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:06 AM   #11
Ugly SR
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuthbeo View Post
Most codes won't even turn the light on. Read the codes, post what you find.
So I finally pulled the codes.. what i'm getting is a slow double flash, and a fast 3 count

so 23

then a fast 4 pause, thena fast 5 count

so 45

then a long single flash

so 1?

I've been reading, so far Im not seeing what the FSM says about only the a single light at a time flashing. Both red and green flash...

Cant seem to find 23 any where, 45 would be a leaky injector. It is a cali car also
Old 12-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #12
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
time to replace your injector o-rings. remember kids, these cars are stupidly OLD!!!

a set of new o-rings will run you a whopping 20 dollars from most autoparts store. get yourself some vaseline, pull the injectors, slide old o-rings off, slide new ones on, lube the crap out of the injector with the vaseline (its a petroleum based lucubration that will dissolve when the fuel hits and will not cause any harm to your motor), slide injectors back in VERY careful (twist them back and forth when reinserting), injector will pop into place when properly seated again... after all is said and done, enjoy proper injector ring seal again

the idle switch issue im clueless on given ive never really owned a KA for an extended period of time enough to give a shit about the general operation of the motor.

PS: do yourself a HUGE favor and clean your MAF as well... a dirty MAF sensor will cause all kinds of stupid problems. go to autozone, buy some MAF cleaner (its in a grey bottle), unplug your MAF sensor, take the 2 screws out, take MAF sensor out, spray down with MAF cleaner, soak a q-tip with MAF cleaner and gently run it along the 2 small wires (GENTLY DAMN IT!), spray MAF again with a good amount of cleaner, reassemble!

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:07 AM   #13
Ugly SR
Leaky Injector

So the leaking injector is not the injector itself, but the oring? Would this cause it to run rich? Going to the store today to get cleaner for the maf. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:06 PM   #14
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
i forgot, single cams are top feed, heres a few things on how top feed injectors can leak

At the top O-ring where the fuel injector is located in the fuel rail. (Repairable – replace O-ring)
The fuel injector body (Not repairable – discard fuel Injector)
The fuel Injector pintle, ball or disc seat due to damage or corrosion (Not repairable, Discard Injector)
The fuel injector pintle, ball or disc seat due to dirt (Repairable – ultrasonic fuel injector cleaning)

a leaking injector can cause an extreme rich condition and blow out the spark in the cylinder from the spark plug. youll need to yank your injectors and figure out which is leaking. its not a bad idea to do a refresh on ALL of them given the age of the rubber.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:30 PM   #15
Ugly SR
Leaky Injector

all good information, thank you. I'm going to see if I can find a few know good ones to swap out. From looking at the them, nothing is wet or even smells of fuel..nor does it seem to be running rich. I recently changed all the plugs and they were consistent color across the board..
Old 12-11-2015, 01:42 PM   #16
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly SR View Post
all good information, thank you. I'm going to see if I can find a few know good ones to swap out. From looking at the them, nothing is wet or even smells of fuel..nor does it seem to be running rich. I recently changed all the plugs and they were consistent color across the board..
again, 20+ year old fuel injectors. instead of replacing them with injectors just as old, buy new ones. i think its like $120 for a complete set.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:05 PM   #17
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Check compression and spark plugs too...tuneups are never bad!
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:37 AM   #18
Ugly SR
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
Check compression and spark plugs too...tuneups are never bad!
Just did plugs, they were all normal, no signs of anything bad or leaking. Compression should be fine and wouldnt cause any of the issues I'm having.