Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-03-2016, 01:59 PM   #1
Sidewayz240'
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Sidewayz240' is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sr20det wont start without starter fluid

Hey guys whats up . I know i know , search the forums right ? I did so lets move on with this thread 👍. So i have a stock s13 redtop sr with a megan turbo mani , downpipe and cxracing fmic. So as the title says im having trouble with my sr starting. If i spray a little starter fluid in it it will fire right ul and run like a champ. Sometimes it will even catch on the second crank like a normal car. But the majority of the time i either have to spray a little fluid in there or bump start it. I do have 12 volts going to orange wire on ecu before startup. Fuel pump is priming . I obviously have spark and fuel because the car will run beautifully once started. Any input would be greatly appreciated, and btw i have a new z32 fuel filter so i know my filter inst all clogged up.. and i also have a new walboro 255 so i know its doing its job..
Sidewayz240' is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2016, 02:25 PM   #2
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Mine does this as well...could be grounds or fpr...usually letting my fuel system prime for a little before I start it helps...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:53 PM   #3
Sidewayz240'
Leaky Injector

What grounds could it be ? I ussually let it prime until i dont hear the pump anymore ( about 5 sec after turning key) i just now went out turned the key and let it sit for a good 15 -20 sec and boom it started right up. I will see if the same thing works tomaro morning. Thank you.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:36 PM   #4
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Check the sending unit in the rear of the car, common area for issues to develope
Old 12-06-2016, 01:55 PM   #5
Sidewayz240'
Leaky Injector

So priming it longer isnt doing the job anymore.. what would i be checking the sending unit for ? Doesnt it just see power and start the pump ? Its definitely priming. And it runs so im jus stumped as to how it could be a fuel problem..
Old 12-06-2016, 02:08 PM   #6
ools

ools is an unknown quantity at this point
It doesn't sound too fuel related, and if it is you can check in the engine bay with rental tools.

Sounds like it may be weak spark or inadequate incoming air.

Have you checked coils/plugs/wires/air filter?

Weak spark is also evident in lower power/bogging.

Also, check vacuum lines.

If all else fails it could mean that cold compression has been lost.
ools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:45 PM   #7
Tbone240

Trader Rating: (1)
Tbone240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Are the plugs getting wet with fuel after cranking? If not make sure fuel lines are not reversed. Also i had 4 injectors fail on me before so it could be that lol
Tbone240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:39 PM   #8
510skater
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (6)
510skater has a spectacular aura about510skater has a spectacular aura about510skater has a spectacular aura about510skater has a spectacular aura about510skater has a spectacular aura about510skater has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Double check the Orange wire again. I just solved a hard starting problem and found the orange wire had power on one side of the dash harness but had a broken connection before reaching the ECU.
510skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:52 AM   #9
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone240 View Post
Are the plugs getting wet with fuel after cranking? If not make sure fuel lines are not reversed. Also i had 4 injectors fail on me before so it could be that lol
Read the Original post and youll find that his fuel lines cant be hooked up backwards because the car will start and continue running after the use of starting fluid. PPL need to stop suggesting this when its definitely not the problem

Try adjust the ignitiong timming a few degrees at a time, I had and am having the same issue and it seemed to get better when I played with the ignition timing
kyral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 03:09 PM   #10
Jorgs_7
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Jorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really niceJorgs_7 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My buddy had EXACT sounding scenario, S13 SR in a S13 vert

would run with some jungle juice or a bump start, but cranking was a no go. When it ran, it ran great.

He said he "bypassed his ignition switch, wired in a couple kill switches and a push button start, and made sure the batch fire wire was getting 12v when cranking"

Problem was resolved
Jorgs_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:12 PM   #11
Sidewayz240'
Leaky Injector

Ive tried messing with ign timing but it still wouldnt catch..
Old 12-12-2016, 07:17 PM   #12
Sidewayz240'
Leaky Injector

I have noticed when its warm it catches 80 % of the time..
Old 12-13-2016, 12:50 AM   #13
metako42

metako42 is an unknown quantity at this point
The SR20DET idle control System is a complex beast and I'm having my own issues with it but the fact that it starts better when warm might mean the cold start part of the iacv with the temperature sensitive wax in it might not be working properly. Have you adjusted the idle using the factory method?
metako42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:48 AM   #14
S-Verteen
Leaky Injector

S-Verteen is an unknown quantity at this point
No start

If you pull the fuel rail all four injectors should pulse at the same time while cranking priming the engine to start. That is the orange wire 510 was speaking of and should only have power while cranking I believe!
S-Verteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:02 AM   #15
kyral
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
kyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nicekyral is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Verteen View Post
If you pull the fuel rail all four injectors should pulse at the same time while cranking priming the engine to start. That is the orange wire 510 was speaking of and should only have power while cranking I believe!
Do you know what ecu pin that is? I didn't know anything about this wire!
kyral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:38 AM   #16
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
It's the orange wire that runs off the plug for the dash harness.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote