Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-30-2017, 09:15 PM   #1
Tkoppab
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (22)
Tkoppab is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
TA71B #1 transmission stamp

Whats up everyone. Got a little question and issue. Just got a trans for my s14 and it has a stamp saying TA71B #1 on it. Sourced it off an s13 at the junkyard few months back but swapping now. Things is the mount doesnt seem to line up and it seems a little longer than my auto one.

What does the #1 mean. Ive done some research and people say theirs have a #3 or #5 and what not. I hope i have the right trans cause its freshly rebuilt. Help please need my car running.
Tkoppab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2017, 12:11 AM   #2
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
wait so are you just doing a 5spd swap now? or is the car already 5spd and you're just replacing the trans with a newer/better one?

s14 and s13 trans are not identical. s14 one has an additional hole in the top of the bellhousing for the CKP sensor (it reads off the flywheel)

also, auto trans and manual trans are definitely different length, thats why you need either a 5spd driveshaft or custom 1pc

manual and auto transmission crossmember are different as well

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:19 AM   #3
Tkoppab
Zilvia Addict

Going auto to manual, ive done a few already before but for some reason the trans seemed to slip right in, the mount for some reason didnt line up, maybe they gave me the wrong one? Got the 5spd driveshaft. It came off an s13 I know that for sure, not to worried about the sensor hole since i drilled it in and put the sensor in.

I have been sick all weekend so maybe it was just me being off? idk, but what does that stamp mean? Am I good or did i rebuilt the wrong trans lol, I even measured the bolts from the bellhousing and they seemed ok.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:55 PM   #4
Tkoppab
Zilvia Addict

Any ideas anyone?
Old 05-04-2017, 12:43 PM   #5
Tkoppab
Zilvia Addict

Oh knowledge filled heads of zilvia, please send your valuable input into this thread lol, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:52 PM   #6
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
There are 2 different transmission crossmembers for the S14, one for the auto transmission and one for the manual transmission. Since your car started life as an auto you need to either source a manual crossmember or modify the one you have.

Also, the cast #1 more than likely is just the revision of the trans you have. The 350z 6 speed transmissions have a cast number similar that will tell you if it is a CD001-8 or a CD009.

Last edited by tb13; 05-04-2017 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: more info
tb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:14 PM   #7
Tkoppab
Zilvia Addict

TB13,

Yeah I sourced a manual one but didnt seem to line up. Just dont want to put it on, throw in the gear oil and have a nasty sound go on in my transmission when turned on. I"ll try again this weekend and see what happens.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:22 PM   #8
tb13
Zilvia Addict

tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Hmmm, it should bolt right up no problem. Both transmissions are a FS5W71C, the S14 does use a different part number for its transmission, but all of the exploded diagrams I have access to show the exact same layout for both transmissions.

Have you make sure the crossmember you have is from an S14? Thats really the only thing I can think would cause an issue.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:35 PM   #9
Tkoppab
Zilvia Addict

TB13 yeah me too. But i bought it off a reliable source. Il
Old 05-04-2017, 03:13 PM   #10
tb13
Zilvia Addict

These might help, the crossmembers look way different:

Auto S14

Manual S14
Old 05-04-2017, 04:37 PM   #11
Tkoppab
Zilvia Addict

thanks for the pics! Yeah Im going to compare them when I get home today. I hope but im sure he sent me a manual one lol.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:07 AM   #12
Tkoppab
Zilvia Addict

Everything bolted up good. Lined up and fit. Guess me being sick on the first try threw me off. Mount line up perfectly