Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:34 PM   #1
NickTheDrifter

Trader Rating: (0)
NickTheDrifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ford 5.0 s13 swap...

First post, hope the feedback is good! There not a ton of build threads out there for the 5.0 and everyone seems to do it differently so i hope this will help someone down the road. After getting a 5.0 in a trade with a friend, I decided I was going to go v8. Never been a v8 guy or a ford guy so I'm learning as I go. Powers not a huge deal to me (my little KA kicked ass!) 350 to the wheel and I'll be thrilled but reliability is key. Especially since it's going to see rev limiter most of its life. I'm right in the middle of the build (or in the beginning, however you wanna look at it) and with only the weekend to work on it, i will be slow, so bear with me. Here are some things to note:
Motor:
88 thunderbird h.o 302
Full overhaul
F303 cam
Gt40p heads
300lbs Alex valve springs
New stainless valves
Alex thicker push rods
Arp rod bolts
Arp head bolts
Gt40 upper and lower intake
24# injectors
A9l ECM
Egr delete
Simplified everything
thunderbird mounts (i think, engine was in 3 different cars before i got it so who really knows)
OEM oil pan with original rear sump.
Shorty ford racing headers

Trans:
rebuilt t5 (hoping i dont break it)
Spec stage 3 clutch kit
Spec aluminum flywheel

this is right ofter i pulled the dual cam... no windows so i had a tarp over it.
photo 1 (5).JPG
There was a ton of rust where the battery tray used to lay, so since i have a tig welder, i decided to tube the front. Im super happy i did this, otherwise, trying to fit this motor in would be alot harder. Having no wheel wells comes in handy. wish i decided to do this few weeks later tho, i ended up getting a pipe bender, i deffinatly coulve made it alot cleaner. [sorry for the tilted pictures, im not a computer wiz and dont feel like figuring it out]
photo 2 (3).JPG
photo 3 (3).JPG
photo 1 (6).JPG

I built this motor myself. It looked like it had 300k+ when i got it, sludge everwhere. It was was sitting for a while before i got it, only reason i know this is because there a wasp next in 2 of the cylinders lol but i painted it gold and black with POR15 brush paint and primer if anyone is wondering. Best engine paint, i swear, the only way to take it off is a razor blade. Break cleaner doesnt touch it. its awesome
photo 2 (4).JPG

So now im starting to put the engine in the car and im running into issues everywhere. i had the original idea that i could Ford Explorer mounts, a front sump set up, convince my trans tunnel with a hammer, use shorty headers to clear the steering shaft and use the OEM 240 trans crossmember BUT of corse forums have conflicting information and NONE of this worked. atleast not for me. so the first issue i addressed was the oil pan.
photo 3 (4).JPG
This section of the oil pan was hitting the crossmember, the rack, and the rack hard line. i tried to help it fit with a hammer and that seemed to do nothing, i even notched it and i wasnt even close to clearing.
I figured out that with the oil pan off, the pick up tube itself was hitting the rack. not wanting to do a front sump set up, i wrapped the oil pan in tin foil (used a whole roll) and set the shell up against the motor, cut a hole in the side and got a good idea of where the pick up tube was routed and how much room i needed to create.
photo 4 (4).JPG
From there, i heated up the pick up tube and tapped it back about 2-3 inches. then went ahead, made my cuts and made my welds
photo 1 (7).JPG
I was still hitting the rack hard line tho, so i still had to go back and notch the middle of the bottom of the pan. ill get some more pictures in the next post. clears everything now
Next was the engine mounts. I just made spacers to go between the block and the mount like iv seen people do in simular swaps.

photo 2 (6).JPG
NickTheDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2014, 11:47 AM   #2
SteeleBrothersDrifting_Mike
Leaky Injector

SteeleBrothersDrifting_Mike is an unknown quantity at this point
Checkout concept-8 on facebook. He makes a full 302 swap kit for 240's or if you need any assistance he is more than willing to help
SteeleBrothersDrifting_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:45 AM   #3
gwmike
Leaky Injector

gwmike is an unknown quantity at this point
any updates on this?
gwmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:25 PM   #4
YoungKev240s13